[net.research] New Group Request

jrn@dcl-cs.UUCP (John R Nicol) (06/12/85)

    I am a member of a distributed operating systems research group based at
Lancaster University, U.K.  Since October 1983, the group has been designing
a distributed operating system called COSMOS.
    COSMOS exhibits a high degree of logical coupling and is designed to
operate in a lan (local area network) based environment.
    Would any other research workers/teams in the same field be interested
in setting up a new group (e.g. net.research.opsys) through which we would
be able to cooperate with each other by the mutual sharing of research
experience etc? If so, we would be happy to hear from you.
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!dcl-cs!jrn
DARPA:	jrn%lancs.comp@ucl-cs		    | Post: University of Lancaster,

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (06/12/85)

In article <229@dcl-cs.UUCP> jrn@dcl-cs.UUCP (John R Nicol) writes:

>    I am a member of a distributed operating systems research group based at
>Lancaster University, U.K.  Since October 1983, the group has been designing
>a distributed operating system called COSMOS.
>    COSMOS exhibits a high degree of logical coupling and is designed to
>operate in a lan (local area network) based environment.
>    Would any other research workers/teams in the same field be interested
>in setting up a new group (e.g. net.research.opsys) through which we would
>be able to cooperate with each other by the mutual sharing of research
>experience etc? If so, we would be happy to hear from you.

A very unfortunate choice of name. The Norsk Data equivalent of DECNET is
called COSMOS, and has been so for a long time. It will shortly be available
on top of Ethernet, so they tell me (you can sing that last phrase if you
know the song).
Is it too late to change names?

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (06/13/85)

In article <229@dcl-cs.UUCP> jrn@dcl-cs.UUCP (John R Nicol) writes:

>    I am a member of a distributed operating systems research group based at
>Lancaster University, U.K.  Since October 1983, the group has been designing
>a distributed operating system called COSMOS.
>    COSMOS exhibits a high degree of logical coupling and is designed to
>operate in a lan (local area network) based environment.
>    Would any other research workers/teams in the same field be interested
>in setting up a new group (e.g. net.research.opsys) through which we would
>be able to cooperate with each other by the mutual sharing of research
>experience etc? If so, we would be happy to hear from you.

The Clouds project is addressing some of the same goals (and more).
We would be interested in communicating with others about this field
of study, but I don't think it would require a separate newsgroup.
This kind of thing should fit within net.research (which isn't used
much), or we can do it by setting up a mailing list.

If there is a lot of sustained traffic, then we can create a
new newsgroup.  Lets establish a definite need first.
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/19/85)

In article <294@gatech.CSNET> spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>In article <229@dcl-cs.UUCP> jrn@dcl-cs.UUCP (John R Nicol) writes:
>>
>>    I am a member of a distributed operating systems research group based at
>>Lancaster University, U.K.  Since October 1983, the group has been designing
>>a distributed operating system called COSMOS.
>>    Would any other research workers/teams in the same field be interested
>>in setting up a new group (e.g. net.research.opsys) through which we would
>>be able to cooperate with each other by the mutual sharing of research
>>experience etc?
>
>We would be interested in communicating with others about this field
>of study, but I don't think it would require a separate newsgroup.
>This kind of thing should fit within net.research (which isn't used
>much), or we can do it by setting up a mailing list.
>
>If there is a lot of sustained traffic, then we can create a
>new newsgroup.  Lets establish a definite need first.

I think that those of us at UCLA involved in the Locus project would be
very interested in hearing about other research in distributed operating
systems, and would like to discuss important issues we've come up against.
I agree with Gene that net.research is a good place to start.  If I get
around to it, I'll try to post a brief description of what we've done and
what we're planning on doing to net.research soon.
--
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

jrn@dcl-cs.UUCP (John R Nicol) (06/26/85)

article (see immediately below), here is a sample of some of the feedback that
I have received over the last couple of weeks.

>    I am a member of a distributed operating systems research group based at
>Lancaster University, U.K.  Since October 1983, the group has been designing
>a distributed operating system called COSMOS.
>    COSMOS exhibits a high degree of logical coupling and is designed to
>operate in a lan (local area network) based environment.
>    Would any other research workers/teams in the same field be interested
>in setting up a new group (e.g. net.research.opsys) through which we would
>be able to cooperate with each other by the mutual sharing of research
>experience etc? If so, we would be happy to hear from you.

*************************** F E E D B A C K ********************************

Sender:	cognito%uucp.tjalk%uk.ac.ukc%uucp.kcl-cs@ic-jlab

We have our own experimental DOS, called Amoeba, up-and-running over here.
Our own group consists of Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Sape Mullender, Henri Bal and me.
I would like to know of other DOS's and their problems, and maybe share some
of our own. Such a newsgroup could be very helpful.

Sender: chuckw%uucp.babel%ukc@icdoc

	Count me in - I too have been working on a distributed OS
	for over three years.  I would enjoy a newsgroup that
	discusses the issues, but I don't feel it is possible using
	a 'public' newsgroup.  Why not just a private mailing list
	with the public knowing that there is such a mailing list
	available?  This is much better since a lot of mail going
	over the network is just trash.

Sender: jc%uucp.mit-athena%uk.ac.ukc%uucp.kcl-cs@ic-jlab

Hi!  Include me in your list of interested people.

In case anyone is interested, I've been using a distributed OS of
my own for about a year.  It's lots of fun to build one, isn't it?
I'll give you some of my ideas (and code) if you'll give me some
of yours.

The Conic group at Imperial is also working in the same area, and
would be glad to exchange views and results.

Members:-  Morris Sloman, Jeff Kramer, Jeff Magee,
	   kevin Twidle, Naranker Dulay, Alan Dempster,

Sender:	mark%tove.arpa%uucp.seismo%ukc@icdoc

Setting up the new group sounds excellent to me.

From: Omur Tasar <tasar@su-pescadero.arpa>

That is an excellent idea. I am a DEC engineer resident at Stanford
working on the V distributed operating system. We are currently porting
V to microvax based workstations and having lots of fun I must admit.
Let me know how this "network news" will work.

From: Mark Davoren <mark@cstvax.ed>
Subject: distributed OSs (Edinburgh)

....... but I certainly want to speak to people in the field at a more
in depth level than is usually found in news. Net.research.opsys would
allow me to make contact with other researchers in this area.

I am very interested in what is happening in the UK in doss and I would
like to know more about the work you are doing.

******** A  SUGGESTION FROM THE GROUP MODERATOR FOR net.research (?) ******
******** Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford *****************************

The Clouds project is addressing some of the same goals (and more).
We would be interested in communicating with others about this field
of study, but I don't think it would require a separate newsgroup.
This kind of thing should fit within net.research (which isn't used
much), or we can do it by setting up a mailing list.

If there is a lot of sustained traffic, then we can create a
new newsgroup.  Lets establish a definite need first.

*************	WHAT TO DO NEXT?  ***************

It seems to me that their is sufficient interest in the new group proposal
to give it a try. However, as suggested above the other two main alternatives
are:

	i) Use net.research as a starting point (which I feel is preferable
	   to ii).....), and

	ii) Set up some form of private mailing list. The idea is that this
	    list could be made public and any new interested parties could
	    then join the list. (The disadvantages of this suggestion are:
	    the problem of "advertising" the list in the right places so that
	    people are aware of it, and the higher probability of
	    sub-mailing lists taking over from the original "well-known" one).

Well, these are the options - which one do we go for?
As soon as a decision is made, we can start to take greater advantage of the
network!