[net.games.frp] Hit points and healing

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (07/28/85)

>ALSO, not on the same subject, how do other players and gm's play
>zero hit points?  we've been playing a variant (aren't we all)...
>
>avsds:steve

In our variant, 0 hp is unconsciousness.  A character is truly
dead at minus his/her constitution.  The character loses 1 hp per
round from bleeding (if the wounds are the sort that would bleed,
of course).  If he/she is healed before reaching minus 1/2 constitution,
then there are no lasting effects, and no rest is required.  If
the character is at minus 1/2 constitution or more
when healed, he/she must make a system shock role to see if he/she
is dead or the healing will "take".  Then each day there is another
system shock role to see if the character will come out of the coma
induced by being so mortally wounded.  The character is certainly
going to have to rest 1 day, even if the first two rolls are made.
Walking is possible, but not fighting or spell casting.

On another subject, but along the lines of variants--we have been
using a modification of the "cure light wounds" spell that seems
to work well and is logical.  A cleric still rolls 1d8 for the points,
but it is assumed that the higher level cleric is able to heal "better".
The roll is adjusted up to the cleric's level if below.  Thus my 5th
level cleric always heals for at least 5--but may do more with a lucky roll.

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (07/29/85)

In article <3392@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>	In our variant, 0 hp is unconsciousness.  A character is truly dead at
>	minus his/her constitution.

	Similar system here, but a character may be "Heroic".  Roll 3d6, if
	roll is less than or equal to remaining CON, they remain conscious and
	may take any action.

>	... A cleric still rolls 1d8 for the points, ... (but) my 5th level
>	cleric always heals for at least 5 --but may do more with a lucky roll.

	Good idea!  Motion carried!
--
	Dr. Bob
	High Priest, Reformed Church of Smithing the Heretic

UUCP	..!{ihnp4,cbosgd,seismo}!plus5!bob

BHY@psuvm.BITNET (08/01/85)

One problem I can see with this system is it allows a 2nd level cleric who has
never had to throw a CLW while at first level to heal better than a 1st level
who has thrown 50 CLW's.
In my world, I let players keep track of how many times they throw a spell.
After a cleric has thrown 100 CLW's he becomes +1 at that spell (2-9hp).  After
1000 CLW's, +2.  This reflects that there's only so much to learn about how to
throw a CLW.  I allow this system to apply to all spells, i.e. a mage can get
"better" at throwing MMs.
                                  Jim Foster
                                  bhy@psuvm.bitnet