[net.games.frp] Review of Swordbearer

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (10/26/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.games.frp
>From : ROYAL::RAVAN

Subj:  Review of "Swordbearer"

     After several years of running a variant of AD&D, I switched my
     dungeon to Swordbearer rules.  The following is a review of
     Swordbearer for those who are unfamiliar with it.

     The Swordbearer system was published by Heritage, after which
     (not as a direct result, I hope) Heritage went out of business.
     I learned that the game has been purchased by Fantasy Games
     Unlimited, and that the game designer is working on a new
     version.  I hope sincerely that this is all true, because the
     first version of Swordbearer, incomplete though it was, contained
     some very good elements, including the best magic system I have
     ever seen.

     Briefly, SB is a skill-based system rather than class-based;
     there are no rigid character classes, although areas of
     specialization do exist.  There are no levels either;  individual
     skills improve as they are used (and only IF they are used).
     This makes for more varied characters and more emphasis on
     role-playing.  Disadvantages include the difficulty of deciding
     which "skill" a specific action involves (is "diving off a cliff"
     really a "jumping" skill, is it a "diving" skill, or is it a
     specific skill all by itself?), and the risk of accumulating
     hundreds of different skills, each with a different percentage
     chance of success.

     The combat system resembles Runequest somewhat, in that there are
     various body locations, each of which may have different armor.
     Swordbearer does not use increased hit points to indicate
     improvements in a fighter's abilities;  instead, the amount of
     damage a character can take remains pretty much unchanged
     throughout his/her lifetime.  Armor can absorb some damage, and a
     successful parry or use of a shield will turn aside most damage
     from a single blow.  Damage to weapons, shield, and armor are
     more common than in AD&D;  if you pit your longsword against a
     foe's greatsword, it is very likely that your weapon will break.
     (Note:  all this does require rather more bookkeeping and math
     than AD&D.)

     The magic system is simple, yet has great subtlety.  It explains
     why mages hoard their secrets so jealously, why they live apart
     from humanity most of the time, and why the use of the most
     powerful magicks tend to draw mages toward evil.  If
     rationalizations are needed for limiting the abilities of
     non-human races, this magic system provides logical and
     consistent reasons.  Even better, there is a built-in safeguard
     that allows the DM to control the amount of magic available
     without disrupting the "world" too much.

     I will provide a more detailed explanation if anyone is
     interested.  If you aren't satisfied with any of the magic
     systems that have long lists of mostly unrelated spells, with
     little or no explanation of why they work or when they fail, you
     might want to pick up Swordbearer.  (Note:  there are some
     serious flaws in the system;  I have had little difficulty
     working around them so far, but they will probably demand major
     effort in the future.  Still, I think Swordbearer is required
     reading for anyone who is comparing gaming systems.)

     Miscellaneous:  Anybody out there play "Thieves' Guild"?  Anybody
     heard of BART (Brotherhood of Adventurers, Rogues, and Thieves)?
     (This isn't a puzzle, I'm just looking for other interested
     parties.)

/beth ravan/

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!royal!ravan

 End Forwarded Message