[net.games.frp] Unearthed Arcana & Weapon Specializ

holt@convexs.UUCP (08/07/85)

Rather than eliminate double specialization, why not substitute specialization
for a weapon proficiency gained as a result of level advancement (if the
proper training is paid for, and time is spent in training, etc).
Allow no specialization for the weapons a 1st level fighter starts out with,
and you have reduced the play balance problem, while adding the possibility
that advanced fighters may choose to specialize in certain weapons.

Comments?
			Dave Holt
			Convex Computer Corp.
			{allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!convexs!holt

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/17/85)

In article <15300004@convexs> holt@convexs.UUCP writes:

>Rather than eliminate double specialization, why not substitute specialization
>for a weapon proficiency gained as a result of level advancement

In general, I like this idea.  The problem is that for most systems, 90% of
the time it doesn't matter what kind of weapon you are wielding.  This
greatly reduces the effectiveness of picking a second weapon in favor of
a 5% bonus in your first weapon.  Certainly after two weapons the utility is
next to nothing.  I'm not a min-maxer, but I don't expect players to choose
obviously poor playing strategies, either.

Anyone know of a system that makes knowing multiple weapons useful (apart
from knowing a missile weapon along with a hand weapon, that is)?

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud