[net.music] Bruce Cockburn & Passport

stuart@rochester.UUCP (07/04/85)

From: Stuart Friedberg  <stuart>

Hi,
  I don't normally read net.music, so if you have any responses please
MAIL them to me, perhaps in addition to sending them to the net.  I'm
not sure how to classify these, but jazz/fusion probably comes fairly
close for Passport and folk is halfway appropriate for Cockburn.

Passport:

  I recently rummaged through the bargain bins and found the album
"Earthborn" by Passport.  I had never heard of them, but I bought it.
Wonderful!  I went back and dug up the album "Blue Tattoo".  Not so
good.  Can anybody provide some additional discography for these guys
and recommendations pro or con?

Bruce Cockburn:

  Years ago I got his album "Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws", which I
enjoyed very much.  I have since acquired "Human Beings" (Beans?) and
"Stealing Fire".  Unfortunately, these two albums are much too
politicized and the music suffers as a result.  Can anybody point me
to some of his work that is as good musically as DinDJ?  I'll tolerate
the politics if the music is up to snuff.

Stu Friedberg  {seismo, allegra}!rochester!stuart  stuart@rochester

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (07/08/85)

> Bruce Cockburn:
>
>   Years ago I got his album "Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws", which I
> enjoyed very much.  I have since acquired "Human Beings" (Beans?) and
> "Stealing Fire".  Unfortunately, these two albums are much too
> politicized and the music suffers as a result.  Can anybody point me
> to some of his work that is as good musically as DinDJ?  I'll tolerate
> the politics if the music is up to snuff.
>
> Stu Friedberg  {seismo, allegra}!rochester!stuart  stuart@rochester

I've heard every Cockburn album since "Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws",
but I don't think my recommendation will help Stu much because I find
the music on "Stealing Fire" far more interesting than any of the other
albums.  "Inner City Front" is my second favourite, and I don't think it's
as political as "Stealing Fire" or "Humans".
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff