[net.games.frp] RuneQuestions

upen@watarts.UUCP (Ue-Li Pen) (12/22/84)

I have just purchased RUNEQUEST (Runequest 2, not from avalon hill)
and I am trying to get a campaign off the ground. I have played
AD&D for six years with my own full campaign (not greyhawk). I wish
to do the same type of thing with RUNEQUEST, though keep the campaign
based and located on Glorantha. I am having a few problems though and I hope
that someone on the net could help me out:

a) How advanced should the characters be when you enter them into the
   game - should they have skill, be initates in cults etc. already??
b) Can you be a member of two or more cults? An initiate?
c) I hope to start the campaign by giving the players (which are new also)
   background sheets which contain their background, where they live, cult
   relationsships etc.. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Should the
   characters all be a part of the same cult?

Any advice on running a RUNEQUEST campaign would be appreciated. I would
like to avoid buying PAVIS if possible as I find "pre-set scenarios" far
too restrictive.

okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) (12/29/84)

> a) How advanced should the characters be when you enter them into the
>    game - should they have skill, be initates in cults etc. already??
> b) Can you be a member of two or more cults? An initiate?
> c) I hope to start the campaign by giving the players (which are new also)
>    background sheets which contain their background, where they live, cult
>    relationsships etc.. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Should the
>    characters all be a part of the same cult?

To answer your second question first: If the two cults at least tolerate each
other, it should be possible to become an initiate of the second by asking
your priest.  The more closely related the cults, the easier it will be to get
this permission (for example, Orlanth and Lhankor Mhy).  Being a priest of two
cults is slightly more difficult.  The procedures in RQ2 should be sufficiently
explanatory.

To answer your first question:  as long as the campaign is geared towards the
level of the entering characters, it doesn't matter one bit.  Ie, if your
campaign involves Apple Lane, they would most likely be beginning characters
with little or no previous experience.  If, on the other hand, you are going
to be taking characters into Dorastor (eek!), they should have many years
of previous experience and I sure wouldn't want to take anybody in there who
wasn't at least a Rune Priest or Rune Lord!

To answer your third question: The biggest complaint I have with Glorantha is
that anything I give my characters will necessarily be limited to my VERY
incomplete knowledge of Glorantha.  Thus most of the background information will
be scanty at best.  I've tried to convince Greg (Stafford) to keep working on
Glorantha, and it looks like he will get off his duff and try to make sense
out of his old notes.  But to get on with your question:  They shouldn't
necessarily have to be of the same cult.  It can be interesting to have a
Humakti warrior interacting with a Yelmalio mercenary, etc.  However, just
make sure you don't put a Seven Mothers worshiper next to an Orlanthi because
they'll probably kill each other!

Hope this helped,

Jeff Okamoto
ucbvax!okamoto
okamoto%ucbvax@Berkeley.ARPA

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (01/02/85)

It is possible for RuneThings to be Associate Priests of other cults just by
getting permission from all cults involved.  I think you're only allowed to
be a Rune Lord of one cult, however.

Of course, no rule is beyond question, so do whatever you want as long as it
doesn't upset game balance.

							-D
--
UUCP: ...seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/15/85)

In article <779@ttds.UUCP> olin@ttds.UUCP (Peter Olin) writes:
>[...]
>* example: Billy the Broog finds a Darktounge scroll, but his
>           read/write/speak Darktounge ability is 0%.
>  Does he know that it is a Darktounge scroll?

Disclaimer:  I know nothing of Runequest beyond what an alert person who
used to play D&D might know.

It seems to me to be reasonable to be able to RECOGNIZE, say, written
Darktounge [sic], even if you cannot read it.  I can recognize Hebrew,
and Sanskrit, though my abilities in those languages are "0%".
(Well, 0.1% speak Hebrew.  Shalom)

--
"The universe is not user-friendly." -- Kelvin Throop

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

olin@ttds.UUCP (Peter Olin) (01/15/85)

I have owned a copy  of RQ2 for a couple of years now, but i still
have a lot of questions, here are some of them:

* If a PC finds a spell matrix, say Bladesharp 2, does he automatically
  know that it is a matrix and does he in that case know that it is a
  Bladesharp 2 matrix? If not, how the h_ll does he find out? Fooling
  around using Detect magic on everything he finds seems tiresome.

* Are there any distinct differences between jewels and crystals?
  I.e. can you SEE that it's a crystal you have found, and not a
  diamond?

* Does anyone know how to use the Map Making skill ?

* example: Billy the Broog finds a Darktounge scroll, but his
           read/write/speak Darktounge ability is 0%.
  Does he know that it is a Darktounge scroll?
---
These were only some of my questions, and perhaps they aren't the
most important either, I'll come back later with some more.