[net.rec.skydive] Lurk Me Not

kas@hp-pcd.UUCP (kas) (10/03/85)

     While making a jump last weekend, I ran into an interesting problem
that I think is worth addressing.  It has to do with "lurking" too close
to a formation while waiting for your assigned slot to materialize.
     The game plan for the jump was like this:  first form a snowflake, then
change to an accordian, then to a catapillar, then finally to a donut.  It
sounds difficult, but the transitions were planned to minimize grip switches.
In fact, the only moves which required some of the jumpers (but not all) to
drop both grips was the transition from 'flake to accordian.  I was one of
the few who had to drop both grips, fly to a new slot on the end of the
accordian, turn 180 degrees, and take new grips.  One other person was then
supposed to do a similar manuever and dock on me, thus becoming the final
"end" on the accordian.  This process was being repeated on the other end
of the accordian, so in all, only four out of the nine jumpers had to do
any free-flying after the initial 'flake was formed.
     The problem developed when the person who was supposed to dock on me
lurked too close to my end of the formation.  In effect, he was already
sitting nearly in position, free-flying close to his slot without benefit
of grips.  As I moved into my slot from my previous position and began the
180 degree turn, I backslipped a little so that my legs passed over him as
I swung around.  This, of course, caused both of us to suddenly drop 8 or 10
feet below the formation, and although we got back up, we ran out of time
before we could get in again.
     Needless to say, he blamed the mishap on me for backslipping over him,
but I maintain that he was "too close for comfort" and didn't allow any
tolerance for my manuever.
     The moral of the story is this:  Whether you're a skygod or a novice
RW'er, if you have been assigned specific slots and your "target" is not
there yet, keep a few extra feet away so that others have room to work.  It
won't take THAT much longer to get in when your time comes, but it WILL take
much longer if you bump into each other and go low.

             *
            / \
       |---/---\---|            Ken Scofield    C-9355
       |   Gone    |            Hewlett-Packard PCD
       |  Jumpin'  |            Corvallis, OR
       |-----------|
			{ucbvax!hplabs, harpo, ogcvax}!hp-pcd!kas

kas@hp-pcd.UUCP (kas) (10/11/85)

From: Dane Meyer <hp-pcd!rice!waltz!meyer>
To: rice!hp-pcd!hpcvlo!kas
Subject: Re:  Netstuff & misc.

Ken,
  The only comment I wanted to add concerning the "lurking" issue -- I
think that it depends totally on the skill levels of the group as a
whole and the "seriousness" of the dive.  If it is a fun jump with a
mixed bag of experience, then leaving extra room between slots is a
good idea (this is the type of jump I usually am on).  However, if the
group as a whole is on the talented side, and/or the group is
interested in turning lotsa points, then I think it is reasonable to
attempt to keep things tight -- and you take the chance of accidently
stealing someone's air.  Luckily, I don't have the skill level to get
on such serious loads -- we all get out there and flop around like we
don't know what we're doing and giggle about it when we get down.

Dane