[net.games.frp] Chron. of Thomas Covenant

mdb@aicchi.UUCP (Blackwell) (01/14/85)

[ Lets see how the line eater like White Gold! ]

Has anyone out there in netland read "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the
Unbeliever" ?  I'm going through all six books for the *third* time!!!
This has got to be some of the best liturature since,... who knows when!
Not only is the writing style great (sends me to the dictionary for a new
word every few chapters :-), but it would make terrific frp gaming material.
What I wouldn't give to be able to create a 'forbidding' in a n AD&D game!
	If anyone would like to persue the idea of gaming in Stephen
Donaldson's "world", send me mail.
	If you *have not* read these books and like Tolkien ("The Hobbit", etc)
you will very likely enjoy them.
--
Mike Blackwell			ihnp4!aicchi!mdb
"At this time of night (morning?) who has ideas to claim???"

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (01/14/85)

I read the first of the Covenant chronicles and thought it was well
written (although sort of a downer -- I know too many people in real
life who look for every possible way to avoid good feelings to be real
comfortable with it in literature).  The second beek ended up against my
Wall Spot (where all books that exceed a certain frustration level end
up).

The reason may seem silly -- certainly my wife thinks so.  But the
demonic things that Donaldson introduces in the second book are all
named with Sanskrit words that represent very good things in Buddhism
or Hinduism (moksha, for example).  The ``cognative dissonance'' was
simply too much for my little mind, and knocked me out of the book every
time.

After all: would devout Catholics be happy with a book in which the main
villains were named Jesus, Mary, and Joseph?

--
		Opinions stated here are my own and are unrelated.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (jagardner) (01/14/85)

In article <366@aicchi.UUCP> mdb@aicchi.UUCP (Blackwell) writes:

>Not only is the writing style great (sends me to the dictionary for a new
>word every few chapters :-), but it would make terrific frp gaming material.

Pardon me, but I have to object.  Sending you to the dictionary every few
chapters is not a mark of good style, it is a mark of intrusive style.
This can be forgiven when a novel has a good excuse (e.g. The Book of the
New Sun tetralogy by Gene Wolfe, four books that are written in the first
person by someone in the far future), but in the Covenant books, it always
sounds like Donaldson is just trying to sound erudite beyond his true grasp
of the English language.  Half the time when he drops one of his ten-dollar
words, he gets the meaning somewhat wrong, as if he has found the word in a
dictionary and used it without really understanding what it means.

Donaldson's great accomplishment is that the Thomas Covenant novels are
still readable despite the too too self-conscious style.  I can't put my
finger on why this is--I suppose the secret is that he is so totally at
home with the vileness of his leading characters.  I can't think of a
single fantasy book with a VILLAIN who matches the sheer despicable
natures of Donaldson's protagonists.  Their occasional good points
(only displayed at the end of the third book of each trilogy) are there
only as grudging concessions to the good that hides in even the most
self-pitying screw-ups.  So many other writers have to INVENT loathesomeness
in their novels.  Donaldson seems to be able to find it effortlessly with
no measure of falseness detectable.

It may sounds like I am damning the books, but I'm not.  I awaited each
one eagerly, and read them in as few sittings as possible.  His writing
is forced, obnoxious, and pretentious, but his unflinching pursuit of
the worst that blind insensitive people do to themselves is unrivalled
in fantasy.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

jvz@loral.UUCP (John Van Zandt) (01/15/85)

I also highly recommend the series of books by Stephen Donaldson.  He manages
to create a very real world, quite different from our own.  The character
development is thorough and the story line draws the reader into the book
in an all-consuming way.

The story revolves around Thomas Covenant, a leper who finds himself in
a world where magic exists.  What is unique about this book is that the
main character finds it as difficult to believe that it is happening
to him as I would myself.  The book has much to say about belief systems
and the human emotional situation.

John Van Zandt
Loral Instrumentation
uucp: ...ucbvax!sdcsvax!jvz

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/16/85)

For those who haven't heard of these books from any source but the last posting,
I should mention that there are definitely two schools of thought on this
series of books.  The previous posting summarized one.  The other, in brief,
regards them as overlong, repetitive, and derivative, and considers their
protagonist to be a major pain in the ass.  I belong to this school.  With
no intention to start yet another debate on the merits of these books, I
would like to make it clear that they are not universally admired.  If in
doubt, of course, read them yourself.  The first two should make it clear
whether you wish to continue.
--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) (01/16/85)

> >Not only is the writing style great (sends me to the dictionary for a new
> >word every few chapters :-), but it would make terrific frp gaming material.

  I think Donaldson's use of English is not overly erudite as some would
suggest.  I didn't have to run to the dictionary every few pages (maybe
once per novel).  I admit he used a very large thesaurus (sp?) but this
is usually considered good writing.  If it came to the point where I
couldn't figure out what was going on then I would be a bit upset.

> I can't think of a
> single fantasy book with a VILLAIN who matches the sheer despicable
> natures of Donaldson's protagonists.  Their occasional good points
> (only displayed at the end of the third book of each trilogy) are there
> only as grudging concessions to the good that hides in even the most
> self-pitying screw-ups.

I think this idea of having someone a trifle on the despicable side for
a protagonist (don't look it up, it means hereo :-) ) is what made the
series transcend mere adventurism.  Besides, Lancelot wasn't so noble
but we all consider him a hero.

   Darin Johnson

berosetti@watrose.UUCP (Barry Rosetti) (01/17/85)

> The reason may seem silly -- certainly my wife thinks so.  But the
> demonic things that Donaldson introduces in the second book are all
> named with Sanskrit words that represent very good things in Buddhism
> or Hinduism (moksha, for example).
>
> After all: would devout Catholics be happy with a book in which the main
> villains were named Jesus, Mary, and Joseph?

  The reason iiss silly.  Devout Catholics are usually not interested in
  the 'escapism' of fantasy literature (not to mention AD&D) at all
  (cf. Moral Majority).  Literature of this type is designed for an
  audience that wants the excitment of that 'escape', just as pulp
  romances provide the same type of escape (if not the same form).

  Donaldson provides a wide range of concepts and names that the
  average reader never encountered before (myself included).
  I find the new ideas interesting and they provide many bits and
  pieces to use in my ongoing campaign.  However, to the reader who
  knows the derivation of these words or concepts, you just have to
  take some of it with a grain of salt.  The author can't please
  everyone and even if the books offend some, they entertained many
  many others.

						  Barry Rosetti
                          ( watrose!berosetti )

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (01/17/85)

Barry Rosetti knows some interesting Catholics, or maybe his
definition of ``devout'' is different from mine. In the
private Catholic boarding school I was sent to there was an
awful lot of well-read fantasy and science fiction, and no
less than 3 d&d groups playing after school, so I think his
generalisation isn't universal.

Mauybe saying that the evil forces were named ``Jesus, Mary and Joseph''
wasn't the best analogy. How about ``beauty'' ``integrity'' and
``radiant spirituality''? I forget the other ones -- those I remember..

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura