[net.games.frp] Limiting Magic

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (04/02/85)

In article <26000002@siemens.UUCP> steve@siemens.UUCP writes:

>By the way, I have a really neat magic system, but it has one flaw that
>the obvious solutions won't really fix:  a magic user can go off and spend
>some huge amount of time making an arbitrary number of potions or enchanted
>swords or whatever and then carry huge amounts of magic with him.  Any
>suggestions on "realistic" reasons why magic users cannot do this, that don't
>restrict the ability to make a few potions or swords or whatever?

There are several easy solutions to this.  Encumbrance is the first;
after all, think how few bottles of pop you can carry with you, even
if you have a backpack or a pack horse.  Make potions the size of a
large (750 ml) bottle of pop, and you limit MUs simply on encumbrance.

Another simple fix is to say that magic items give off some magic
radiation that is somewhat similar to radioactivity.  (This is what
is picked up by a Detect Magic spell).  Too many magic items in one
small area is similar to too much Uranium 235 crammed together; you
get critical mass and the whole thing blows up.  Extremely experienced
magicians are sometimes able to build magic "dampers", similar to
lead shields.  Thus, high level MUs can carry a little bit more because
they can block out SOME of the radiation.  There is always a little
radiation that leaks no matter how effective a damper you have, so
you can't have an infinite supply of stuff with you.

A final simple fix is the opposite of the previous one.  Instead of
giving off radiation, magic items leech energy (manna) from the
surrounding environment.  (The "manna" concept is used in several
stories by Larry Niven, e.g. "What Good is a Glass Dagger?")  The
magical properties of the items depend on a constant supply of manna
being absorbed.  Too many magic items in one place drain the local
manna; then, like plants without water, all the items die (lose their
magical potency).  In the Niven stories, the manna in an area never
came back once it was used, so flagrant use of manna in a particular
region exhausted that region forever and magic would never again work
there.  An interesting situation for a campaign...a world on the edge
of manna depletion, trying to survive reality.  Images of a Swords and
Sorcery Morrow Project spring to mind...

			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (04/03/85)

> 			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo
>
> In article <26000002@siemens.UUCP> steve@siemens.UUCP writes:
>
> >By the way, I have a really neat magic system, but it has one flaw that
> >the obvious solutions won't really fix:  a magic user can go off and spend
> >some huge amount of time making an arbitrary number of potions or enchanted
> >swords or whatever and then carry huge amounts of magic with him.  Any
> >suggestions on "realistic" reasons why magic users cannot do this, that don't
> >restrict the ability to make a few potions or swords or whatever?

The three solutions Jim mentioned are all silly.  Encumbrance is a good
idea but making magic items oversized (a potion == the size of a bottle
of soda.  Be real.) is overdoing it.  The critical-mass concept of magic is
just plain stupid.  Can you imagine 2 high-level MUs shaking hands.  Whoops,
too much magic in a certain volume.  BOOM!!  Magic as manna is pretty bad,
too.  It made for a great story, but think about the implications.  Do
you REALLY want to tie your world to this kind of system.  Imagine keeping
track of how much manna has been drained from each area of your world.  Ugh.

My solution:  Let'em cart around as much magic as they want.  First,
figure out how much they'll be bogged down by all the junk they're
hauling around.  If somebody wants to carry around two staves, 10
wands, and a 2-handed sword, let him.  What with all the other stuff
that adventurers normally carry, he'll be lucky if he makes it down the
hallway without tripping.  Then, when they need something in a hurry,
figure out how long it'll take them to find the one thing they want.
If they answer "I put it in my bag of holding along with the other 99
potions..." they're hosed.  And don't tell them about the party of
NPC's who're after them because they did a "Detect Magic" and almost
had their eyes burned out by the aura.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (04/03/85)

Another more or less standard way of limiting a mage's ability to make
potions/enchanted swords/etc. is to have each such item tie up one of
the mage's Intelligence points (or Talent points, Power points, whatever),
thereby lowering his overall spellcasting ability.

This system can also be used to limit the number of Undead a Necromancer
or Evil Cleric can control.

Spelling Nitpick:  Manna is the food that rained down on the Hebrews in
the desert.  Magical energy is MANA.

--Lee Gold

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (04/03/85)

> By the way, I have a really neat magic system, but it has one flaw that
> the obvious solutions won't really fix:  a magic user can go off and spend
> some huge amount of time making an arbitrary number of potions or enchanted
> swords or whatever and then carry huge amounts of magic with him.  Any
> suggestions on "realistic" reasons why magic users cannot do this, that don't
> restrict the ability to make a few potions or swords or whatever?

Another reason why this isn't so hot is that a lower level MU can make
+1 swords, etc much more easily than +2, etc.  If wants to carry around
100 +1 swords (or 100 potions of water walking, etc) that's fine, but
they won't help him much (and will probably attract lots of brigands who
want to outfit their entire army with +1 stuff...)

	Wayne

baldwin@cornell.UUCP (Michael S. Baldwin) (04/03/85)

yeah, well, whatever

I prefer the idea of expensive material components being required to create
lasting magic.  After all, what were all those spells written with? and on?
For instance, inscribing a rune for a fire spell, better have a little
ground ruby and dragon blood, etc.  This solution make seem artificial,
but consider that a spell is a piece of power contained and focused by the
mage's will, if he continues to concentrate on the spell, no problem, but
if he ignores it entropy sets in and the spell decays until there's nothing
left.  The rationale for material components of this nature is to say that
they have sufficient power to hold the spell in statis until it is invoked,
which negates the need for continous concentration.  Another alternative
along this line is to limit the total number of items on the rationale that
some part of your will must continue to concentrate on all magic that you
have created to maintain its existance, if you make too much, you forget
about that one wand, and POOF, gone.  The problem here, of course, is
death, what happens to all your magic if you die, and ergo cease to will
its continued existance, and what about enemy mages and their items?
Perhaps the loss of the mage causes only a slow decay that can be reversed
if caught in time.

hmm....

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (04/03/85)

> yeah, well, whatever
>
> I prefer the idea of expensive material components being required to create
> lasting magic.  After all, what were all those spells written with? and on?
> For instance, inscribing a rune for a fire spell, better have a little
> ground ruby and dragon blood, etc.  This solution make seem artificial,
> but consider that a spell is a piece of power contained and focused by the
> mage's will, if he continues to concentrate on the spell, no problem, but
> if he ignores it entropy sets in and the spell decays until there's nothing
> left.  The rationale for material components of this nature is to say that
> they have sufficient power to hold the spell in statis until it is invoked,
> which negates the need for continous concentration.

     Dragon blood for a fire spell?  This reminds me of the 'example' list of
ingredients for the components of the ink for a protection from petrification
scroll, which is listed in the AD&D DM's guide.  The ingredients include
parts from several different petrification-causing monsters!  Anyone who
actually *needs* protection from petrification would never be able to
gather the requisite components.  Catch-22.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (04/04/85)

>The three solutions Jim mentioned are all silly.  Encumbrance is a good
>idea but making magic items oversized (a potion == the size of a bottle
>of soda.  Be real.) is overdoing it.  The critical-mass concept of magic is
>just plain stupid.  Can you imagine 2 high-level MUs shaking hands.  Whoops,
>too much magic in a certain volume.  BOOM!!  Magic as manna is pretty bad,
>too.  It made for a great story, but think about the implications.  Do
>you REALLY want to tie your world to this kind of system.  Imagine keeping
>track of how much manna has been drained from each area of your world.  Ugh.
>
>My solution:  Let'em cart around as much magic as they want.  First,
>figure out how much they'll be bogged down by all the junk they're
>hauling around.  If somebody wants to carry around two staves, 10
>wands, and a 2-handed sword, let him.

Silly?  Silly!  No, no, no flaming...but I think what we have here is
a difference in gaming styles.  I see no reason, for example, why a magic
potion must come in easy-to-swallow quantities.  It's an interesting
break in convention that could lead to amusing results, and make the
players pay attention to what's going on...anything to break the Munchkin
mentality that was described so well in the recent posting to net.games.

Similarly, I think the "magic as manna" set-up could make a very
interesting background to a campaign; I'd be surprised if it hasn't
been used by someone somewhere.  Keeping track of how much manna there
is around wouldn't be hard -- you just assume that there is sufficient
manna around for simple magic, and gross expenditures in one location
will deplete the supply.  The GM can throw in the occasional "dead spot"
here and there to keep things interesting.  In fact, one could make a
very interesting scenario on exploring a dead spot, figuring out what
sucked all the manna away.  There must be something gross in the area,
and facing it without magic would be a challenging role-playing experience.

The "magic as radiation" set-up is also an interesting world background.
Why can't gods fight each other?  Because they're too powerful to be in
the same place at the same time.  Why do powerful rival wizards leave each
other alone?  Same reason.  Remember, we are not talking about reasonable
quantities of magic here; we are trying to limit players who want to
arm themselves to the teeth.

Ray Chen's suggestion is another reasonable approach, but I point out
it does NOT solve the problem given in the original message.  The problem
was that two first level MUs spent a year making 100 bottles of an
Illusion potion, then set out to thump the baddies.  If you assume
that they can fit those bottles in a single bag of holding, they don't
need to worry about anything.  They keep one bottle on their person
and 99 bottles in the bag.  When they reach into the bag, they know
they always get what they want, so there's scarcely any delay at all.
With one or two bottles in their back pockets, to guard against sudden
surprises (e.g. someone grabbing the bag in combat), they're laughing.

Furthermore, I point out that it is going to be more trouble for
the GM to keep track of how long it takes to draw a sword or find a
potion in a bag than it is to tell someone at the start of an adventure,
"Sorry, you can't carry that much with you."  That bogs things down at
precisely the wrong moment: during combat when things are usually slow
enough already.

			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

hammond@petrus.UUCP (04/04/85)

In article <26000002@siemens.UUCP> steve@siemens.UUCP writes:

>By the way, I have a really neat magic system, but it has one flaw that
>the obvious solutions won't really fix:  a magic user can go off and spend
>some huge amount of time making an arbitrary number of potions or enchanted
>swords or whatever and then carry huge amounts of magic with him.  Any
>suggestions on "realistic" reasons why magic users cannot do this, that don't
>restrict the ability to make a few potions or swords or whatever?

1) Any mu high enough level to go off and make enchanted items should have
made plenty of enemies.  Why should he remain undisturbed?
2) Don't your characters age?  Why should the mu be able to spend "huge"
amounts of time without dying?  Doing high level magic could be like
being a chemist, last I heard, chemists had the shortest life expectancy
of any profession requiring a college degree.
3) How does the mu support himself while making the magic?  He must interact
with others for food and other suppplies.  If he has a stronghold he must
spend some time keeping it secure.  Even if the local thieves learn to
stay away, what about wandering adventurers?

Just some suggestions.
Rich Hammond	{ihnp4, allegra, ucbvax} bellcore!hammond

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Swamp Thing) (04/04/85)

> By the way, I have a really neat magic system, but it has one flaw that
> the obvious solutions won't really fix:  a magic user can go off and spend
> some huge amount of time making an arbitrary number of potions or enchanted
> swords or whatever and then carry huge amounts of magic with him.  Any
> suggestions on "realistic" reasons why magic users cannot do this, that don't
> restrict the ability to make a few potions or swords or whatever?
>
> The first time a couple players tried my system out they rolled up new
> characters, both became magic users, and spent a year making "runes of
> illusion".  (Illusion is a first level spell, and they both specialized in
> rune writing, which means that was the only way they could do  magic.)
> They then set off with backpacks full of runes that they could use at a
> moment's notice, effectively having hundreds of illusion spells available.
> It was funny, but a disaster as well.  They were supposed to be able to
> make some small number of runes, not hundreds; but they were also not supposed
> to hang around town so long before they left.

The simplest way of curing this problem that I can think of is to remind
players that they don't live in a vacuum.  If two 1st-level nurds want to spend
a year making magic (assuming your system allows this), the first thing they
have to worry about is how to support themselves.  Sure, they can sell their
services, but that takes time.  Manufacturing items usually (and, I think
should) require intense consentration for long preiods of time.  It is also
usually expensive.  And writing scrolls takes ink.  Not just any old ink, but
magic ink.  This is also hard and expensive to make, and should not be
available in umlimited supply (how many black dragon claws can you expect to
find, for gosh sakes).

If that doesn't stop them, perhaps it's time to introduce them to some of your
more interesting NPC's.  Hundreds of scrolls should be worth alot of money.  If
you're just sitting in town making scrolls for a year, the local Thieve's Guild
is certain to find out.  Mabye a local mage (perhaps the one selling them all
that ink and scroll paper) gets a little greedy.  The possibilities are
endless.  I just can't see a first-level character holding on to something that
valuable too long.

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (04/05/85)

> magical potency).  In the Niven stories, the manna in an area never
> came back once it was used, so flagrant use of manna in a particular
> region exhausted that region forever and magic would never again work
> there.  An interesting situation for a campaign...a world on the edge
> of manna depletion, trying to survive reality.  Images of a Swords and
> Sorcery Morrow Project spring to mind...
> 			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

If I recall, in Niven's story, sacrifices would restore some quantity of
manna to an area (I believe there were other ways, but that was the most
effective, and it wasn't terribly so).  Given that, it seems like you could
work up a really good campaign (if you rate campaigns on dramatic tension).
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

You can't spell "vile" without "vi".

james@alberta.UUCP (James Borynec) (04/05/85)

To limit the amount of magic a mu can have,  Why not
let the enchantment decay on magic items.  The Higher the
magic level, the slower the decay.

As Items decay, there is an increased chance the the spell
will malfunction.

The decay could be very faint in the begining and accelerate
to become totally useless in a matter of days? months? years?

Jim Borynec

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (04/06/85)

> Similarly, I think the "magic as manna" set-up could make a very
> interesting background to a campaign; I'd be surprised if it hasn't
> been used by someone somewhere . . . .

Ah, yes, Piers Anthony's pet concept of magic (among others, I'm
sure).  One set of his books (he never seems to write fewer than
three books on a subject), the Proton/Phaze trilogy, makes an
interesting parallel between mana magic and technology in a split-
universe planet (sort of like Pyramid's UNIX, actually).

I myself would also be interested in anyone's experience with
playing such a campaign.  The mana-depleted regions seem to have
some very interesting possibilities.  I'll be thinking about this.

					Phil Kos
					The Johns Hopkins Hospital

"Okay, the directions say to turn right from the elevators."
"You're in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."
"Oh, hell.  Eric sent me to the morgue again."

eppstein@columbia.UUCP (David Eppstein) (04/06/85)

Ok all you net.games.frp.physics experts, tell me this:
Is mana conserved?  Does it go away because of entropy,
or because it gets tied up in various mages' projects
and never released (i.e. if you break the spell do you
get mana back or is it gone forever)?

robertp@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (04/07/85)

Most of the answers on "how to limit magic" are intrusive kludges
that cause more problems than they solve.  A better approach is to

1.  Is it a bad thing for mages to make magic items to help
themselves? Admittedly, having player characters act intelligently
can be a bit of a shock, but there's nothing WRONG about it.

2.  If it IS clear that the quantity of magic items they can churn
out is too high, you should reassess the magic creation rules in
light of how you want magic to work.  If magic is supposed to be
technology by another name, then mass production, economy of scale,
and other (revolting) things will be likely to work.  If, on the
other hand, magic is an obscure and difficult art, making magic
items is likely to be time-consuming, erratic, and expensive.  Just
HOW time-consuming, erratic, and expensive it is is up to you.

3.  Restrictions that are presented in terms of campaign-world
problems, like materials costs or the time it takes to get something
done, are more palatable than arbitrary rulings that a mage can't
make more than x items without turning into a vegetable or
something.

4.  To simulate the arcane, hit-and-miss approach to magic, large
portions of the rules should be kept secret from the players, which
will force them to use trial-and-error, or steal other magicians'
secrets.

	Robert  Plamondon
	..!decwrl!turtlevax!weitek!robertp

ttorgers@udenva.UUCP (Troy Torgerson) (04/08/85)

In article <> baldwin@cornell.UUCP (Michael S. Baldwin) writes:
>yeah, well, whatever
>
>I prefer the idea of expensive material components being required to create
>lasting magic.  After all, what were all those spells written with? and on?
>For instance, inscribing a rune for a fire spell, better have a little
>ground ruby and dragon blood, etc.  This solution make seem artificial,
>but consider that a spell is a piece of power contained and focused by the
>mage's will, if he continues to concentrate on the spell, no problem, but
>if he ignores it entropy sets in and the spell decays until there's nothing
>left.  The rationale for material components of this nature is to say that
>they have sufficient power to hold the spell in statis until it is invoked,
>which negates the need for continous concentration.  Another alternative
>along this line is to limit the total number of items on the rationale that
>some part of your will must continue to concentrate on all magic that you
>have created to maintain its existance, if you make too much, you forget
>about that one wand, and POOF, gone.  The problem here, of course, is
>death, what happens to all your magic if you die, and ergo cease to will
>its continued existance, and what about enemy mages and their items?
>Perhaps the loss of the mage causes only a slow decay that can be reversed
>if caught in time.
>
>hmm....

I agree with the spell components part, but the concentration gets too
messy to deal with. .  I think that perhaps extending the material
components idea a bit would be better.

Ok, to take the example from above, a ruby and dragon's blood.  These
are nice things to need to cast a spell.  Where do the PC's get this
stuff from?  Sure they could go down to the nearest MU shop and MAYBE
get some Dragon blood. . .  How much does Dragon blood cost?  How
much is available?  WHAT kind of dragon blood?  Even in a very large
city, there won't be that much Dragon blood. . .  Since killing a Dragon
contains some considerable risk (& travel expenses!) the price for
a very small vial of the stuff should be rather high.  If the Dragon
blood has to be fairly fresh, a lot would be a waste to keep around,
so the local shop shouldn't carry much and if the PC's managed to get
large quanties of the stuff, then it should spoil before they use
much of it!  The results of using spoiled dragons blood could cause
the spell to blow up or backfire(going off right then) or cause
the spell to backfire at a later date, or . . .   All of which
would, of course, destroy the ruby and maybe whatever the spell
was cast on(or who) etc...  Lot's of possiblities here for the creative
DM!  Ok,  now for what kind of Dragon blood. . .  Let's say the PC's
are in a town or city that leans towards the good alignments.  Now, if they
need evil Dragon's blood, then nobody would mind, BUT if they needed
the Blood from a GOOD Dragon, (which is of course outlawed there!)
they would have to *try* to deal with the thieves guild, most likely
from another town, to get some (which would of course cost double
or triple the normal price, which is already high. . .) OR, better yet,
the PC's might not be able to convince anyone else to get them some
Dragon blood, so they have to go out and find one (of the right color!)
by themselves!  Enough about Dragon blood, since everyone can see
where that goes. . :-)

Now, about the ruby. .  How much do you need EACH time the PC
casts the spell?  What value?  If the ruby was only 100gp value,
then make the spell need at least 10 or so..  or something along
those lines. . .  Maybe a 5000 or 10000 gp ruby might be needed if the
spell is powerful enough. . .  Of course, there is the tricky problem
of getting hundreds of the rubies (No matter what their cost) in a town
that has maybe one or two jewelry shops.  I'm sure you can't just
walk into a place and buy a hundred 100gp rubies all in one shot!
Say the PC's *try* to get *even* with the DM by "ordering" those rubies
from a shop to be delivered later. . .  Well, the shop could take
the order on the condition that the PC's put up the money
for them in advance (anywhere from 70-100%) and then tell
the PC's that it will take at LEAST a week. . .  And of course,
there just happened to be a thief from the thieve's guild from
somewhere who heard this deal going on, and plots to waylay them
on the way to the city or comes in to the shop when the gems
arrive, polymorphed as one of the PC's who ordered the gems in the first
place!  What happens if the shopkeeper passes off
the rubies as 100gp when they are really 50 or 75 gp. . .
This would really screw up a spell!  Lot's of possibilities here too!
Of course, once this has happened, the PC's might want to hire
an escort for the gems (or the shopkeeper, who would charge for that too!)
which would cost a lot of money (especially if they wanted honest ones!)

Now for the most important part!  WHERE are the PC's going to get
all the money to BUY all these things?  Sitting around and spending
money for year really depletes the money bags!  Unless you run
a MH campaign, which I'm sure you don't or this whole thing
wouldn't have bothered you in the first place, The PC's will have
to go find work or earn money in some other way to pay for all
this!

All this should limit the number of things that they can create
because of the shear factor of the time involved. . .  Of course,
if the PC's WANT to do that, then I have already given a very small
example of the possibilities for adventures that would be a lot
of fun for both the player and the DM!  After all, if they had to go through
several adventures just to get the ingredients for something, then
they would really appreciate that item (be it scroll or whatever)
and they wouldn't waste it (scroll etc..) either!

Sure, if they show signs of only wanting to create something
on a rare basis, you don't have to make it so hard to get the
things that they need, but if they want to abuse the system, then
you can too!

Wow, sorry to get so long, but my fingers and my brain finally got
coordinated!

		Troy
		seismo!hao!udenva!ttorgers

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (04/09/85)

> Ok all you net.games.frp.physics experts, tell me this:
> Is mana conserved?  Does it go away because of entropy,
> or because it gets tied up in various mages' projects
> and never released (i.e. if you break the spell do you
> get mana back or is it gone forever)?

A better idea than to have manna be something having to do with the
surroundings is to make it internal to the magic user. Then you can
use it for spell points, and you have an easy excuse for not letting
people make a lot of magic -- ALL magic of any sort is really a form
of pschic energy, and thus must be somehow tied to a consciousness.
When a magic-user makes a magical item, he must put a bit of his
own consciousness (life force) into it, the more powerful items
requiring more life force. Thus the really powerful magical items
are generally self-conscious and have big egos, and the more magic you
make the more diffuse you become and thus weaker. Old magic-users
don't just die off or become gods in this system -- they get bored
with being humans and become +5 swords and things like that...

	Wayne

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/09/85)

> By the way, I have a really neat magic system, but it has one flaw that
> the obvious solutions won't really fix:  a magic user can go off and spend
> some huge amount of time making an arbitrary number of potions or enchanted
> swords or whatever and then carry huge amounts of magic with him.

Another solution to this problem is to exploit human nature.  People have a
very hard time trading short term gains for long term gains.  So, suppose
you have a player who says "Okay, my Wizard Flem is going to make potions
for a year".  You respond with "Okay, John, we'll see you in six weeks and
we'll make the rolls then to see what potions you made."  If the player
has other characters, make them stay behind to guard and aid the Wizard while
he cranks out magic items.

If a character wants to take a year to make potions, let him, but make sure
that all the other characters get to use that time to their advantage.
Even if you let the player run another character during that time, it will
be very difficult for him to leave his Wizard alone in a tower while all
the other characters plunder some dungeon somewhere.  This is particularly
effective if the other characters find some trinket that the Wizard has
wanted for a long time.  If only he had been along!

Actually, I don't like this solution much - it seems too antagonistic.  The
good thing is that you usually only have to apply it once.

							-- Scott Turner

steve@siemens.UUCP (04/11/85)

I am the one who first posed this question (this time around, anyway),
so I suppose I can put my stamp of approval on the material components
idea, and it will be somewhat official.  I had considered that idea
before and abandoned it as taking too long for me to come up with
material components for every spell.  There's a little known frp game
called 'Chivalry and Sorcery' that takes this idea to an extreme:
the mage has to acquire various components, sometimes mundane like dog's
thigh bone, sometimes exotic like dragon skin, and enchant it before
it can be used for spells.  The enchanting takes a long time and has
high probability of failure, so the mage could spend years enchanting
the components for some high-level spell only to have the enchanting
fail and have to start over.

Of all the suggestions for limiting magic, the material components is
the best one because it is "realistic", flexible (for the dm to determine
how difficult to acquire them), a good source for adventures, and the
players will appreciate their magic much more because it is more involved
(but not more boring) to acheive.

And for the dm's who like to set up scenarios but don't want the players
to know it is set up, it is possible to set up some various scenarios for
the material components of spells (some may be generic, some for specific
components), and it will be totally up to the players to figure out what
to go after, so they won't feel manipulated.

(The usual disclaimer that I don't have Chivalry & Sorcery in front of me
and it's been years since I looked at it.)

-Steve Clark    ...princeton!siemens!steve

euren@ttds.UUCP (Leif Euren) (04/11/85)

In article <500@udenva.UUCP> ttorgers@udenva.UUCP (Troy Torgerson) writes:

>I think that perhaps extending the material components idea a bit would be
>better.

>WHERE are the PC's going to get all the money to BUY all these things?

>go through several adventures just to get the ingredients for something,

>Sure, if they show signs of only wanting to create something
>on a rare basis, you don't have to make it so hard to get the
>things that they need, but if they want to abuse the system, then
>you can too!

This is, I think, the very good way to solve to the problem. And together
with requirement of heigh-level spell, it propably is the best.

In the British magazine White Dwarf issues 58-63 (Nov-84 to Mar-85) was a
series of articles called 'Eyes of Newt and Wings of Bat' explaining how to
make all those goodies of magic items listed in DMG. Not only were strange
and expensive ingriedients required, but also several 'Enchant an Item',
'Permanency' and 'Limited Wish' spells for _each_ item. Due to this rules it
is not impossible to manufacture magic items, but they will surely keep
low-level characters from it.

						Leif Euren  @ ttds

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/16/85)

>By the way, I have a really neat magic system, but it has one flaw that
>the obvious solutions won't really fix:  a magic user can go off and spend
>some huge amount of time making an arbitrary number of potions or enchanted
>swords or whatever and then carry huge amounts of magic with him.  Any
>suggestions on "realistic" reasons why magic users cannot do this, that don't
>restrict the ability to make a few potions or swords or whatever?

I've been working on a set of AD&D enhancements to magic that might help.
The basic problem is that most FRP systems use a simple pass/fail on magic
spells. Reality, of course, is much different. If a spell user sneezes
halfway through a spell, it really isn't likely for the spell to just go
away. A lot of energy (manna?) has been organized already by the parts of
the spell that HAVE been activated, and that has to go somewhere. My
extensions allow for spells to backfire, twist, turn, and generally do
whatever sadistic things the DM can think of. It also allows for messed up
scrolls, with blurs, blotches, and typos causing slight distortions of the
spell that might not be readily noticable until you use the scroll (for
example, you might not notice that the scroll is a 'sheep' scroll instead
of a 'sleep' scroll until you try to use it in battle.

Where this becomes very useful is spell development. The main hazards in
AD&D spell development currently are time and money, and since many DM's
seem to ignore age on PC's, if you have gold, eventually you get the spell.
If you use something like a chemist as a base for creating new magic
compounds, as you get farther towards the edge of knowledge you find
yourself more likely to have something blow up in your face. With magic,
that can be VERY inconvenient, especially if you gate in a demon or
something without appropriate protection. By making it more difficult to
create spells and making it more dangerous to use them you make the magic
user a bit more cautious and help restore a bit of balance to the game.
Would YOU send a mage to create a new spell if you know the DM might just
cause him to blow up and take half the town with it?

chuq
--
:From the closet of anxieties of:                 Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

There is nobody as small as those who refuse to accept the success of others.

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (04/16/85)

> >I think that perhaps extending the material components idea a bit would be
> >better.
>
> This is, I think, the very good way to solve to the problem. And together
> with requirement of heigh-level spell, it propably is the best.
>
> In the British magazine White Dwarf issues 58-63 (Nov-84 to Mar-85) was a
> series of articles called 'Eyes of Newt and Wings of Bat' explaining how to
> make all those goodies of magic items listed in DMG. Not only were strange
> and expensive ingriedients required, but also several 'Enchant an Item',
> 'Permanency' and 'Limited Wish' spells for _each_ item. Due to this rules it
> is not impossible to manufacture magic items, but they will surely keep
> low-level characters from it.

Requiring a lot of material components for making magic items makes
sense, but I think it is a different story with magical components for
routine spells. I have found that if you make players keep track of
every single rat hair and bit of dragon blood they need for a spell,
things get very cumbersome when a lot of spells get cast. This case is
different from magical items, because people will always have to cast
spells, whereas they don't have to make gross magical items. We solved
the problem by just ignoring material components of spells... Has
anybody else had different solutions to these problems?

	Wayne

ncg@ukc.UUCP (N.C.Gale) (04/19/85)

One solution is to never allow the party that many magic items.
In my (Arthurian-like) campaign, magic items are few and far-between,
but normally quite powerful.

No magic users of a sufficiently high level to create magic items exist.
All magic items have their source in Heaven, Hell, or some stupendously
powerful mu long ago.

Some of my players have been in my campaign for a year and a half,
they are of 5/6/7th level, but none of them have ever had more than
two or three magic items.

-Nige Gale.

PS: they do have plenty of other objectives to strive towards