[net.games.frp] Geomancy?

ncg@ukc.UUCP (N.C.Gale) (03/15/85)

In article <298@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:
>While not commenting on the other changes made, I would like to point out
>that the word "geomancy" is being used incorrectly.  Geomancy is a form of
>divination in which one uses a sand tray (or pen and paper) as a binary
>randomizing device to arrive at a quasi-astrological figure.  This figure is
>then interpreted in traditional ways.  While geomancy certainly could be
>introduced into AD&D, what druids do is definitely not geomancy.

I thought:
geo = that related to the Earth
mancy = magic

therefore geo mancy is earth magic.
Since the concept of 'earth force' is a startlingly common one in
separately developing cultures (Ancient Britons, North American Indians,
Classical Chinese etc), I thought that a system of magic based on
the concept should have some formal title, and 'Geomancy' seemed
to fit. I didn't know that geomancy already had a different meaning.
My most Umble Pologies.

-Nigel Gale

PS I like my meaning better, and I shall continue to use it, so nah.

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (03/19/85)

I don't have a dictionary here, but I was under the impression that "-mancy"
referred specifically to modes of divination.  Thus geomancy, chiromancy,
oneiromancy, etc.  I could be wrong.  As for the rest, it sounds like what
you really mean is "shamanism".  Unfortunately, AD&D druidism is very unlike
shamanism, though I try to play my druids in a more shamanistic fashion.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

play@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (03/20/85)

In article <322@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:
>I don't have a dictionary here, but I was under the impression that "-mancy"
>referred specifically to modes of divination.  Thus geomancy, chiromancy,
>oneiromancy, etc.  I could be wrong.

You are right.
	-mancy 'divination by means of';
	derives from Greek manteia 'oracle, divination'.