[net.games.frp] "Traveller" comments or !!!

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (07/09/85)

In article <608@umd5.UUCP> don@umd5.UUCP (Don Preuss) writes:
>In article <84500001@hpcnoa.UUCP> dat@hpcnoa.UUCP (dat) writes:
>>	What I am interested in is hearing from anyone on the
>>net who has anything to say about the game (preferably favourable!)
>>and especially being able to get help on setting up scenarios
>>and hints and tips for playing and DM'ing (although in this
>>game I notice it's called 'Refereeing').

I think Traveller is the best RPG ( well at least it is my favorite game,
let's not get into an argument as to which game is best PLEASE.) I have heavly
modified the game system and have around 1000-5000 pages (if typewritten) of
asorted other stuff.  Right now I have two campaines going on in the Solomani
Rim and about 25 on hold in the spinward marches/vanguard reaches/beyond
sectors.  I've run games with as few as one player and as many as 25.

remember,  the Empire is not as nice as most player's believe it to be,  they
do have a bureau of state security...   ...can you say that in Russian? sure
you can.  Now can you say the initials?  KGB.

Think about it.

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...

don@umd5.UUCP (07/21/85)

In article <770@umn-cs.UUCP> goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) writes:
>I think Traveller is the best RPG ( well at least it is my favorite game,
>let's not get into an argument as to which game is best PLEASE.) I have heavly
>modified the game system and have around 1000-5000 pages (if typewritten) of
>asorted other stuff.  Right now I have two campaines going on in the Solomani
>Rim and about 25 on hold in the spinward marches/vanguard reaches/beyond
>sectors.  I've run games with as few as one player and as many as 25.
>Remember,  the Empire is not as nice as most player's believe it to be,  they
>do have a bureau of state security...   ...can you say that in Russian? sure
>you can.  Now can you say the initials?  KGB.

This may be wishful thinking, of course.. but -
Is there any interest in a Traveller Pbm game? There was (supposedly)
an AD&D Pbm game, but it died out... Comments anyone?

--
--==---==---==--

___________      _____ ---- _____
       \        //---- IDIC -----
       _\______//_     ----
        ----------

  ARPA: don@umd5.ARPA   BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo,rlgvax,allegra,brl-bmd,nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Swamp Thing) (07/24/85)

In article <674@umd5.UUCP> don@umd5.UUCP (Don Preuss) writes:
>Is there any interest in a Traveller Pbm game? There was (supposedly)
>an AD&D Pbm game, but it died out... Comments anyone?

In about 12 months, you might even be finished rolling up the characters.[:-)]

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd

db@cstvax.UUCP (Dave Berry) (07/29/85)

In article <770@umn-cs.UUCP> goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) writes:
>I think Traveller is the best RPG. I have heavily
>modified the game system and have around 1000-5000 pages (if typewritten) of
>assorted other stuff.
Do you have any particularly juicy suggestions to pass on to the rest of us?
Or even any stuff on-line?

>remember,  the Empire is not as nice as most player's believe it to be,  they
>do have a bureau of state security...   ...can you say that in Russian? sure
>you can.  Now can you say the initials?  KGB.
>Think about it.

All governments have a BOSS equivalent.
In Britain, it's the Special Branch, or MI5/6.  In the USA, I assume its the
FBI/CIA.  In South Africa, I think it really is called BOSS ....
You don't have to play the Imperium as malevolent.  You can have a hell of
a lot of fun, both GM & players, if you play it as extremely bureaucratic.
Just make all Imperium NPCs (other than soldiers etc) very officious,
mildly pompous, and sticklers for correct papers. Required papers should be
many & varied, and needlessly confusing!
--
	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!{hwcs,kcl-cs}!cstvax!db