[net.games.frp] How to be sane

don@umd5.UUCP (06/15/85)

In article <5247@ukc.UUCP> ncg@ukc.UUCP (Nige Gale) writes:

>Some of you must have played Call of Cthulhu.
>
>[...]
>So, I role-played, and looked the Beast in the eye, and emptied
>a revolver-full of blessed bullets at it, and came within a
>hair's-breadth of indefinate insanity for my pains.
>And all these namby-pamby professors whose first action when it
>appeared was to stick their head in the sand, they all got away
>scott free, sanity intact.
>It just isn't fair. TANJ

I have played CoC and I have a few comments to make:
1. How are the other players able to avert their gaze in time?
   Do they have ESP or were they forewarned?
2. If the professors know it's there, then they must have SOME
   idea of what IT is. Plus, the sounds and smells coming from
   IT (and possibly the gooey slime on the ground) might just be
   enough to cause sanity loss.
3. If these dodos are averting their eyes, they can't see very well.
   Right? That means they are better targets. Right? So what will
   the monster do? [Heh..heh]

--
--==---==---==--
"Space, the final frontier ..."

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

ncg@ukc.UUCP (N.C.Gale) (06/21/85)

Some of you must have played Call of Cthulhu.

Well, I like it so far.
I've read no Lovecroft, so I have absolutely no idea what's going on,
which is great. The idea of 'sanity points' is very good,

but

whenever the party meets a monster, the first action is that
everyone averts their eyes, so as to avoid going mad!
Aargh, not good - the opposite of what people would do in real
life. It shouldn't protect them from madness, anyway -
they know it's there, so just not looking at it strikes me
as a 'Peril-sensitive Sunglasses' approach.

So, I role-played, and looked the Beast in the eye, and emptied
a revolver-full of blessed bullets at it, and came within a
hair's-breadth of indefinate insanity for my pains.
And all these namby-pamby professors whose first action when it
appeared was to stick their head in the sand, they all got away
scott free, sanity intact.
It just isn't fair. TANJ

-Nige Gale

Now look what you made me do.