[net.games.frp] Paladins,Charactor Killing & other than TSR

chuck@anwar.UUCP (chuck jann) (04/30/85)

[]
>From: ttorgers@udenva.UUCP (Troy Torgerson)
>Subject: Paladins
>Ok, we all know that Paladins are a pain in the *, but what I'd like to
>know is how do people play their Palidins? (Or DO they play Paladins?)
>How do all you DM's handle your Paladins PC's and NPC's?
>Specifically, how do you handle a Paladin PC that is being played
>as a pain in the ass instead of a Paladin. . .
>I would like a better method than just killing the Paladin off,
>because I don't believe in that kind of DM'ing.  I only believe in
>letting someone die if they do something to deserve it.
If the paladin is x level have him run into a (x+d6+[456?]) cleric of his churchthat should be good for controling him for awhile. Or try hving his powers fade
when he is not perfectly LAWFUL GOOD. Maybe give him a disease (he will of
course ask how HE could be diseased, tell him you don't have any idea.)
Give him a REAL HARD time getting trained by the church.  He does give most
of this treasure to the church, right? If not they will be upset enough to
send something after him! ect. ect. ect.

>From: fox@daemen.UUCP (Merlin)
>Subject: Character Killing
>
>     I am a DM and a Player of about 5 yrs and 7yrs respectively.
>I have found that killing characters is not worth the trouble.
>Reasons:
>      I have found that killing characters brings up many little hatreds
>between friends, not PC's, but people themselves.  This easily breaks
>long-time friendships, and it has broken them. This I find to be rather
>sad to see two or more people hate each other just because of a game.
>After all that's all any of the frp games is, just a game.
>    In my views and many DM's that I know, for a PC to kill off another PC
>even if the Alignments clash is just plain stupid. If the alignments clash
>then the person who is bringing in a character that is the opposite alignment
>of the party should not be allowed by the DM to bring in that PC.
>     The thing that I am saying to all of you frp'ers out there is that
>for one PC to attack another PC just cause he is doing something that he
>doesn't like is not worth the time or trouble it causes outside of the
>game.

In most of the games we play there is a fair amount of charactors killing
charactors. This usually upsets he who dies. When one PC creates lots of
problems for other PCs somthing must be done. Sometimes the only thing
that works is the big D. This is not player to player but charactor
killing (or better yet causing without doing it yourself) charactor.
Sooner or later the player stops playing the type of charactor that creates
problems. This makes for better gaming for all and most players know it is
the charactors and not the players who are fighting.

>From: fung@daemen.UUCP (Kenneth Worzel Fung)
>Subject: other than TSR
>	Has anyone out yonder come across this situation:
>	A player who encounters a new class NOT put out by TSR, and
>	finds a BIG challenge to fight. He then complains that the
>	class is unsuitable, or even (Heaven help us) illegal.
>	My question is:
>		Do I allow such a class not to exist just
>	because one of the players haven't heard about it for
>	it didn't appear in Dragon magazine or anything else
>	by TSR.
>	Please respond via net, for I thinnk others would also
>	be interested in the results!!

If you (the DM) like a class USE IT! You can never give your players
to much challenge. If you really need to justify it look at it this way
 When you are out in the world do you always know  what someone you
 run into can do? I don't. How could you? Make it interesting for them
 by keeping them on their toes, always expecting THE UNKNOWN! (shudder : }
--

UUCP address:	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra}!philabs!hhb!chuck

A UNIHORN DOES NOT A UNICORN MAKE