[net.research] Technical Reports Lists

macrakis@harvard.ARPA (Stavros Macrakis) (06/12/85)

I would like to get in touch with librarians and technical report
issuers in order to discuss the possibility of making technical report
ordering, notification, distribution, and cataloguing easier for
everyone.  If you are such a person, please drop me a line.  If there
is such a person in your organization who probably doesn't read net
news, please ask hrm to get in touch with me, or mail hrs address to
me.

The idea would be that originating organizations would post their
lists in some standard format; reports could be ordered (if money is
involved, of course, some mechanism is needed for that); logged in at
the receiving end; and an appropriate bibliographic record made.

Right now, many organizations retype all this sort of information.  It
would be nice if reports could come with keywords and Computing
Reviews classifications, too, but that would be a refinement.

	-s

krovetz@nlm-mcs.ARPA (Bob Krovetz) (06/17/85)

> I would like to get in touch with librarians and technical report
> issuers in order to discuss the possibility of making technical report
> ordering, notification, distribution, and cataloguing easier for
> everyone.  If you are such a person, please drop me a line.  If there
> is such a person in your organization who probably doesn't read net
> news, please ask hrm to get in touch with me, or mail hrs address to
> me.

I've assembled a list of technical report contacts for a number of sites on
the Arpanet.  The list was distributed on Human-nets and AIList several
months ago, but I've added a few sites since then.

Online bibliographies at the various sites may be FTP'd by logging in with
id: ANONYMOUS and password GUEST (this only applies if you are on the ARPANET)

Yale:     Donna Mauri (MAURI@YALE) is the contact person for AI or cognitive
          science reports.  There is no online list of those reports, but she
          can send a hard copy list.  For non-AI/cognitive science reports
          the contact person is Kim Washington (WASHINGTON@YALE).

CMU:      No online list, however they do have a mailing list for
          notification of recent TR's.  TR's can be ordered over the net.
          The contact person is Sylvia Berry (BERRY@CMUA).

MIT:      There is an online list, but the publications office is undergoing
          a restructuring, so it isn't available at the moment.  A contact
          for ordering the TR's will be established at some future time.

SRI:      No online list of just the report names, but there is a list of
          the reports plus abstracts.  Tonita Walker (TWalker@SRI-AI) is
          the contact person.  Many of the reports are available for FTPing.

UMASS:    Department of Computer and Information Science (COINS), University
          of Massachusetts, Amherst.  A list of COINS technical reports,
          copies of specific TR's, or additions to a mailing list for
          notification of new TR's can be requested by sending mail to
          TECHREPT%UMASS-CS.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY

WEIZMANN: A list of the technical reports from the Wiezmann
          Institute is under {SCORE}<PROLOG>WIEZMANN_ABSTRACTS.DOC

OHIO:     A list of the reports from Ohio State will eventually be
          set up at SUMEX.   The reports may be ordered via US Mail
          by contacting Ms. Chris Putnam, Dept. of Computer and
          Information Science, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
          43210.

PURDUE:   There is no online bibliography and there is a charge for
          the reports.  Queries about availability and price may be
          directed to Dr. William Schalliol (schallio@purdue-asc).

UTEXAS:   A list of current reports is in {UTEXAS}<cs.tech>TRLIST.  A
          master list of reports still in print is under MASTER.TR.  Many
          of the current reports themselves are also available in the
          above directory, but they contain text formatting commands.
          The directory contains a file READ.ME which tells which text
          formatter was used for which reports (SCRIBE vs. NROFF).
          Reports may be ordered by sending mail to CS.TECH@UTEXAS-20.

UCLA:     No reports or list online, but you can contact Brenda Ramsey
          RAMSEY@UCLA-LOCUS to obtain information on price and availability.
          The reports must be prepaid.  Ms. Ramsey can also be contacted
          by phone at 213-825-2778.

BBN:      No reports or list online (no list even in hard copy).  Contact
          author directly about getting a copy of the TR.

PARC:     Maia Pindar (PINDAR@XEROX) is the contact person.  An online
          copy of the bibliography is not available at the moment, but
          Ms. Pindar may be contacted to obtain a hardcopy.

Rutgers:  Contact Christine Loungo (LOUNGO@RUTGERS) or Carol Petty
          (PETTY@RUTGERS) to obtain reports.  They maintain a mailing
          list to distribute notices of the TR's and the abstracts.
          The abstracts of recent reports are online and under:
          {RUTGERS}<library>tecrpts-online.doc.

Louisiana: Technical reports from Louisiana State University can be
           requested from Duncan Buell (BUELL%LSU.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY).
           A biblography is online and can be sent via electronic mail.

ISI:      Lisa Trentham is the contact (LTRENTHAM@ISIB).  There is a list
          of the available reports under {ISIB}<BBOARD>ISI-PUBLICATIONS.DOC

Stanford: Stanford reports are issued by four sources: the HPP (Heuristic
          Programming Project), the AI lab, the Center for the Study of
          Language and Information (CSLI), and the Computer Science
          Department.  HPP reports are available without charge by contacting
          Paula Edmisten (EDMISTEN@SUMEX).  Please be reasonable with your
          requests; no more than 15 at a time! There is no online bibliography
          available, but a hard copy may be requested.  There is an online
          bibliograpy of AI lab reports in AIMLST in [BIB,DOC]@SU-AI.  Some
          of the reports are available online and are so indicated in the
          bibliography.  Reports from CSLI may be requested from Dikran
          Karagueuzian (DIKRAN@SU-CSLI).  A bibliography of the reports
          is stored under {SU-CSLI}<CSLI>CATALOG.REPORTS.  CSLI will also
          be issuing lecture notes, and a bibliography of these will be under
          {SU-CSLI}<CSLI>CATALOG.LECTURE-NOTES.  The reports are
          available without charge, but there is a charge for the lecture
          notes.  There is also a charge for reports published by either
          the AI lab or the Computer Science Department, but queries as
          to cost and/or availablity may be sent to Kathy Berg (BERG@SU-SCORE)
          A bibliography of CSD reports from 1963 to 1984 is available for
          $5.00.  The department maintains a mailing list for notification
          of new TR's.  You can be added to it by contacting Kathy Berg.
          Updates are sent out about five or six times per year.

mcnabb@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/02/85)

Re: Posting by purtilo about tech reports here at the Univ. of Ill. at U-C.

"bibref" is just a local version of "biblio" with some minor fixes and
improvements.  The "bibref" database should work just fine with "biblio",
and can be changed into "refer" format without too much effort.