[net.games.frp] Violence and the arts

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/18/85)

An interesting article (from AP) discusses Dr. Thomas Radecki's study
of violence in television, and, incidentally, other places. Some examples
of his concerns:

"Sports - 'The research is clear that sports violence leads to increases
in anger and agression in normal viewers.  This past weekend's boxing
feast is likely to have caused several dozen homicides across our country
and reinforced to millions of viewers that violence is acceptable behavior.'"

"Toys - 'The increase in violent toys is just incredible.  The cartoon and
violent toy studies show that these materials cause children to hit, kick,
choke, push, and hold down other children. ...'"

"Cartoons - 'I was surprised by the large amount of violence found on the
Disney Channel.  Donald Duck's fights with his unruly nephews, Casey Jones
beating up train robbers, and Mickey Mouse fighting with a mother eagle
for eggs were considered inappropriate.'"

"Games - 'There is no doubt in my mind that the game Dungeons and Dragons
is causing young men to kill themselves and others.  This game is one of
non-stop combat and violence.'"

"Movies - '"The Deerhunter" kills approximately one viewer for every
2-3 million who watch it', because of the Russian roulette scenes ..."

"Tickling - 'Even tickling can be violent.  Sadly, our culture doesn't
teach people to be sensitive to the feelings of others.  Tickling can
be quite painful.'"

Personally, I think this guy has revealed more about his own problems
than those of the nation, but that's just my opinion.  So, remember,
parents, the next time you let your kids tickle each other, you may
be contributing to the development of an ax murderer.

I wonder if Radecki could come up with a single case where he can demonstrate
that D & D contributed to a killing or suicide?
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

mjcarmody@watmath.UUCP (Mike Carmody) (08/21/85)

In article <6601@ucla-cs.ARPA> reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>An interesting article (from AP) discusses Dr. Thomas Radecki's study
>of violence in television, and, incidentally, other places. Some examples
>of his concerns:
>"Games - 'There is no doubt in my mind that the game Dungeons and Dragons
>is causing young men to kill themselves and others.  This game is one of
>non-stop combat and violence.'"
>
>"Tickling - 'Even tickling can be violent.  Sadly, our culture doesn't
>teach people to be sensitive to the feelings of others.  Tickling can
>be quite painful.'"
>
>Personally, I think this guy has revealed more about his own problems
>than those of the nation, but that's just my opinion.  So, remember,
>parents, the next time you let your kids tickle each other, you may
>be contributing to the development of an ax murderer.
>
>I wonder if Radecki could come up with a single case where he can demonstrate
>that D & D contributed to a killing or suicide?
>--
>        			Peter Reiher
>				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
>        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

I don't really want to **FLAME** here but this is the newsgroup that
could most appreciate it.  I agree with Reiher, but I wonder if his
point could have been stressed more.  This kind of report reeks of
suppression of fun and propagation of machine-men (cf. Moral Majority),
I'm sure none of the readers need to hear that D&D (or any FRP) creates
homicidal maniacs.  Also, if we killed ourselves en mass (which
Radecki claims) I'm sure this news group would not have so much
traffic.  D&D is just plain fun escapism!!!!  I wonder if
Radecki has ever played or if he just a paranoid.  By the way, I like
being tickled!

                         Sincerly,
                           Barry Rosetti
                           {??}!watdcsu!watmath!mjcarmody

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (08/21/85)

[...]

I know at least one teacher who actively encourages her high school
students to play role-playing games.  Instead of competing with other
people, the students learn to co-operate with each other to achieve
some goal...which sounds pretty corny, but we've all seen it happen.
In addition, you learn to co-operate, or you're out.  In sports, the
hot-shot players can be pretty obnoxious and still be kept on the team
because they're good.  In role-playing games, the GM and the group won't
put up with dorks for very long, regardless of their knowledge of the
rules, success in killing, etc.

Of course, I won't even mention the value that role-playing games
place on creativity and invention, the way they can stimulate
imagination, and so on.  Why do so many people see the content of
RPGs and never notice the spirit?

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) (08/22/85)

   I noticed on CNN last night a report (from S. Carolina I think) about
a youngster who had committed suicide. Aparently he played D&D at
school quite a bit, so of course everyone has decided that D&D is to
blame for his death. A group of parents is now trying to have D&D banned
from the school. Unfortunately, I don't think this kind of reactionism
is all that uncommon. Give the principal of the school credit though,
as he has been supporting the game all the way.
--

                           Bruce Gamble  -  abgamble@water.UUCP

ekblaw@uiucdcsp.Uiuc.ARPA (08/23/85)

Unfortunately, there is evidence of D&D causing deaths.  These deaths are
not usually homicides or suicides, however.  Several teens have been injured
or died by role-playing to the extreme - acting out adventures in made-up
dungeons.  The problems are usually those of suffocation or pneumonia due to
spending too much time in tunnels, caves, or other "dungeons".  However, your
point of refuting the Doctor's statement is very sound.  There is no evidence
that I know of where a D&D player has gone out and murdered people on the
premise that he/she "learned violence from the game."  Indeed, the percentage
of D&D players who are criminals AT ALL is much below the average of other
games; especially sports.  Perhaps the level of intelligence needed to
adequately play the game (to understand strategies, find traps, etc.) is high
enough that the players realize the difference between reality and fantasy, or
maybe we (the D&D players) are simply too smart to get involved in illegal
activity.  Whatever the reason, I have to agree; the doctor is a quack.

Robert A. Ekblaw, ekblaw@uiucdcs.

"Preserving the mental, emotional, and social health of people everywhere, even
if I have to batter them silly to do it."

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (08/23/85)

In article <790@water.UUCP> abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) writes:

>   I noticed on CNN last night a report (from S. Carolina I think) about
>a youngster who had committed suicide. Aparently he played D&D at
>school quite a bit, so of course everyone has decided that D&D is to
>blame for his death. A group of parents is now trying to have D&D banned
>from the school. Unfortunately, I don't think this kind of reactionism
>is all that uncommon. Give the principal of the school credit though,
>as he has been supporting the game all the way.
>--

I hate to admit it, since I live in this state, but the incident
in question was in New Jersey, up here in the 'liberal' Northeast.
It was reported in the NYTimes earlier in the week.  At the school
board meeting of the week, some fundamentalist minister dumped on the
game.  A local bookstore owner brought up the fact that millions of
D&D sets have been sold, and that we gamers are not rushing out to
kill ourselves or anyone else en masse.  The Times was also good
enough to print the fact that the boy in question had been in trouble
with drugs earlier, and several of his acquaintances were quoted as
saying "No, it wasn't D & D, he was a druggie."

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the Dark."

dave@gitpyr.UUCP (David Corbin) (08/26/85)

In article <6601@ucla-cs.ARPA>, reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
> An interesting article (from AP) discusses Dr. Thomas Radecki's study
> of violence in television, and, incidentally, other places. Some examples
> of his concerns:

> "Games - 'There is no doubt in my mind that the game Dungeons and Dragons
> is causing young men to kill themselves and others.  This game is one of
> non-stop combat and violence.'"

> --
>         			Peter Reiher
> 				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
>         			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

OBVIOUSLY, Dr. Radecki has never seen a GOOD (my opinion) campaign.
Non-stop combat and violence. HUMPH!

--
David Corbin
Georgia Institute of Technology