[net.games.frp] Let's see some superheroes

blumberg@ihuxw.UUCP (Marc R Blumberg) (12/02/83)

This is to broadcast my interest in superhero roleplaying games. I have
previously been a player in a (now defunct) V & V campaign, and have been
running a very successful Champions campaign for the last year and a half.
I would appreciate any advice/comments/correspondence from any other
superhero gamers out there, regardless of game system used.

					Marc Blumberg
					Western Electric
					Naperville, IL

rigney@uokvax.UUCP (12/08/83)

#R:ihuxw:-60600:uokvax:2400018:000:95
uokvax!rigney    Dec  6 12:50:00 1983

OK, here are some comments from a Champions GM, in three parts.

	Carl
	..!ctvax!uokvax!rigney

rigney@uokvax.UUCP (12/08/83)

#R:ihuxw:-60600:uokvax:2400019:000:2615
uokvax!rigney    Dec  6 12:51:00 1983

     If you've been successfully  running  Champions  for  a
year,  I'm  not  sure  my  advice can help, but I'll give it
anyway.  Details provided on request.

    I've run Champions for 2.5 years, and currently have 3-5
players  with  70  characters  between  them,  100 more from
printed sources, 120 from other campaigns,  200  of  my  own
design,  and about 100 more on the drawing board, in varying
stages of completion.  I'm a  comics  fan,  but  my  players
aren't.

1) The most important thing is to  read  comics,  and  learn
from them.  A world of Superheroes has more differences than
just the presence of  people  with  superhuman  powers;  for
example,  coincidence and irony play a larger role.  If your
players read comics too; even better.  Even  if  they  don't
(mine don't), they should have that spirit.

2) Get the characters involved, make them  care.   Make  the
players care, too.  This is true in all RPGs, but especially
in SHRPGs, because  motivation  is  so  important.   If  the
players don't care whether innocent bystanders get wasted or
not, a lot of flavor is lost.  This doesn't mean  you  can't
run  heroes  that  don't care about civilian casualties, but
it's generally more  fun  for  the  players  to  (willingly)
operate under the constraints of The Heroic Code.

     All this applies even more so to DNPCs.  A DNPC  should
never  be  taken  for  the  points, and you should use every
trick you can to tie the Hero more strongly to his DNPC (For
those  unfamiliar  with  Champions, DNPC is a Dependent Non-
player character, some acquaintaince or friend of  the  hero
that  gets  involved,  such as Aunt May, Gwen Stacy, or Lois
Lane).   Especially   fun   is   a   competent   DNPC   with
overconfidence,  that  keeps  overextending their abilities.
I've seen players  groan  in  horror  as  their  character's
Beloved sandbags the Villian from behind just before he zaps
the hero.  Of course, the Villian isn't  hurt  by  the  puny
attack, just distracted and annoyed, which hardly bodes well
for the Beloved.

3) Make the normals vulnerable.  In Champions,  you  can  do
this  by reducing the BODY of normals (and most agents) from
10 to 5.  This gives heroes much less margin  for  error  in
their  attacks,  and usually results in their having to pull
attacks severely, often enough to not be able  to  take  the
agent out on the first shot.  Also, it makes bystanders much
more fragile, nearly  insuring  their  death  from  straying
blasts, falling rubble, etc., if the hero doesn't intervene.
It also allows pistols to have a chance of  killing  with  a
single shot.

rigney@uokvax.UUCP (12/08/83)

#R:ihuxw:-60600:uokvax:2400020:000:3484
uokvax!rigney    Dec  6 12:51:00 1983

>This is a continuation of the remarks in the last response.

4) Consider and apply the  effects  of  superpowers  on  the
outside   world.    Wars,   Laws,   Espionage   (national  &
industrial), Industry (munitions) Politics,  and  especially
News.   The  more  detail  and  thought given to the logical
effects, the better.

5) Weave a tangled web.  Foreshadow later  events,  even  if
you're not sure what the events will be.  Throw in subplots.
Use events from the murky past as causes for current events.
The  more  tangled,  the  better,  as  long  as you can keep
everything straight  and  the  players  aren't  overwhelmed.
This  is  particularly  good  when  hidden  Masterminds  are
manipulating events to their advantage. The larger and older
your campaign, the better this will work.

6) Require pictures.  With the  aid  of  character  outlines
even  the  least  artistically talented can produce pleasing
results, and pictures of heroes and villians  add  immensely
to the enjoyment.  If you're lucky enough to have a artistic
player with some free time, (s)he might do sketches  of  the
major scenes, or even an ocassional informal comic.

7) Give the major villians style.  Some badguys are  losers,
just  fodder  for  the heros' egos; I use ENEMIES I & II for
these.  But there should be some villians that  the  players
have  to  pull together and execute perfect teamwork to have
any chance of defeating.  Examples are Magneto and Dr. Doom.

     An example from my campaign would be Quadros, which has
a  reputation  for  infallibility  so great that the players
despair at the very name.  Quadros  isn't  overly  powerful,
just  4 (maybe 5) 250 point villians, who can casually wreck
a dozen unorganized  200  point  heroes  with  teamwork  and
planning.

     At the other extreme of style,  the  players'  favorite
foe  was  Ratman,  with his ratility belt and insane giggle.
(and his sidekick, Raven the Girl  Wonder,  along  with  the
other   members  of  the  Society  of  Thanatos:  Ghoul  and
Darkling) He always lost, but he did it  with  great  style,
and  the  issue  was always in doubt - he *could've* won, he
just didn't somehow.  An example:

     Two heroes on a dock are holding  a  yacht  over  their
heads  (for reasons we won't go into now).  Ratman sneaks up
behind one with his Ratblaster, snickering softly, and  taps
the  unsuspecting fool on the shoulder.  As he turns, Ratman
triumphantly squeaks "Byebye,  superchump!"  and  pulls  the
trigger,  blowing  the  hero  into  the  bay.   With a funny
feeling he's forgotten something, Ratman looks up to see the
unsupported ship descending on his head!

     With a frantic "Uh Oh!" he throws  his  cape  over  his
head,  which does no good at all, as the boat piledrives him
through the dock into the bay.   The  first  hero  (who  can
breath  underwater,  fortunately),  then  grabs  the  soaked
Ratman and tosses him back up, where the other hero bats him
with  the  boat.   Exit  Ratman, sailing off into the night,
where his aching body will be scooped up by the Ratmobile (a
volkswagon  with whiskers and tail) and trundled back to the
Ratcave for some Rathealing.

     This sort of thing *always* happened to him, but  never
the  same  way  twice,  although  he  had a tendency towards
aerial exits.   (No,  Ratman  doesn't  fly.   At  least  not
intentionally.)  It  was immense fun anticipating his defeat
each time, despite (or because of) all his clever plans  and
low cunning.

rigney@uokvax.UUCP (12/08/83)

#R:ihuxw:-60600:uokvax:2400021:000:2451
uokvax!rigney    Dec  6 12:52:00 1983

>This is a continuation of the remarks in the last response.

8) As  in  the  comics,  no  situation   should  be  totally
hopeless,  although  it may seem that way to lesser mortals.
Heroes willing to take desparate chances should be rewarded,
defeatism  should  be  curbed  harshly.   Likewise,  tension
should be maintained.  Avoid Deus Ex Machina - if the heroes
foul up they should rescue themselves.  If they're inept, go
easy on them until they pull their act together,  but  never
just  hand  them  the  solution.   Encourage  creativity and
imagination;  accept  your  villians'  losses.   Avoid   the
adversary  mode  of  play;  it  isn't  you vs. them, but the
villians vs. the heroes, with you acting as referee.  If the
villians  aren't  familiar  with  the heroes, don't use your
knowledge of the heroes' weaknesses.

9) Deaths should be very rare.  In Champions this is  seldom
a  problem;  in  the first year of play we had only 3 deaths
(two by the same character,  Fireflash).   Using  death  too
much  cheapens  it and lessens its impact; it also makes the
players too cautious.  One of the big advantages of SHRPG is
that beginning characters are sturdy enough to last, so they
have time to fully develop their personalities.

     Likewise, resurrection should not be used  lightly,  if
at  all.  Villians disappearing in explosions, caveins, etc.
can be used freely, preferably  with  a  tale  of  ingenious
escape from certain death; but even these should not be used
so often as to make the players cynical.

10) Keep the power level low enough to avoid an  arms  race.
I  prefer  a  200 point limit on characters, with careful GM
control of what's allowed in.  If a character is  very  well
thought  out  and  need the additional points, I allow them.
This allows a single 400-500  point  Villian  to  work  well
against  6-10  heroes.  In a campaign I knew of, the average
hero was 500 points, and  games  degenerated  entirely  into
massive  dice  rolling  -  there was no chance to be clever,
because everyone's defenses were  too  high.   The  campaign
eventually blew apart under its own pressure.

     Less than 200 points,  and  it's  too  hard  to  design
well-rounded  characters.  More than 300, and the characters
become  too  well-rounded,  a  character  can  be  good   at
*everything*.

     I hope someone's found this useful, and not *too* long.
Any comments from other SH GMs, or comparisons to non-SH RPGS?

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/20/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.games.frp
>From : KRYPTN::TS1::BURROWS
Subject: RE: Let's see some superheroes

     Regarding Marc Blumberg's request for other Super Hero RPGer's
advice/comments/correspondence, we had a couple of very successful campaigns
here in Maynard. There were two campaigns and three GMs. I started the whole
Shootin match, initially laid out the campaigns and did a large part of the
GMing. Two of the players shared those duties, as I found that after the birth
of my first child (the second is immanent) I hadn't the time to do a proper
job preparing every week.

     Our first campaign started in a modern era with a scenario based on the
T.H.N.D.E.R. agents, because they were a group that none of the palyers were
familiar with. In my game, the powers of evil succeede in stealing the nifty
gadgets from U.N.I.C.O.R.N. that the THUNDER (to H with the periods) agents
managed to keep in the first couple of pages of issue one. UNICORN commisioned
the players to recover them. The first adventure was essentially our heroes
versus the THUNDER agents. Good won out and everything but the superspeed
suit, worn by Rusty (aka the Iron Maiden) was recovered. Rusty, her armor-clad
minions and a hireling she gave the supersuit to when she found out about the
fast aging side-effect were the next major oposition. From there the group
evolved when another GM introduced an East/West Super Hero escalation race
(the Superpower Super Power race), and a limitation treaty. The result was
the formation of the Freedom Alliance in the West and the Peoples Superhero
League in the East. (Many nations: France, China, Israel etc, had their own
national group). Both groups were equivalently equipped with satelite HQs
and gravity cars supplied by the U.N.'s UNICORN. This lasted until the
fateful trip the goup made into China to rescue one of it's members from
his father Fu Manchu. During this raid we found that Fu had kidnapped
Brezhnev, the US's Sect'y of (Defense?), and the Primier of China. One of
characters, Death's Shadow, a Spectre/Deadman sort who'd been returned
to a smbalance of life and charged to "punish the wicked" found himself
alone with the communist leaders, and killed Brezhnev. The arrival of the
rest of the party forestalled further mayhem. The PSL and the Brigade of Four
(China's group) showed up and there was a quick fight and strategic withdrawl.
Needless to say the USSR and China were unhappy. The FA was disbanded when
their involvement became undeniable.

     The other campaign was first played on Dec, 7 1982 and took place on
another Dec 7th. It was directly based on the All Star Squadron. I built all
of the A.S.S. (some things require periods) members except the Superman, GL,
Spectre level ones, and everybody selected one rather than designing their
own. Most of the scenarios were at least partially based on the comic
adventures and some were lifted bodily. (Everyone but the GM postponed reading
the comics till after they were played out.) It was interesting to see the
similarities and difrences between the writers and the players resolutions of
the same or similar situations. I got a much more favorable reaction to
this campaign than I had expected.

     So much for the history. Maybe I'll describe the characters in more
detail in a later note. I do have some thoughts and suggestions though, mostly
for people who are starting a new campaign.

	(UUCP)  {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!rhea!kryptn!ts1!burrows

	(ARPA)  decwrl!rhea!kryptn!ts1!burrows@Berkeley
	        decwrl!rhea!kryptn!ts1!burrows@SU-Shasta

 End Forwarded Message

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/20/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.games.frp
>From : KRYPTN::TS1::BURROWS

     A few ideas on running SHRPGs (a friend insists on pronouncing FRPG as
fur-pig, I suppose that makes these Shear-pigs in contrast?) based on our
SuperWorld campaigns, reported in an earlier message.

1) Beware of superpower escalation. You need to keep a balance between
having characters too deadly or invulnerable by being unnbalanced and
to well rounded in terms of their powers. Our second campaign was more
successful in in this regard. The characters were based on DC's All-Star
Squadron, and not nearly as powerful as the first campaign. Over-all they
were more well rounded. When unable to use their main power, any of them
could resort to throwing punches. None of them could ignore damage long
enough to pulverize the oposition, although Steel and Robotman could
take quite a lot.

2) Watch out for creating powerful Non-Player organizations that the
players can rely on for equipment/inteligence etc. A conection with gov't
can be quite useful as a source of information and missions, but you
don't really want a THUNDER-like group they can go to to re-equip all
the time, and explaning why they can't gets kind of tough. After all if
the mad Dr Dispicable is really a menace to the whole world, why are our
heroes taking him on all alone. And if their are others out to get him,
where are they, and why don't we team up. All in all I'd recommend creating
a world in which the players are some of the first superheroes, ala
Marvel in the early 60's or DC in the late 50's. you can always grow the
strong NPC groups and the player group's connections. After all, the
Avengers didn't start with gov't IDs and security clearences and everything.
Make 'em earn it. Some gov't connections can be useful to remove unwanted loot
in the form of enemy weapons out of the player's hands. I had a hard time
explaning why my character wouldn't keep the nifty blaster he took of a
fallen foe as a backup weapon. After all I knew he didn't have the hero
points to buy the gun (It was a dilly) but HE didn't.

3) Concentrate a LOT on world building. It gets tempting to turn a SHRPG
into smash and grab, or at least smash. The grabbing is best left to the
baddies. The best cure for this is a huge amount of world building. Give
'em lots of plot lines. Explore the player characters' backgrounds. If
one of them wants to be Fu Manchu's son, let him. THen embroil them in
all the Eastern intrigue they can take. if someone wants to take the
disability of being a psyhopath ala Wolverine, give him bad press, make
people mistrust him.

4) Look for players who either have a comix background or are good enough
role-players to really get into the spirit of things. They need to play
by the comics code or at least some form of Heroic Code.

Well, enough for now.