[net.games.frp] Adventure Log

steve@avsdS.UUCP (Steve Russell) (06/04/85)

> FLAME ON
> 	PLEASE do not send anymore of these Chronicles to the net. Not
> 	everybody wants to read them. For us in Europe the price
> 	of trans-atlantic phone calls is not funny. Other systems may
> 	not be as crunched for space as us but I am sure this sort of
> 	thing isn't appreciated.
> FLAME OFF

You've GOT to be kidding!!!!!

First--if you don't want to read the thing, that's what the "n" key is for.

Second--There is so much OTHER STUFF coming over the net in ALL THE OTHER
newsgroups that our percentage of time on the phone lines is very small (have
you read net.jokes lately, for example?). Unless you've got some special
system that ONLY gets the newsgroups that YOU want to read, you are getting
EVERYTHING!!!

steve

b2@magic.UUCP (06/05/85)

> FLAME ON
> 	PLEASE do not send anymore of these Chronicles to the net. Not
> 	everybody wants to read them. For us in Europe the price
> 	of trans-atlantic phone calls is not funny. Other systems may
> 	not be as crunched for space as us but I am sure this sort of
> 	thing isn't appreciated.
> FLAME OFF

      I would like to point out that have mailing lists that extend to
      Europe do not make the cost of transmitting Chronicles any cheaper,
      in fact, it can only cost just as much as sending it via netnews.
      After all, it costs x cents to send y bits over a X-Atlantic link
      no matter what it is, mail or news.  Actually, unless carefully done, mail
      can cost lots more because of duplications (one separate copy for each
      recipient on a mailing list).  And with netnews one doesn't have
      to mess with the overhead of maintaining a mailing list in the
      first place.  I think netnews is the only proper tool for these kinds of
      publications.  The flamer can use the 'n' key and expire frp news
      faster if disk space is a problem.  This group accounts for very little
      of overall netnews traffic and people here should feel free to publish
      whatever they want, just as the folks in net.auto, net.music, etc., do.

      b2
      {backbone}!bellcore!lust!b2

tgm@ukc.UUCP (T.Murphy) (06/08/85)

I am reposting this article since I now have things organised and
ready for world distribution. Previous article follows:
--------

     From reading the Athorn Advocate and Nige Gale's  over-
view  of  his  campaign  seemed  to me to be an ideal way to
acquire new techniques.  I.e. learn from other peoples  mis-
takes instead of making your own.

     In the manner of Russell Quin I would like  to  form  a
collection  of  adventures  and  post  them to those who are
interested.  It will initially just be to Europe until I can
find someone in the states to distribute from there.

     People might find it  difficult  to  talk  about  their
characters being blown to the four winds and thereabouts but
I will need people to contribute  their  own  adventures  to
make  this  thing  work.  I would prefer if was written from
one characters point of view rather than  an  analysis  from
the  D.M.  or  a post mortem about how nasty the D.M. was to
the poor players.  A continuing report from one or  possibly
two character(s) in a campaign would be ideal.

     I would like to get this started by the end of June  so
if  anyone  can  contribute  by  then  please send it to me.
Those interested in receiving or who would like  to  contri-
bute in future please notify me as well.  My address is:

      {decvax,seismo,philabs}!mcvax!ukc!tcdmath!jaymin

--------
     For those in the states who want to receive this please send your
addresses to Moshe Eliovson at
	{decvax,seismo}!philabs!aecom!eliovson
who will be doing the distribution from the U.S. side. Send the logs to
me though.

>Anyone else keep chronicles of their campaigns?  About a year ago, someone
>started posting one, but stopped after 3 episodes.  Do others want to see
>chronicles posted to the net? YES? NO?

>Sure!  Even though the traffic and load may increase because of the long
>messages, I'm all for it!  The experiences of other players and DMs would
>make interesting reading, I am sure.  Any volunteers?

FLAME ON
	PLEASE do not send anymore of these Chronicles to the net. Not
	everybody wants to read them. For us in Europe the price
	of trans-atlantic phone calls is not funny. Other systems may
	not be as crunched for space as us but I am sure this sort of
	thing isn't appreciated.
FLAME OFF

>YES, but trimmed. There is not much fun in reading about every sword blow.
>Fights are the same in almost every uni-/multi-verse, so I would like to
>read about interesting encounters, mysterious puzzles and such stuff.

This is why I am proposing a mailing list and coordinators and not posting
it to the net. There was sufficient interest in Europe for me to start this
but it will only be practical if the stuff is only distributed this way
and not in the net. Lets have a go at it anyway.

	{decvax,seismo,philabs}!mcvax!ukc!tcdmath!jaymin
or if and only if the above can't be reached
	{decvax,seismo,philabs}!mcvax!ukc!tgm (ukc!tgm@ukc.ac.uk I think)
Joe Jaquinta; c/o D. U. Maths Society; 39.16 Trinity College; Dublin 2; Ireland