[net.games.frp] weapons specializations

mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) (08/12/85)

	While I do go by realistic standards, our campaigns are
basically hack and slash.   We enjoy being more powerful than
our enemies- and we still run into more than enough trouble.  Our
solution is to run our characters through dungeons of at least
2 to 4 levels above our own! (Or higher).

	Just keep in mind that the first level guy has on the
average 5 hp.  One chop and he's a gonner so he better have some
clout!  This is not an imbalance to the cleric or the 2hp mage
either buddy, just look at the previous discussion regarding the
command spell.

		Moshe Eliovson
		{allegra, ihnp4}!we53!busch!mte

ps - bows are awesome and should be that way.  Read Glen Cook's
     Dread Empire Series and it's predecessors a two book series
     concerning a disciple called El Murid (second book is entitled
     With Mercy Towards None).  The Itaskian bowmen take down
     complete armies unscathed themselves.  Also, note the scene in
     the first Donaldson book where the two bowmen were depended upon
     to make sure death shots, not so easy in AD&D.

mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) (08/18/85)

> >                             We enjoy being more powerful than
> > our enemies- and we still run into more than enough trouble.
>
> Before you get too carried away with your new found power, remember
> that your "enemies" can, and should, gain the same powers. This new
> rule will not help you be more powerful than them.

I see your point but disagree partially.   Certainly with certain figures
(I'm thinking specifically of the slave lords if you've played that campaign
and most tournament modules), but realize that the majority of allkind
in your playing world will be most mundane like us computer jocks.
So even though I may have an interest in the martial arts I certainly
would not want to face a 1st level fighter.  The same goes for the
village blacksmith who doubles as law enforcer for the town of Iskatel.
He may have an 18/xx strength, wield a hammer with 4 proficiencies,
but he still is not a trained fighter pc.

> Sure, bows should be powerful, but I don't think you'll convince
> me that one arrow should do more damage than a charging lance attack.
> I think that +2/+2 is reasonable, and as I said before, 3-8 pts will
> usually kill a 0-level and often kill a 1st level type as well.
>
> --
>
>                            Bruce Gamble  -  abgamble@water.UUCP

I think the best bow makeup was in the article about the npc Archer or
Archer-Ranger.  You can find this in one of the Best of Dragon issues.
At the highest level, Archer Grandmaster or something, you get about
+15/+15 at close range (then your elven bonus, bow bonus, arrow bonus,
cleric bonus, spell bonus, etc. makes it possible for spectacular shots
on occasion like in Donaldson's book).

I may have the +/+ figure wrong so don't flame.

req@warwick.UUCP (Russell Quin) (08/22/85)

In article <770@water.UUCP> abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) writes:
>> [...]
>> ps - bows are awesome and should be that way.
>[...]
>Sure, bows should be powerful, but I don't think you'll convince
>me that one arrow should do more damage than a charging lance attack.
>I think that +2/+2 is reasonable, and as I said before, 3-8 pts will
>usually kill a 0-level and often kill a 1st level type as well.

Of course, Harold, it is said, was killed by a single arrow which pierced his
eye.  But what level would you say *he* was?  20?  So an arrow must be able to
do 150+ points of damage? !?
No, of course not.  This merely points out the discrepancy between HP and
Combat Prowess.  Even some of my favourite RPGs suffer from over-using Hit
Points, although Rolemaster gets round it to some extent by having a table of
results which are Not dependent on the target's level (the so-called "critical"
tables).
I think that you can never do more than compromise badly when your original
model is inadequate.  This seems to be the case foe AD&D & others.
If you want to have 'realistic' combat, then consider separating out Endurance,
Ability-To-Withstand-Damage, Ability-To-Avoid-Being-Hit &c &c...
But beware of losing the speed & simplicity that a *game* requires.
		- Russell
[have you ever tried editing when the screen background displays fractals?]
model is inadequate.  This seems to be the case foe AD&D & others.
If you want to have 'realistic' combat, then consider separating out Endurance,
Ability-To-Withstand-Damage, Ability-To-Avoid-Being-Hit &c &c...
But beware of losing the speed & simplicity that a *game* requires.
		- Russell
[have you ever tried editing when the screen background displays fractals?]
--
		... mcvax!ukc!warwick!req  (req@warwick.UUCP)
"If no small boy smeared with honey can be found, it may be necessary to take