[net.games.frp] Magic Systems

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/07/85)

In article <166@gitpyr.UUCP> robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) writes:

>I've had many gripes about the magic system for a while and I've started
>thinking about a new system....
>
>Get rid of the illusionist and create 5 subclasses: incanters, gesturers,
>alchemists, enscribers and willers...
>

>Now, instead of starting them off with a set of basic spells, give them a
>set of 'building blocks'.  The blocks can be modified and put together in
>various ways in order to create spells, based on a set of natural laws...
>
>Robert Viduya
>Georgia Institute of Technology

If you are interested in this sort of a magic system, you might want to
look at _Chivalry and Sorcery_, which was an early attempt to do this,
and _Lands of Adventure_, which is a later attempt.  I believe that
_Worlds of Wonder_ might also be similar, though I haven't seen it myself.

_Lands of Adventure_ has the advantage that the author, Lee Gold, is on the
net, and *might* answer questions, make clarifications, etc.

						-- Scott