[net.games.frp] using wishes to permanent spells

mr-frog@sdcsvax.UUCP (Dave Pare) (06/21/84)

<>
I'm really interested in that parenthetical remark in a recent
article by Ken Dalka.  He was talking about the wish "I wish that
the next spell I throw on myself would be permanent."  Then
he followed with " Yes, I'm aware that any DM worth his salt could
distort what I just said; you don't have to point that out too."
What I want to know is -- did Ken mean that a good DM SHOULD distort
such an attempt by a player to use a wish as if it were a permanent, or
that a DM could find some way to twist the wording around.  Ken,
what would you do if you were the DM?

Personally, I think that's a perfectly reasonable wish -- after all, folks,
wish IS a higher level spell than permanent.  I don't see any problem
with having a wish at MINIMUM be able to duplicate any other 1-9th level spell.
Unless the wording was really flaky, I can't see an reason to shaft a player
on a wish that asks for something so reasonable.

Dave Pare

[ucbvax | dcdwest]!sdcsvax!mr-frog

jab@uokvax.UUCP (06/25/84)

#R:sdcsvax:-91500:uokvax:2400049:000:798
uokvax!jab    Jun 25 11:45:00 1984

/***** uokvax:net.games.frp / sdcsvax!mr-frog /  7:38 pm  Jun 22, 1984 */
<>
I'm really interested in that parenthetical remark in a recent
article by Ken Dalka.  He was talking about the wish "I wish that
the next spell I throw on myself would be permanent."  Then
he followed with " Yes, I'm aware that any DM worth his salt could
distort what I just said; you don't have to point that out too."
/* ---------- */

Yeah, contrary to popular beliefs, a wish is NOT a license to screw a
player-character. Particularly greedy players should get what they ask
for, letter-by-letter, but that's about it. I've even seen a god (the
one granting the wish) appear once, pissed at a player's greed, and ask
"Are you trying to break me?"

The character promptly withdrew the wish.

	Jeff Bowles
	Lisle, IL

hutch@shark.UUCP (06/25/84)

<When you wish upon a star. . .>

Actually, any DM worth her salt WILL distort a wish phrased

	"I wish the very next spell I cast upon myself will
	 be permanent"

since the attempt to invoke the wish is an attempt to cast a
spell upon oneself.  It would probably only mean that the
player permanently detects of high-level magic.  It might be
the case that any spells the player casts upon itself become
permanent, but invoke the 10 years lifespan reduction clause
as a side-effect.

The careful player WOULD phrase it differently, maybe even
paying to have an Augury or similar predictive spell performed
in order to prevent such disaster.

Hutch

steven@qubix.UUCP (Steven Maurer) (06/25/84)

> Personally, I think that's a perfectly reasonable wish -- after all, folks,
> wish IS a higher level spell than permanent.  I don't see any problem
> with having a wish at MINIMUM be able to duplicate any other 1-9th level spell
> Unless the wording was really flaky, I can't see an reason to shaft a player
> on a wish that asks for something so reasonable.

>  Dave Pare

Its the standard (A)D&D bullsh*t again, dave.   In the system
wishes are the ultimate spells, able to accomplish anything.
Because this is the case, a Wish can be terribly misused.

How did good old Gary (ripoff) Gygax decide to "play balance"
this spell?   Instead of something reasonable, like aging, or
a power limit, he demands people play word games.  What cr*p!
If I wanted to be a lawyer, I'd go to court.   There is no reason
in the world, that once a 18th level Wizard has invested all
his power and technique into casting such a spell, that something
like a players "bad wording" could screw up a spells effects.

"I wish that joe dies" is NOT "Please put me in suspended animation
until a time when joe is dead", no matter how much that BS artist
says it is.

Try RQ's or EPT's "Divine Intervention" for a more reasonable
discription of a "wish spell".

Steven Maurer

mr-frog@sdcsvax.UUCP (Dave Pare) (06/29/84)

:
>Its the standard (A)D&D bullsh*t again, dave.   In the system
>wishes are the ultimate spells, able to accomplish anything.

Come come, Mr. Maurer.  Where did I say that?  How did you get
that from anything I've ever said?  Of course wishes have
limits -- it's just that they are certainly able to duplicate any
spell of 9th or less quite easily since the mage is taken out for 1d8 days
after casting it (or putting it in a ring as part of an enchantment).

How come you just don't come out and cuss?  I mean, "bullshit" is
so much more refreshing than your tame "bullsh*t".  It's a bit less
hypocritical too.

Anyhow, I wander off the subject.  Do you really think that a
Full Wish (in AD&D, or D&D) shouldn't be able to duplicate the
effects of other spells if the wording is right?

>"I wish that joe dies" is NOT "Please put me in suspended animation
>until a time when joe is dead", no matter how much that BS artist
>says it is.

I'll certainly agree with you there.  As a DM, I handle wishes by
using a "path of least resistance" method.  That is, if the
interpretation of the wish can be done by a lesser powered magic,
then that is the way it happens.  For instance, "I wish joe dies"
would probably kill joe, unless placing the mage into suspended
animation proves easier (such a chance usually approaches nil).
After all, "kill-w-no-save" uses (in the general case) less power
than a "conditional-suspended-animation-for-many-years".

Unfortunately, Mr. Gygax (who has made some pretty bad rulings)
is essentially saying "I'll crock the wish if I don't like
it's effects".  Something silly, or something that had screwy
effects can have almost an unlimited source of "power" in his
world.  Of course, any attempt to research a spell to duplicate
this effect would be laughed out of any reasonable game.  That
kind of stuff gives D&D a real bad name.

This doesn't mean everybody who plays D&D has to dogmatically
follow Mr. Gygax.  I don't appreciate that implication, Mr. Maurer!

Dave Pare

[ucbvax | dcdwest]!sdcsvax!mr-frog

steven@qubix.UUCP (Steven Maurer) (07/03/84)

[This Message Rated PG13]

>>  How come you just don't come out and cuss?  I mean, "bullshit" is
>>  so much more refreshing than your tame "bullsh*t".  It's a bit less
>>  hypocritical too.

	Once upon a time in netland, there was a wise, but foolish young
    prince, who accidently wrote down the F-word, and sent it to
    net.general.   He had actually meant to write the F*-word, but somehow
    the keyboard slipped, and that is not what was sent.  Because of this,
    many dragons visited the poor unfortunate prince, and flamed him
    royally, again and again.   So now he makes sure not to offend anybody
    anywhere, since no one likes to get 20 flame-mails a day.

>>  Unfortunately, Mr. Gygax (who has made some pretty bad rulings)
>>  is essentially saying "I'll crock the wish if I don't like
>>  it's effects".  Something silly, or something that had screwy
>>  effects can have almost an unlimited source of "power" in his
>>  world.  Of course, any attempt to research a spell to duplicate
>>  this effect would be laughed out of any reasonable game.  That
>>  kind of stuff gives D&D a real bad name.
>>
>>  This doesn't mean everybody who plays D&D has to dogmatically
>>  follow Mr. Gygax.  I don't appreciate that implication, Mr. Maurer!

	True, but then again, if you don't, you are not playing AD&D.
    This is not according to me, this is according to Gary ("the
    plagerist") Gygax himself.    While I appreciate the fact that you
    (a presumably good referee) can make AD&D a good game with heavy
    modifications, I don't appreciate the fact that it is not a good
    game to begin with.    When D&D first came out this was all right,
    since there was no other system around.  Now, however, you have a
    large number of options, of which almost all (excluding T&T) are
    better in the basic system.

	So why is it better to have a good basic system?   For the same
    reason that an OS should work well when you first buy it: First,
    I don't like having to make extensive modifications to the rules,
    and Second, as a player, I enjoy having my characters be portable
    between different referees (DMs).   If one referee plays a rule,
    or spell, completely differently than the way I am used to playing
    it, it totally ruins my sense of disbelief and can proove fatal to
    my character.   This is why I dislike AD&D, as a system.

Steven Maurer                   sun!qubix!steven

yba@mit-athena.ARPA (Mark H Levine) (07/03/84)

<Absolute money corrupts absolutely>

Remember the old days of soft-cover $5 rule books.  How about Blackmoor,
in which E. Gary Gygax wrote:

"... All of it is, of course, optional, for the premise of the whole
game system is flexibility and personalization within the broad framework
of the rules."

Fie on those who read rules and feel bound by them in a fantasy wargame!
You lawful goody-goodies!  If everyone had to follow the written dictum
never to vary the rules, we could use computers instead of people for
dungeon masters!  In my dungeon worshippers of the shoe salesman cult
are sacrificed on the altar of mediocrity; my gods are whimsical.

And yet this man and his C & C society have provided me with a much
loved hobby.  If the game system is wrong and the players are right,
then the game system will follow the players and become right; if
the game system is right and the players are boring, then again the
game will follow the players and be blah (with apologies to Zen masters
living and dead).

What a silly reason to like or dislike a game!

--
yba%mit-heracles@mit-mc.ARPA		UUCP:	decvax!mit-athena!yba

gordon@uw-june (Gordon Davisson) (07/06/84)

<ablation shield>

   I don't consider poorly-written and overcomplex rules a
silly reason not to like a game.  Sure, I know that they are
designed to be a guideline only, and flexible, but as a guide-
line, they should make enough internal sense to make the game
playable.  I finally stopped playing AD&D when I started faking
combat, as the rules were too unwieldy to use.  If I were to
alter the rules as I thought were necessary, I would have had
to write a whole new system.  I play Traveller now, which is
far simpler to use, and yet in many ways is more realistic
than D&D.  (An aside: it also requires more thought and imag-
ination to come up with a Traveller adventure, as opposed to
just "whipping up a dungeon", which happens all to often.  One
of Traveller's greatest attractions to me is the interaction
with other people, and not just for hack&slash purposes.)

                Still waiting for my own account,

Human:  Jamie Green @ Gordon's Account
UUCP:   {ihnp4,decvax,tektronix}!uw-beaver!uw-june!gordon
ARPA:   gordon@uw-june

            Gordon hates flames, so send 'em in!