[net.games.frp] Judges Guild?

pop@bunkerb.UUCP (Paul Pederson) (03/27/85)

Anyone have the real scoop on what happened (or is happening) at Judges
Guild?  I've heard several rumors, but cannot believe everything which I've
heard.  Specifically:

	1) Judges Guild was involved in an legal action against TSR.  Is
this true?  Why?  I've been told it was a case of a "falling out" between
the two companies and the legal action was a result of the anomosity felt
between the two companies.  Is this really true?

	2) Judges Guild was prohibited from using any D&D-like references
in their works during and after the suit, therefore, they came up with their
"universal role playing system".  Is this really the case?  If so, how can
companies like "Mayfair Games" produce modules which are AD&D compatable?

	3) A few years ago, Arneson took TSR to court because he felt that
he was the originator of D&D, and therefore should receive just compenstation
from TSR.  Is this true?  If so, what was the outcome of the case?  I've heard
that this court case was a major reason why there has been a "shake up" at
TSR (employees leaving and starting up the company "Pacesetter").  Anyone
with the real scoop?  Anyone with further speculation?

It's always interesting to know the "real action behind the scenes", but all
I've heard are rumors.  Anyone with light to shed on all this?  Thanks in
advance.

	-Paul Pederson
	{decvax, philabs, ittvax}!bunker!pop

west@utcsri.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (04/03/85)

 1) Arneson settled out of court with TSR for an undisclosed sum
of money.  It is rumoured to have reasonably substantial, but not
enourmous.  The reason for this court case was that Arneson, while
receiving royalties from TSR for D+D, did NOT receive any for AD+D,
since he was not a direct author.  He claimed that since he was the
inventor of half the system (the magic half, I have heard, EGG did the
combat half), he should have received something for the 'new edition'
of D+D.

 2) Judges Guild has had a falling out with TSR *and* GDW (Traveller).
They thus have lost the priveledge of making officially AD+D approved
anything. (Same with Traveller).  I don't know if they underwent legal'
proceedings, but as one can guess, this has put Judges Guild on the back-burner
for a while.  They aren't bankrupt (yet.) but they are planning very few
new releases.

  Tom West			'Serve the Computer
				 The Computer Is Your Friend.'
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsri!west

erica@orca.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (04/03/85)

In article <457@bunkerb.UUCP> pop@bunkerb.UUCP (Paul Pederson) writes:

>	3) A few years ago, Arneson took TSR to court because he felt that
>he was the originator of D&D, and therefore should receive just compenstation
>from TSR.  Is this true?  If so, what was the outcome of the case?  I've heard
>that this court case was a major reason why there has been a "shake up" at
>TSR (employees leaving and starting up the company "Pacesetter").  Anyone
>with the real scoop?  Anyone with further speculation?

Yes, Dave Arneson was one of the original authors of Dungeons and Dragons.
You will note that he is listed as author in the original books.  The
volume on Blackmoor is based on the campaign he ran in Minneapolis.

I have no direct knowledge of a law suit but have heard from people who know
him and who were involved in his original campaign that there was such as suit
and I belive that he did recieve some money.

Last I heard Arneson was still living in the Twin Cities area and has his
own game company.  I think that "Adventures in Fantasy" is the name, but
it has been a while so I may be wrong.

		-Eric Anderson

west@cs.reading.UUCP (Jeremy West @ Reading Unversity) (04/06/85)

[This is my honest belief, but is still only rumour...]

I don't know much about TSR vs Judges Guild, but I understand
that TSR was forced to file under Chapter 14 (bancruptcy
proceedings of some sort??) recently.

Apparently all worked out ok (no need for the bank to sell 'em
off cheap) but this could be why they've had such a major shakeup.

        Jerry   ...{mcvax|edcaad}!ukc!reading!cs!west
                possibly also west@reading.cs.uucp