[net.research] New news groups for Distributed Operating Systems etc.

dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) (07/03/85)

I am re-posting this because it didn't seem to get out the first time.
If it did, and you've seen it before, "Sorry".

 I still think there should be a new group for  Distributed Operating Systems
 discussions, tho' net.research would be better than nowhere
 (or than mailing lists).   Why is everyone so concerned about new
 groups?  They aren't a limited resource are they (OK group namespace is
 finite, but BIG finite!).  More groups don't mean more file space (except the
 odd extra directory file) and they do allow us to get much more specific info
 instead of plowing through lots of irrelevancy to find the useful bits.

 Personally I would much rather have a lot of fairly specific groups -
 many of which I would no doubt unsubscribe to - than the present
 situation where some of the more popular groups are so full of several
 arguments and issues at once that even with 'Kill' files it takes ages
 to find that odd bit of gold that makes it worth sifting all that ore.

 Perhaps we should have a "temporary" group system - a "temporary"
 group would be created more readily than a permanent one (which it
 seems can only be created by 6 months of net discussion or the
 ignorant action of a luckless new Mail/News sys manager :-))  and
 would automatically be deleted when there had no postings to it for
 (say) a month, UNLESS in the meantime it had been decided (by a net
 vote?) to make it permanent.  I don't think this would require a
 massive alteration to all the net's software, as it could be organised
 manually by the few people who (it seems) do most of the work at
 present (if they are willing?).

(I'm just a user, I don't maintain News - maybe there's some hidden
limit to the number of groups in all that code?? :-))