[net.research] Experiment Design references

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (02/07/85)

Several people asked that I post my findings of recommended experiment
design texts.  I have started to write a little technical report
to be entitled:

%A E. N. Miya
%T Experiment Design for Computer Science: A Primer

This will take a bit of time before release because I'm busy doing other
research, but here is the list:

From my orginal list:

%A Homer H. Johnson
%A Robert L. Solso
%T An Introduction to Experimental Design in Psychology: A Case Approach
%I Harper and Row Publishers
%C New York, NY
%D 1971

%A William G. Cochran
%A Gertrude M. Cox
%T Experimental Designs
%I John Wiley and Sons
%D 1950

%A Donald T. Campbell
%A Julian C. Stanley
%T Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Research
%I Rand McNally
%D 1963
%C Chicago

%A B. J. Winer
%T Statistical Principles in Experimental Design
%I Mcgraw-Hill
%D 1962
				Russ Herman
				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh

%A B.J. Winer
%T Statistical Principles in Experimental Design
%I McGraw Hill
%C New York
%D 1971

%A Fred N. Kerlinger
%A Elazar J. Pedhazur
%T Multiple Regression in Behavioral Research
%I Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
%C New York
%D 1973

%A G. E. P. Box
%A Wm. G. Hunter
%A J. Stuart Hunter
%T Statistics for Experimenters
%I Wiley
%C New York
%D 1978

also recommend Kempthorne's classic text from 1952
_The design & analysis of expts_
Krieger Publishing, Malabar, Florida

From sille Thu Jan 31 22:27:54 1985
To: beau eugene
Subject: Experiment Design Texts

Hays's Statistics is a wordy but useful text for the development of
experiments. Winer is a good cookbook for all kinds of statistical tests.

You could have a look at "Planning of Experiments" by D.R. Cox (no relation
to Gertrude, as far as I know).  My copy was published by Wiley -- the
copyright date is 1958, but it was certainly still being printed around 1979
when I got mine.  This one is targeted towards "the experimental worker"
according to the preface.

(Was this one on your list?) How about "Experimental Designs" by W.G. Cochran
and G.M. Cox.  It's another Wiley offering -- mine (the second edition) is
copyright 1957, but again was available around 1979 (yes, you're right, I
was doing an M.Sc. at the time!).

In case it helps, by the way, the Library of Congress Catalog (ugh!) Card
Numbers are 58-13457 for the former and 57-5908 for the latter.

				George.
I will be citing other texts from chemistry and other fields, but
this is a start list.

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,vortex}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA