[net.research] P. T. Barnum

fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. &) (10/15/85)

In article <372@ihlpl.UUCP> res@ihlpl.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) writes:

>To quote Mr. P. T. Barnum:  "There is a sucker born every minute."

It's a pity that people don't complete that quote properly; P. T. Barnum
said,

	``There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him.''

	waiting for Ponzi to incorporate to sell Newman's machine,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (10/15/85)

> In article <372@ihlpl.UUCP> res@ihlpl.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) writes:
> >
> >To quote Mr. P. T. Barnum:  "There is a sucker born every minute."
>
> It's a pity that people don't complete that quote properly; P. T. Barnum
> said,
>
> 	``There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him.''
>
> 	waiting for Ponzi to incorporate to sell Newman's machine,
>
> 	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

To those of us who remember what happened to the French company (ELF?)
a couple of years ago this is really small potatoes.  Now that was
a scheme to remember, imaginary rays probing the limits of oil fields,
faked computer graphics output, drooling government officials, and
best of all the spectacular disappearance of large amounts of money.
--
"Superior firepower is an      Ethan Vishniac
 important asset when          {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP (P.A. Layman [EE-SiDIC]) (10/16/85)

> >To quote Mr. P. T. Barnum:  "There is a sucker born every minute."
> It's a pity that people don't complete that quote properly; P. T. Barnum
> said,
> 	``There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him.''
> 	waiting for Ponzi to incorporate to sell Newman's machine,
> 	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

Yes there are several "Sucker's" born every minute.  Unfortunatey
in this case the true sucker's are likely to be the people that
have ridiculed the original posting without any investigation on
ther own part.  Indeed several reliable and independent sources have
confirmed the performance of this machine.  (See October's Science
Digest if you don't believe me).

I've often wondered if what it would be like to be living on a flat
earth at the centre of the universe.

Paul L.
sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP

rimey@ucbernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Ken &) (10/18/85)

>... Indeed several reliable and independent sources have
>confirmed the performance of this machine.  (See October's Science
>Digest if you don't believe me).

I haven't looked at a Science Digest in the last few years, but I
recall that the magazine contained much pseudoscience.  National
Public Radio was mentioned in a previous article.  Do they have staff
with scientific training?  I doubt it.  Sadly, even the NY Times
"Science Times" section is of very poor quality.

Two better sources of science news for the popular audience are
Science News and Scientific American.  Science News has more news but
more inaccuracies.  Neither magazine prints articles on pseudoscience.

I won't tell anyone not to read Science Digest and Omni and such,
but it sure would be nice if they glanced at Science News so that
they might understand which ideas are taken seriously in the scientific
community.

Anyway, this energy machine being discussed is nonsense.  Converting
copper into energy with an electromechanical device is ridiculous for
two reasons:

	1.  There is a conservation law that says you can't destroy
	nucleons (neutrons and protons) except by annihilating them
	with antinucleons.  You might violate this law with a super
	high energy accelerator, or with a black hole, but probably
	not with more mundane apparatus.

	2.  Converting copper into energy with coils and rotors is
	almost as implausible as building a fusion reactor with gears,
	levers and string.

Drawing energy from the earth's magnetic field is not as silly an idea,
but not a plausible explanation for this device either.  Perhaps
someone else can explain to us exactly how hard this would be.  My
intuition tells me that you would at least need an apparatus with
a size closer to that of the earth.

Perhaps the machine draws energy from cosmic rays.  Perhaps from the
motion of the earth through the ether.  This kind of speculation on
how this machine works is a waste of time.  The machine is a hoax.

Think about how to convert matter into energy.  But understand nucleon
conservation first.  Think about how to extract the energy of the
earth's magnetic field.  But think about this in the context of
conventional electromagnetic theory.  Think about violating the known
laws of physics.  But, first understand where and where not those
laws are known to be accurate.

						Ken Rimey
						rimey@dali.berkeley.EDU
						ucbvax!dali!rimey

friedman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU ( -Gadi ) (10/19/85)

You can also light florecent bulbs by holding them near high voltage lines..

                                       -Gadi

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/23/85)

> You can also light florecent bulbs by holding them near high voltage lines..
>
>                                        -Gadi

Or a radio transmitter's antenna.
--
All opinions are mine alone...