[net.games.frp] Elves, Magic & Teleportation

brad@dual.UUCP (Brad Harrington) (06/04/85)

< The Line-Eater Hits. --More-- >

      Why do you always hear about magical artifacts and such being
    made by elves?  The AD&D Players Handbook says that the maximum
    level for an elven magic user is 11, well at 11th level you can
    cast spells up to 5th level... "Enchant An Item" is a 6th level
    spell..  There is a 4th level spell "Enchant Weapon" but this has
    a limited duration of 5 rounds/level and only enchants things to
    +1 for that time...

                          Why is this??

       Also,  If you are falling at a velocity of say 15m/sec and you
    teleport back to your castle are you going to be mashed into the
    floor??  If so & if you teleported so you "landed" up-side-down
    would you go flying up into the air??  If you were visiting a
    planet that was revolving faster then good old Greyhawlk and
    then teleported back would you go skipping along the ground at
    a few hundred km/hr?? What happens to the air that is displaced
    then you teleport in?? Would you make a small thunder-clap when
    you teleport away??

                                           Brad Harrington
                                     {ihnp4,sun,ucbvax}!dual!brad
                                {ihnp4,sun,ucbvax}!dual!vanguard!brad

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (06/04/85)

In article <1028@dual.UUCP> brad@dual.UUCP (Brad Harrington) writes:

>       Also,  If you are falling at a velocity of say 15m/sec and you
>    teleport back to your castle are you going to be mashed into the
>    floor??  If so & if you teleported so you "landed" up-side-down
>    would you go flying up into the air??  If you were visiting a
>    planet that was revolving faster then good old Greyhawlk and
>    then teleported back would you go skipping along the ground at
>    a few hundred km/hr?? What happens to the air that is displaced
>    then you teleport in?? Would you make a small thunder-clap when
>    you teleport away??

   Do what you want, and to blazes with the net.games.frp.physics'ers.  I rather
like the idea of penalizing (slightly) PCs who think they can easily avoid
the perils that you so lovingly set up; the least you can do is make them
teleport in upside down, for n points of damage, and have them make
saving throws for breakable items.  I wouldn't go so far as to defy the
laws of physics (?) so much that the PC goes shooting up into the air, or
skipping along *too* fast-- perhaps several bounces, and he/she can't sit
down for several days (travel by horse included).  And a small thunderclap
is a good idea, and may suitably impress the natives.

--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (06/07/85)

>        Also,  If you are falling at a velocity of say 15m/sec and you
>     teleport back to your castle are you going to be mashed into the
>     floor??  If so & if you teleported so you "landed" up-side-down
>     would you go flying up into the air??  If you were visiting a
>     planet that was revolving faster then good old Greyhawlk and
>     then teleported back would you go skipping along the ground at
>     a few hundred km/hr?? What happens to the air that is displaced
>     then you teleport in?? Would you make a small thunder-clap when
>     you teleport away??
>

>                                            Brad Harrington
>                                      {ihnp4,sun,ucbvax}!dual!brad
>                                 {ihnp4,sun,ucbvax}!dual!vanguard!brad

    This sounds very similar to past discussions I have heard concerning
the transporters on the Enterprise.  I would guess that any solutions in that
case would also be applicable to teleportation.

						Chris Andersen
						tektronix!azure!chrisa

dave@garfield.UUCP (David Janes) (06/08/85)

In article <1028@dual.UUCP> brad@dual.UUCP (Brad Harrington) writes:
|       Why do you always hear about magical artifacts and such being
|     made by elves?  The AD&D Players Handbook says that the maximum
|     level for an elven magic user is 11, well at 11th level you can
|     cast spells up to 5th level... "Enchant An Item" is a 6th level
|     spell..

	I think Gygax's reasoning on this subject is that Player
Characters are limited to these levels, but some super-exceptional NPC's
have been granted the ability by the ghods to progress to unlimited levels.
I believe there are a few dwarvish magic items to which present similar
problems. (actually, E.G.G.'s reasoning was probably "'cause I said so" :-)

|        Also,  If you are falling at a velocity of say 15m/sec and you
|     teleport back to your castle are you going to be mashed into the
|     floor??  If so & if you teleported so you "landed" up-side-down
|     would you go flying up into the air??  If you were visiting a
|     planet that was revolving faster then good old Greyhawlk and
|     then teleported back would you go skipping along the ground at
|     a few hundred km/hr?? What happens to the air that is displaced
|     then you teleport in?? Would you make a small thunder-clap when
|     you teleport away??

	Read Larry Niven's "The Theory and Practice of Teleportation"
in "All the Myriad of Ways" (I think.) Basically, the same type of
problem occurs when you teleport to different altitudes, or to the other
side of the earth (it is moving very fast in exactly the opposite
direction.) When you teleport somewhere, the air in that spot is teleported
back to where you teleported from (neat, hey?)

dave
--
The             UUCP: {utcsri,ihnp4,allegra,mcvax}!garfield!dave
Mercenary   INTERNET: dave@garfield.uucp

"There are two types of people in the world, those who divide
the people of the world into two types, and those who can't"

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (06/11/85)

In article <229@azure.UUCP> chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) writes:

>>        Also,  If you are falling at a velocity of say 15m/sec and you
>>     teleport back to your castle are you going to be mashed into the
>>     floor??  If so & if you teleported so you "landed" up-side-down
>>     would you go flying up into the air??  If you were visiting a
>>     planet that was revolving faster then good old Greyhawlk and
>>     then teleported back would you go skipping along the ground at
>>     a few hundred km/hr?? What happens to the air that is displaced
>>     then you teleport in?? Would you make a small thunder-clap when
>>     you teleport away??
>
>    This sounds very similar to past discussions I have heard concerning
>the transporters on the Enterprise.  I would guess that any solutions in that
>case would also be applicable to teleportation.

Larry  Niven  addressed  most  of  these  problems  in  his   stories   and
dissertations on transporter booths.  His solution to the intrinsic kinetic
energy problem was to electronically divert it elsewhere  (into  an  energy
sink)  -- not useful in a magical system.  He solved the problem of the air
by having the contents of  the  transporter  booth  go  with  you  (and  be
exchanged for the contents of the booth at the other end).

The DM I play with has the simplest answer to all these questions:

"It's magic, dammit!"

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                          "How goes the rat race?"
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                 "The rats are winning."
Santa Monica, CA  90405                               -- Paul Lynde
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

pop@bunkerb.UUCP (Paul Pederson) (06/13/85)

In article <1028@dual.UUCP> brad@dual.UUCP (Brad Harrington) writes:

>      Why do you always hear about magical artifacts and such being
>    made by elves?  The AD&D Players Handbook says that the maximum
>    level for an elven magic user is 11, well at 11th level you can
>    cast spells up to 5th level... "Enchant An Item" is a 6th level
>    spell..  There is a 4th level spell "Enchant Weapon" but this has
>    a limited duration of 5 rounds/level and only enchants things to
>    +1 for that time...
>
>                          Why is this??

I do believe it is also stated (either in DMG or Dragon) that level
restrictions are for player characters only.  NPCs may be of any class,
and level.  I'm not positive as to WHY NPCs have such freedom  -- possibly
to give the game more balance?

It seems that there is a big hang up about AD&D rules by several people
on the net.  Let it be said that any system which attempts to define a universe
(or a broad portion of it) will be full of inconsistancies.  You will
find it true in mathematic theory, justice systems, etc..  How can a rules
system which attempts to define the constraints of an alter-ego within
an imaginary universe be any different?

The only way to avoid the inconsistancies is to vastly limit the system,
not the rules which define the system.  Not only will a large system be
full of inconsistancies, but also full of paradoxes.  Neither the
inconsistancies nor the paradoxes invalidate the system.  For each
inconsistancy, there is an exception to the rule (again, think of
mathematics - imaginary numbers, mapping of fractions to a real number
system, etc.).

Therefore, any system which attempts to define the rules of system as
broad as 'constraints of an alter-ego in an imaginary universe' will
be full of inconsistancies.  Exceptions to the general rule is the only
way to patch up these inconsistancies.  If you believe that AD&D fails
as a game system because of these inconsistancies or exceptions to the
rule, then you must also believe that any other system which attempts
to define rules for the same will also fail.

-Paul Pederson
.

tihor@acf4.UUCP (Stephen Tihor) (06/16/85)

	The only way to avoid the inconsistancies is to vastly limit the
	system, not the rules which define the system.  Not only will a large
	system be full of inconsistancies, but also full of paradoxes.  Neither
	the inconsistancies nor the paradoxes invalidate the system.  For each
	inconsistancy, there is an exception to the rule (again, think of
	mathematics - imaginary numbers, mapping of fractions to a real number
	system, etc.).

There are certain limits on the power and consistency of any formal system but
they aren't really relevant to this discussion.   To the extent that a set of
rules is sparse and cleanly designed working froma small number of axioms they
can successfully model any consistent reality well enough for almost all
practical purposes.

FRP rules have a particular problem since many of the works of Fantasy which
one wishes to evoke with the game were not designed with internally consistent
physics that encompass magic and many of the ones which were are not mutually
consistent.  This doesn't mean that it can not be done.  I have written too
many rules and know too many game designers who have produced consistent
systems to believe that one can not model however much of reality you want.

The thing about D&D/AD&D is that it is clear that there is no single clear
set of principles to fuse (half Newtonian) physics, the Golden Bough, assorted
scrapings of Christianity, Errol Flynn, Tolkein, and Michael Moorcock into a
set of rules with the coherency of even the Hero System, Runes is Space,
or Lands of Adventure.

dac1@ukc.UUCP (D.Caldwell) (06/17/85)

In article <1028@dual.UUCP> brad@dual.UUCP (Brad Harrington) writes:

>      Why do you always hear about magical artifacts and such being
>    made by elves?  The AD&D Players Handbook says that the maximum
>    level for an elven magic user is 11, well at 11th level you can
>    cast spells up to 5th level... "Enchant An Item" is a 6th level
>    spell..  There is a 4th level spell "Enchant Weapon" but this has
>    a limited duration of 5 rounds/level and only enchants things to
>    +1 for that time...
>
>                          Why is this??

- Yet another inconsistency in the pathetic AD&D rules...

- David Caldwell,  Canterbury,  England.

wlb@rruxo.UUCP (B Boutin) (06/19/85)

Yes, the rules for player characters are different than non player
characters.  The AD&D rules state that maximum level and even class
restrictions are for Player Characters only.  Therefore, you can have
a 19th level Elf making whatever magic items he or she may want
or have the capability of making.  And to continue, Enchanting an Item
is only temporary unless you also throw a Permanancy on the item also.

Happy DMing

--
Bill Boutin, Bell Communications Research, Inc.,
444 Hoes Lane, Room 4D-336, Piscataway, NJ, 08854