[net.games.frp] WIZARDRY questions.

gts@dmcnh.UUCP (01/29/85)

***** Slight Spoilers *****

Just bought a game by SIR-TECH called WIZARDRY.  (First Scenario: The Proving
Grounds of the Mad Overlord.)
First, by way of review, I must admit that the first time I plugged in the
disk, I played for 11 hours straight.  It's that good.  My only gripe is
that no matter what message is displayed in the what's-going-on-window
has an exclamation point after it!
As for tips, I can only offer this time-consuming one:  When in desparate
need of cash, go to the training grounds, create some suckers, bring
them back to the Tavern, get them drunk, steal their money, take them
back to the grounds and slaughter them mercilessly.  An infinite amount
of gold is available in this way.
But, I do have some questions for anyone reasonably familiar with the game:

- What level do my characters have to be to bring them into the second
  scenario?
- What good are those silver keys you find near the boar statue in the
  secret 1x1 room on the first level?
- Where does the Private Elevator (Use Button D and go to end of hall)
  take you?  I've never had a gutsy enough party to use it.
- Is there any way to regenerate HPs without using up spells or leaving
  the maze?
- My game generates 80-col mode letters (with spaces between) when I'm
  not in the maze even using ESC CNTL-Q (to disable the 80-column card
  on my //e) under DOS before booting it.  Can I do anything about that,
  short of physically yanking the card?
- I found the Control Center but can't control anything, what do I need
  to do?

Thanks in advance.
+-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+
| USENET: decvax!ittvax!sii!dmcnh!gts | | DISCLAIMER:    The content of this |
| USMail: 14-F Hampshire Drive        | | message is the sole responsibility |
|         Nashua, NH  03063           | | dmcnh!gts and does not necessarily |
| NEBell: (603) 880-2069              | | reflect the policies of Datamedia. |
+-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+

black@unc.UUCP (Samuel Black) (01/31/85)

In article <dmcnh.183>    gts@dmcnh.UUCP writes:
>   ***** Spoilers *****
>
>   Just bought a game by SIR-TECH called WIZARDRY.  (First Scenario: The
>   Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.)
>
>   - What level do my characters have to be to bring them into the second
>     scenario?

 There's no definite answer, but it would be good to have your spell
 casters at at least 13th level so they can cast seventh level spells.

>   - What good are those silver keys you find near the boar statue in the
>     secret 1x1 room on the first level?

 I don't remember; they get you into some place on second level,
 I think.

>   - Where does the Private Elevator (Use Button D and go to end of hall)
>     take you?  I've never had a gutsy enough party to use it.

 That allows you to go to levels 5-9 easily (you can't take an elevator
 to level 10).

>   - Is there any way to regenerate HPs without using up spells or leaving
>     the maze?

 Not until you get some of the "special" magic items.

>   - My game generates 80-col mode letters (with spaces between) when I'm
>     not in the maze even using ESC CNTL-Q (to disable the 80-column card
>     on my //e) under DOS before booting it.  Can I do anything about that,
>     short of physically yanking the card?

 You got me.

>   - I found the Control Center but can't control anything, what do I need
>     to do?

 You're not supposed to do anything except kill, Kill, KILL!

 The second scenario is definitely better than the first.  Battle has
been slightly modified (you can't spell on a surprise round), and
some spells work (like katino, manifo, montino, and latumapic) that
don't work well (or at all) in the first scenario.  I've played a
little in the third scenario, and it looks OK, too.

 Hope you're satisfied.

	- sam black
	    [alias POOPH the samurai (level 27, 233 HP)]

jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) (01/31/85)

> First, by way of review, I must admit that the first time I plugged in the
> disk, I played for 11 hours straight.

I wholeheartedly agree, when I first got Wizardry, I played at least
20 hours a week.

> - What level do my characters have to be to bring them into the second
>   scenario?

Level 14 is a useful minimum, but I find it really depends on the
characters' abilities and their types.

> - What good are those silver keys you find near the boar statue in the
>   secret 1x1 room on the first level?

Keys, statues, ribbons, and similar things are actually the "passports"
into various sections of the dungeon.  If you don't have them, then you
cannot enter either because of a lack of strength, poisonous gas, etc.

> - Where does the Private Elevator (Use Button D and go to end of hall)
>   take you?  I've never had a gutsy enough party to use it.

Levels 4 through 9.

> - Is there any way to regenerate HPs without using up spells or leaving
>   the maze?

No.

-Mithrandir
jak@talcott.{UUCP,ARPA}

ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) (02/01/85)

From postnews Thu Jan 31 16:21:38 1985
(*  if you have to munch a line, chew on this one *)

> - What level do my characters have to be to bring them into the second
>   scenario?

  I have no idea, I have never played the second one, but I am sure that
  after finishing, the characters will be high enough.

> - What good are those silver keys you find near the boar statue in the
>   secret 1x1 room on the first level?

  It has been awhile, but I remeber using them on a door somewhere on
  2nd or 3rd level.

> - Where does the Private Elevator (Use Button D and go to end of hall)
>   take you?  I've never had a gutsy enough party to use it.

  It takes you to the lower levels.  It is the main way to get there.
  There are ways to go down using stairs (I haven't found them all) but
  the elevators are quicker.  If you get to the fourth level and (ahem,
  slight spoiler) get your pass, then it is assumed, you can handle the
  lower levels.  This way you can skip levels 2-8 if you are a 15th and
  higher level character and get right to the nitty gritty.  Going down
  beyond your level of competence and defeating higher level monsters
  will give you lots of experience (relatively speaking) but is
  dangerous.

> - Is there any way to regenerate HPs without using up spells or leaving
>   the maze?

  No, not to my knowledge.

> - I found the Control Center but can't control anything, what do I need
>   to do?

  I don't think anything can be controlled since the front panel operators
  obviously have to be wiped out before you can enter.

From postnews Thu Jan 31 16:33:31 1985

(*  if you have to munch a line, chew on this one *)

> - What level do my characters have to be to bring them into the second
>   scenario?

  I have no idea, I have never played the second one, but I am sure that
  after finishing, the characters will be high enough.

> - What good are those silver keys you find near the boar statue in the
>   secret 1x1 room on the first level?

  It has been awhile, but I remeber using them on a door somewhere on
  2nd or 3rd level.

> - Where does the Private Elevator (Use Button D and go to end of hall)
>   take you?  I've never had a gutsy enough party to use it.

  It takes you to the lower levels.  It is the main way to get there.
  There are ways to go down using stairs (I haven't found them all) but
  the elevators are quicker.  If you get to the fourth level and (ahem,
  slight spoiler) get your pass, then it is assumed, you can handle the
  lower levels.  This way you can skip levels 2-8 if you are a 15th and
  higher level character and get right to the nitty gritty.  Going down
  beyond your level of competence and defeating higher level monsters
  will give you lots of experience (relatively speaking) but is
  dangerous.

> - Is there any way to regenerate HPs without using up spells or leaving
>   the maze?

  No, not to my knowledge.

> - I found the Control Center but can't control anything, what do I need
>   to do?

  I don't think anything can be controlled since the front panel operators
  obviously have to be wiped out before you can enter.

sitze@rruxo.UUCP (R Sitze) (02/05/85)

	In answer to your questions, to the best of my knowledge which
is admittedly limited :

1. Suggested level of play for the Second Scenario is at least 12th level.
   14 or better would be my personal minimum...

2. Possession of the Keys allows access to various treasure rooms and
   treasures.. (It's been a while... but take it from me, you need em..)

3. More Monsters.

4. If you find an answer to this one I'd like to know.  I usually end up
   growing old fast over this one (literally).

5. Suffer.  On the IBM-PC you don't have this problem. (I'm familier with
   both).

6. As far as I know, there is nothing to control, you just hack-n-slash
   your way in here and get mucho points.