[net.games.frp] the "AD&D Module Competition"

lasko@regina.DEC (09/19/84)

[warning: flame on]

Re: module contest posted by ...ihnp4!houxm!hou2e!ksl

I frankly think this contest is a bit of a crock, and I don't play contests
where I can't understand the rules:

>>Subject: AD&D Module Competition
>>		ATTENTION ALL D&D PLAYERS/DMs!!
>>Here is the challenge of your life!  Here is the
>>chance to get yourself fame and fortune!  If you
>>can submit a semi-module, you could get both fame
>>and fortune!  What could go wrong, expert D&Ders?
>>If you can submit a module using the rules, your
>>expert module could be posted on this net, used
>>as a play be mail, or even turned into a computer
>>game!  Everyone is a winner, but 3 expert D&Ders
>>will judge your module accordingly.
  Okay, I see AD&D(tm) and D&D(tm) listed within the first twelve lines.
Which game is it?  For that matter, if it is D&D(tm), do you mean the
Original Edition, or the Basic, Expert, and Companion Sets?  All three
of these are different games!
  For that matter, who are these three "expert D&Ders", and what qualifies
them as such.  I don't see any names in here.  For that matter, what rules
will they judge the modules by?

>>The best module for every 2 months will be posted
>>to a few nets.
  Thereby losing any copyright the author may have had on his work.

>>Below are a few guidelines/rules/suggestions:
>>3.	You do not need the following, although
>>	your module would be better with them:
>>		-DM Notes
>>		-Appendices about new items/monsters
>>		-NPC
  I would say they would be necessary for any good module.  And, if we
are writing modules "by the rules":  most modules written by other
module design contests do not allow many new items or monsters.

>>4.	You may write your module IN ANY FASHION.  For better ratings,
>> use either mm macros or regular concatenation.
  Huh?  Write your module any way you want, but use X to win.

>>5.	Your module WILL NOT be rated ON A CURVE.
>>	Each module will be rated on it's own.
  Again, according to what scheme?  Someone has to win.

>>6.	There will be a contest every 2 and 1 half months...
  I could have sworn I read "2 months" a few lines ago.

>>7.	Modules MUST be based on D&D.
  "Based on", or be "by the rules" of "D&D", and again, why is AD&D(tm)
 mentioned up there.

>>8.	The description number should match the maps numbers.
  I won't even comment on how this statement insults the intelligence of
 the people reading this newsgroup.

>>9.	For Contest #1, level limits will be level 5-15, but does not, by
>>   any means, has to cover all 10 levels.
  I don't think you could in a "short" or "semi-" module.  Again, if D&D(tm)
is being used, this would preclude using rules from the Companion Set, and
should therefore be stated.

>>10.	The average module should be between 300 to 700 lines long, with
>> 72 characters per line.  Modules may be as long or as short as you want.
   Huh?  Modules can only be X lines long, but as long as you want?

>>Good luck, fellow players.
>>This has been a DM, and Gandalf as player character
   Are we to be judged by players, in which case I would assume that ease of
  reaching the treasure is most important, or by our fellow DMs

Far from putting down this kind of attempt (after all inmet!jmd and the 3mil
experience point evil characters was a great way to stretch the mind).  But
if someone is setting up a triumvirate to judge us (and I only count two
people (?) in the closing statement), I think they should be a little clearer
about what they are looking for, not to mention have a clearer idea on the
rules of the game, and how to design a dungeon module.

[flame off]

tim lasko   {decvax, ihnp4, other biggies}decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-regina!lasko
            Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (K.LIU) (09/22/84)

Thank you, Mr. Democrat.

AD&D and D&D, in this case ar the same, if Mr. Democrat
can read because levels 5-15 ARE NOT COVERED BY BASIC D&D!!!!!

Because of the level differences, I have used BOTH D&D and AD&D
to cover the competition.

Franly, level 5-15 may ONLY be covered by Expert & Advanced rules,
Mr. Democrat.

Note I said "as a player character" in the ending.

I am actually usually a DM.

I will post further rules to satisfy the Democrat, and will
tell you about the SUPER GRAND PRIZE!!!

___
Republican

"Vote Rebubcrat!"

	RRR
	RDR	R-Rebulican, D-Democrat
	RRR
WHICH ONE DOESN'T BELONG???????

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (K.LIU) (09/26/84)

I would also like to point out, from my article:

 "... the average module is from 300* to 700 lines ..."

* I'm not to sure of the numbers....

I NEVER said that you would get better ratings by doing this,
BUT the AVERAGE, so you would know about how long any new
designers should work their module to.

Please note that if ANY of my player characters are posting
stuff about MY competition, please ignore it.

ekblaw@uiucdcs.UUCP (09/26/84)

I applaude Mr.Lasko at his attempt to clarify the obviously amateuristic (and
bigoted, based on the political overtones) viewpoints of our rather confused
and not-so-bright contest creator/judge/exploiter.  If I, a D&D and AD&D (do
please note the difference) player/statistician for ten years, may add (and
hopefully clarify) notes that may satisfy both:

1.  D&D and AD&D are not the same items.  I began playing D&D when the original
module first hit the east coast (within a year after it was began).  Though I
was young at the time, I was partially familar with technical/strategical
role games (being an Avalon Hill buff prior to D&D) and found the game more
than a little trite, boring, and inaccurate.  As early as then my friends and
I began updating the rules to our satisfatication.  Then, AD&D came out.  Thoughit was not perfect, it was lightyears ahead of the previous version.  This is
to say, then, that the 5-15 levels covered in AD&D are NOT an extension of
D&D, but rather an improvement on a first (and quite rough) draft.  If one is
intelligent enough, AD&D can be used for all levels, from first up to 200th, if
a character lives that long, is able to make such a level, and does not
achieve godhood.  So, my little-brained contest fool, Mr. Lasko was indeed
correct, and you were incorrect (come on, admit it, you egotistical maniac).
I repeat, D&D and AD&D are NOT the same.

2.  (First, let me apologize for the above.  I let my emotions get away from
me).  Your contest rules and information seem quite vague.  There is no
guarantee of fairness in judging (which, from what I infere, is done totally
by you), in return of the module, or even in the possibility of others
enjoying their efforts.  It seems to me to be a contest you devised in order
to grab as many modules as possible to use in your enjoyment and then skip
out, not giving recognition nor awards where the merit is due.  Your lack
of posting name or other way to identify or contact you seems adequate
proof to this point.  I, therefore, denounce this 'contest' as fraud and
never want to see you post anything else again in this notesfile!  I HAVE
SPOKEN!!!

                                         All-Father Odin
                                        (a.k.a. Robert A. Ekblaw,
                                         uiucdcs!ekblaw)

tom@uwai.UUCP (10/01/84)

> 1. D&D and AD&D are not the same items. I began playing D&D when the original
> module first hit the east coast (within a year after it was began).  Though I
> was young at the time, I was partially familar with technical/strategical

While I agree with what was said, I must denounce the manner by which it was
said.  Let us not stoop so slow as those whom we are chiding.

Furthermore, "it was began" is an extremely grating form of sub-standard
English, so much so that it affects from the rest of the message.  If only
we could stamp out this sort of usage where it was begun.

Tom

--

Tom Christiansen
University of Wisconsin