[net.music] Chick Corea

mm@vaxine.UUCP (Mark Mudgett) (07/01/85)

 >From: rsk@pucc-k (Wombat)
 >        ...rumor has it that Chick Corea is starting a new band; anyone
 >know details on this?

I attended an excellent concert yesterday by Chick's latest  trio
at  Jacob's  Pillow  in  Becket,  Mass.  The players were:  Chick
Corea, piano; Miroslav Vitous, bass; and Roy Haynes, drums.

The trio had just played the day before at  the  Kool  Jazz  Fes-
tival, New York.  (Incidently, Brown & Williamson Tobacco has de-
cided to get out of the jazz business; this is the last  year  of
the  Kool  Jazz  Festival.   No  doubt George Wein can find a new
sponsor.  Maybe JVC ... )  Recently, they toured Europe and  made
some  live concert recordings, which are scheduled to be released
as Chick's next album.  This is not really a  "new"  band.   They
have recorded together before (as long ago as '68).

The concert was one ninety minute set.  Each player did one solo piece
(to give the other players a rest, and to make for a more interesting
show).  The repertoire included _Mirror Vision_ by Miroslav; _Hackensack_
by Monk; and a very clever arrangement of _Night and Day_ (which Chick
said was by Frank Sinatra) :-)

The group worked very well as an ensemble, and the solo playing was
superb.  Roy's dynamic range was wild.  From a drumroll with mallets
that must have been inaudible in the back row to kicks as loud as Alex
Van Halen.  Good pedal technique on the kettledrum, too.
As usual, Chick was magnificent on the piano (a 97-key Boesendorfer),
and likewise Miroslav on upright bass.

         _TT    /|    |~           Mark C. Mudgett
    >====+++===< |   O|   |~       uucp:  ...!decvax!encore!vaxine!mm
       {_|||_}  \|       O|        617-667-7900x2394
    All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental;
    and should not be construed.

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (07/05/85)

> I attended an excellent concert yesterday by Chick's latest  trio
> at  Jacob's  Pillow  in  Becket,  Mass.  The players were:  Chick
> Corea, piano; Miroslav Vitous, bass; and Roy Haynes, drums.

This is not a new band, even in its latest incarnation: they recorded
an album called TRIO MUSIC, on ECM, that was released in 1982. In fact,
I am surprised it took them so long to tour.

>                            Recently, they toured Europe and  made
> some  live concert recordings, which are scheduled to be released
> as Chick's next album.  This is not really a  "new"  band.   They
> have recorded together before (as long ago as '68).

The album was called NOW HE SINGS, NOW HE SOBS, on the Solid State
label. In my humble opinion, it is far better than the latest effort,
which I find self-conscious and overblown, especially on the Monk
pieces. Corea is a fine musician, but his understanding of Monk
is lacking. Where is the humor? Where are those sly musical jokes?
Where are those weirdly placed intervals and abrupt whole note runs?

Marcel Simon

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (07/05/85)

>                   (Incidently, Brown & Williamson Tobacco has de-
> cided to get out of the jazz business; this is the last  year  of
> the  Kool  Jazz  Festival.   No  doubt George Wein can find a new
> sponsor.  Maybe JVC ... )

Too bad, Kool is/was the only major forum for jazz music to receive even
a small piece of mass attention.

FLAME BEGINS:
As for George Wein, he probably means well,
but I feel he is slowly strangling the festival by serving us a rehash
of the Jazz at the Philharmonic every year. Oh, some of the concerts
are quite good (I remember a Freddie Hubbard-McCoy Tyner-Ron Carter-
Elvin Jones that blew the roof off Avery Fisher Hall....) but
why does Kool consistently ignore the new traditionalists. Putting the
David Murray Octet in Saratoga is tokenism. Where were Henry Threadgill's
Sextet, Olu Dara's Okra Orchestra, Jemeel Moondoc, Craig Harris,
Amina Claudine Myers, and so many others, any one of which would have been a
far better show, providing more challenging AND more entertaining music
than Dave Brubeck playing "Take Five" for the 10 zillionth time?
FLAME ENDS

Did anybody attend any of the Kool events this year? I was on the
road during the week (work does get in the way sometimes doesn't it?)
and had to miss it all? Particularly, did anybody catch Liberation Music
Orchestra at Sweet Basil's?

Marcel Simon

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (07/08/85)

> > I attended an excellent concert yesterday by Chick's latest  trio
> > at  Jacob's  Pillow  in  Becket,  Mass.  The players were:  Chick
> > Corea, piano; Miroslav Vitous, bass; and Roy Haynes, drums.
>
> This is not a new band, even in its latest incarnation: they recorded
> an album called TRIO MUSIC, on ECM, that was released in 1982. In fact,
> I am surprised it took them so long to tour.

I don't know about any long tours, but they have performed live
in NYC at the Village Vanguard over the last few years, including
one Saturday night which was broadcast live by WBGO (and fed to NPR
for national broadcasting).

Bill Hery

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (07/08/85)

> FLAME BEGINS:
> As for George Wein, he probably means well,
> but I feel he is slowly strangling the festival by serving us a rehash
> of the Jazz at the Philharmonic every year. Oh, some of the concerts
> are quite good (I remember a Freddie Hubbard-McCoy Tyner-Ron Carter-
> Elvin Jones that blew the roof off Avery Fisher Hall....) but
> why does Kool consistently ignore the new traditionalists. Putting the
> David Murray Octet in Saratoga is tokenism. Where were Henry Threadgill's
> Sextet, Olu Dara's Okra Orchestra, .....

I wholeheartedly agree--I didn't even bother going to any of the Kool
festival events this year, the music in the NY clubs all year long
being far superior.  Even when he does bring in some of the less
commercial musicians, he puts them in some rather strange combinations
with other musicains--last year's Cecil Taylor/Oscar Peterson concert
comes to mind (I wasn't there, but I heard that most of the audience left
when Cecil started playing, and thos who didn't hadn't been there for
Oscar's set...)

I don't know how much of the problem is Wein and how much is (was) Kool.
When he was at Newport and in the early years in NY (when it was the Big
Apple Jazz Festival), Wein SOMETIMES put on more interesting shows.  I
remember going to Newprot once (about '67), and the concert included
Miles (with Hancock, Shorter, Carter, Williams), Bill Evans trio, Max
Roach quartet and Dave Brubeck (well, Take Five was only 8 years old then...).
He also had another concert featuring 'Trane and Archie Shepp (recorded by
Impulse as New Thing at Newport).  Maybe a new sponsor will help

> Did anybody attend any of the Kool events this year? I was on the
> road during the week (work does get in the way sometimes doesn't it?)
> and had to miss it all? Particularly, did anybody catch Liberation Music
> Orchestra at Sweet Basil's?

I did catch LMO at Sweet Basil's and it was great.  About half of the
musicians were from the group that recorded Ballad of the Fallen
(Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, Mick Goodrick, Jim Pepper, Dewey Redman,
and the French Horn player whose name I can't recall), and several were
New York musicains who show up in a lot of local groups, like David
Murray's Octet/Big Band (Craig Harris, Bekida Caroll, Bob Stewart).
Also in the group were Amina Claudia Myers (who didn't get to solo much),
and Cecil Bridgewater (often heard with Max Roach).  Interestingly, Carla
Bley (who wrote much of the music and was part on both recordings of LMO
was in the audience, as was Steve Swallow.

The music they played was mostly from the Ballad of the Fallen lp, using
basically the same arrangements.  A major difference was that there was a
lot more solo space--Craig Harris, Dewey Redman, and Bekida Carol were
particularly good.  My one reservation about the performance was that
most of the longer solos got too far away from the lilting, Spanish
feel in the arrangements (and maintained in most solos on the lp).
LMO is definitely worth going to see.

Bill Hery