[net.games.frp] "Electrify Druid"

lasko@regina.DEC (01/04/85)

RE: "Electrify druid"  (by Jeff Sontag)

I like it! I like it!  It has almost the same power, and exactly the same
level as one spell I came up with a long time ago called "Immolation".

"Immolation" did a bit more damage (d4/level), and I think you got screwed
by your DM.  You aren't getting anything better than a MU "Shocking Grasp"
with that tickler.  Effects are neat, but get your money's worth from your
DM.

Since multi-effect spells (Pyrotechnics, Fire Shield, et. al.) are common in
AD&D(tm) it wouldn't be too unusual to stick "Electrify Druid", and
"Immolation" together.  My material component (apart from mistletoe, of
course), was brimstone (sulfur), what do you use for "Electrify Druid"?

I don't know whether I, in my GameMaster hat, would approve of your
"electrifying" example.  Specifically, the "Electrify Druid" stacked on
"Invisiblity".  I specifically didn't allow it with "Immolation" to avoid
the question.  What does anyone else think?

[Coming soon: because no one asked for it. The second list of corrections to
the "Long List of FRPs"]

tim lasko
DEC, Maynard, Massachusetts
{ihnp4, decwrl, seismo, allegra, et. al}!decvax!dec-rhea!dec-regina!lasko

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (01/08/85)

Lasko writes:
> "Immolation" did a bit more damage (d4/level), and I think you got screwed
> by your DM.  You aren't getting anything better than a MU "Shocking Grasp"
> with that tickler.  Effects are neat, but get your money's worth from your
> DM.

    Well, the DM changed the amount of damage it does after he thought about
it awhile.  Instead of 2 * level, it is only 1 * level, which is 10 points for
me.  I didn't mind, as it's still powerful enough for me.
    I got to use it this weekend to very good effect.  We were set upon by a
group of several ogres, and I cast my spell in the first round.  The fight
lasted about 4 more rounds, and during that time, the Electrification was
responsible for about 20 hp. of damage per round.  Usually the ogre which
attacked me took 10hp as it attacked and 10hp as I attacked.
    Lasko also mentioned that he wouldn't let a Ring of Invisibility work
at the same time as this spell.  I'm not sure why not.  Mine did, and I
was invisible, and the aura of blue-white crackling sparks around me was
not.  The bad thing about this effect is that I tend to look like some kind
of weird electrical elemental, and intelligent foes will probably tend to
concentrate their attack on me.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

lasko@regina.DEC (01/11/85)

<In the category of protecting my good name...>

Oh, a *RING* of Invisiblity.  That I wouldn't have argued with.  I was
referring to the spell.

(Tim) Lasko
DEC, Maynard, sttesuhcassaM
{lots of stuff, esp. ihnp4, decvax, allegra}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-regina!lasko