[net.research] Suppression of research presentation

bruce@haddock.UUCP (05/22/85)

/* Written  2:44 pm  Apr 85, 19783 by larry@anasazi in haddock:net.research */
> The problem is apparently that people do not want to expend the effort
> that it would take to fight the encroaching bureaucracy.  By letting
> bullies push one around, one just makes it worse in the future.
>
> Expect the day when you can't say "2+2=4" for fear that some foreign
> power may be able to use that knowledge.

The IEEE has also had papers removed from conferences by the DoD.  In these
cases it was because some or all of the funding for the research was from
the DoD, and the authors of the papers hadnot gone through the proper channels
to get there paper cleared.  I believe that this is also the case in the
other examples.

If anybody has heard of the DoD supressing a research paper when the author
received no funding from the DoD please post this story to the net.

--
Larry Rodis

UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!larry
                      ucbvax!asuvax!anasazi!larry
PHONE: +1 (602)275-0302
/* End of text from haddock:net.research */

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (05/24/85)

In article <20100001@haddock.UUCP> bruce@haddock.UUCP writes:

>If anybody has heard of the DoD supressing a research paper when the author
>received no funding from the DoD please post this story to the net.

It was my impression that the papers pulled from the recent Optics
meeting were not DoD sponsored.  Does anyone know for certain?
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (05/24/85)

In article <20100001@haddock.UUCP> bruce@haddock.UUCP writes:
>If anybody has heard of the DoD supressing a research paper when the author
>received no funding from the DoD please post this story to the net.

There are many famous stories involving cryptographic papers and NSA - but
it is arguable whether NSA is part of DoD.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
UUCP:   {ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs, leadsv, teklds}!cae780!gordon

earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace ) (05/24/85)

Dod and NSA are like the police and they have a job to do, they get paid
to prevent dissemination of research information.  They have a tough life
trying to keep us all in the dark, maybe someday they will achieve the
goal of making most of us "dummies" and then we can spend our time walking the
streets like zommies and drinking lots of booze.  The few people who are
allowed to view (and use) the research material will have a heavy burden on
their shoulders; they alone will have to solve the all problems of the
World.  The rest of us will have nothing to do.

> There are many famous stories involving cryptographic papers and NSA - but
> it is arguable whether NSA is part of DoD.

As I recall it, if you look at the official organization chart, there is
not much doubt.  The head of NSA reports to one of the people near the
top of DoD.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (05/27/85)

In article <89@ritcv.UUCP> mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) writes:

>It was my impression that the papers pulled from the recent Optics
>meeting were not DoD sponsored.  Does anyone know for certain?

According to Science April 26 p. 471, "Virtially all of the 43 contested
papers were produced by Defense Department scientists or researchers
working for defense contractors.  All were required to submit their papers
for clearance before presentation."  Also, "only one of the papers had
academic authors and none was derived from basic research."
    It does not appear that DoD has done anything here that was not
specifically written into the funding contracts, although the magnitude
of this incident has many people worried about just how far DoD can go
to suppress scientific information and get away with it.  The Administration
line is that research will not be subject to restrictions if it is basic
research, or on-campus applied research unless "there is a high likelihood
of disclosing performance characteristics of military systems, or of
manufacturing technologies unique and critical to defense."
    In any case, I think that everything the military does should be watched
like a hawk (:-).

				Scott Anderson
				ihnp4!oddjob!sra

dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner @shine) (05/28/85)

> In article <20100001@haddock.UUCP> bruce@haddock.UUCP writes:
> >If anybody has heard of the DoD supressing a research paper when the author
> >received no funding from the DoD please post this story to the net.

The most recent edition of the IEEE 'newspaper' has a story about a
conference where the DoD prevented publication of a number of papers,
and also required some type of 'nondisclosure agreement' for a conference
session.   Unfortunately, the details are at home with my copy of the
newsletter.

-David
sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

wilde@apollo.uucp (Scott Wilde) (05/29/85)

>> There are many famous stories involving cryptographic papers and NSA - but
>> it is arguable whether NSA is part of DoD.
>
>As I recall it, if you look at the official organization chart, there is
>not much doubt.  The head of NSA reports to one of the people near the
>top of DoD.

As best as I can recall, although the NSA may be nominally responsible to
the DoD, they pretty much do as they please ( Sort of like the IRS :-) ).
Not that it affects the end result, since the NSA is more paranoid than the DoD
ever thought of being.

                                       Scott Wilde
                                       ...!decvax!wanginst!apollo!wilde

dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner @shine) (05/30/85)

In article <20100001@haddock.UUCP> bruce@haddock.UUCP writes:
>If anybody has heard of the DoD supressing a research paper when the author
>received no funding from the DoD please post this story to the net.

I have more data on the IEEE incident.

In "The Institute", Volume 9, Number 6, June 1985, there is a front page
story titled 'DOD uses new rules to control optics group'.  The first 'half'
of this articles follows:

	U.S. Department of Defense restrictions on the presentation of
	unclassified papers at an optics conference in April has
	raised concern among IEEE members that new DOD regulations
	will hamper IEEE technical activities.

	The last-minute restrictions were placed on the Society of
	Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Technical
	Symposium East '85, held April 8-12 in Arlington, Va.  It was
	the first time that the DOD used new powers it was granted
	under the Defense Authority Act, signed into law Nov. 6, 1984,
	to control a technical conference rather than internal DOD
	activities, according to a DOD spokesman.

	Under the DOD orders, 16 SPIE papers were deleted from the
	program and 23 papers could be presented only in closed
	sessions, according to R. Barry Johnson, chairman of the SPIE
	Symposia Planning Committee.  He said that attendees of closed
	sessions had to sign a certificate stating that they
	understand that public disclosure of the information is
	prohibited and its export may be prosecuted under
	export-control laws.

	Johnson said the two major closed sessions were on synthetic-
	aperture optical systems and adaptive optics, which are both
	related to space-based technology proposed for the Strategic
	Defense Initiative.

-David
sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

bhaskar@fluke.UUCP (K.S. Bhaskar) (05/31/85)

Well, no doubt DoD has the right, like any sponsor, to have a say in how the
research is published, as long as the conditions are agreed to beforehand.
The REAL problem is that the overall funding for reasarch is increasingly
channeled through DoD.  Considering that the money is taken from the taxpayers
in the first place, this practice is tantamount to censorship and coercion
through legal channels.  In the long run, clamping down on open communication
in research will hurt us more than it hurts anyone else.

gene@batman.UUCP (Gene Mutschler) (05/31/85)

With respect to the discussion of the Dod suppression of the optics conference
(SPIE) papers:
Lutz@ritcv replies to bruce@haddock:
> It was my impression that the papers pulled from the recent Optics
> meeting were not DoD sponsored.  Does anyone know for certain?

There is a fairly long article in the June 85 IEEE "Institute", which
does not indicate whether the papers were DoD funded, but
according to the article, it makes no difference under current law
(the Defense Authority Act of 1984).  The DOD can either classify papers
which prevents them from being published at all, or it can require
all present to sign non-disclosure agreements for non-classified papers
deemed (by it) to be export-controlled.  Evidently in the latter case,
non citizens may hear the papers if the DoD grants permission.

I suggest tracking down the article for further details.

>	Johnson said the two major closed sessions were on synthetic-
>	aperture optical systems and adaptive optics, which are both
>	related to space-based technology proposed for the Strategic
>	Defense Initiative.

Actually, this is subtly biased reporting, of the type "make DoD look bad
by associating its actions in this case with a project that many people
oppose".  Synthetic-aperture optical systems and adaptive optics are of
interest to DoD for many things, and SDI is only one of them.  For example,
it is said that adaptive optics are already flying on spy satellites, which
even the most rabid space-militarization critics agree are a good thing.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology