[net.games.frp] What is invisibility/teleportation?

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (10/02/85)

In article <57@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>The question is:  Can you read a scroll while invisible?
>I would have said no--but figured it was worth a try.  I argued
>that if you could not see your personal effects, it would make it
>difficult to wield a weapon, climb, etc. and you should be at
>minuses while invisible--which you are not.  Our DM bought that,
>and ruled it ok.
     Here we are back at defining what it is that actually happens
when you go invisible.  It's futile to try to define exactly what
the effects are if the *effects* are supernatural; the best one
can do is define the effects naturally and assume that the agency
is supernatural.  Here are my two best approximations.
     The "illusion" approach:  the other characters simply act as
if they were hypnotized and told that you and your personal effects
were not there, and they act accordingly.  (When someone is
hypnotized and told that that chair in the middle of the room is
not there, and then asked to walk across the room, he just calmly
goes around the chair.)  Any actual contact with the "invisible"
character breaks the spell, though.  This would be a good inter-
pretation of the illusionist version of the spell.
     The "physical" approach: you and your effects are made
transparent to visible light, although you still reflect and emit
infrared light.  You therefore disappear to all those not using
infravision, and you perceive things as if you were using infra-
vision.  Note that this is somewhat similar to Tolkien's descrip-
tion of perception when wearing the Ring.
     By the first definition, you should have no problem reading
the scroll.  By the second, you should only be able to read the
scroll if it has been inscribed with heat-emitting or -reflecting
ink.

>As it turned out, I wish she had not--the teleport was low, and
>Daedin ended up entombed in solid rock, along with a lot of the
>party's magic which he was carrying.  It was too bad, he was a
>lot of fun--LE sadistic alcoholic that he was.
>The other two did finish off the lich.  They also spent a lot of
>time looking for Daedin.  "Wonder where the little jerk went?"
>"No idea, he just disappeared--maybe went for a drink?"
     Try this "physical" definition of teleportation on for
size:  the object is slipped off 3-space at point A, and taken
through 4-space to point B, which has been brought close to A
by warping 3-space.  The caster uses his own strength to push
aside any obstacles (air, water, rock, etc.) at B, and if he
isn't strong enough, the object is left permanently in 4-space.
Alternatively, the object could just return to point A, or it
could be "slid along" the surface of 3-space to the nearest point
which offered no resistance; these could be defined as more
complex versions of the same spell.
     Note that as far as 4-space goes, nothing is "enclosed" in
anything else (think of the 2-dimensional analogy), so there's a
chance that during the trip one's backpack contents could end up
outside the backpack, vial contents outside the vial, clothes no
longer surrounding the body, etc.  If you want to give the chance
of a penalty to players using teleport, I think this is it.

--Jamie.
  ...!ihpn4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"Autumn, to me the most congenial of seasons;
  the university, to me the most congenial of lives." --R.Davies

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (10/04/85)

In article <34@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>In article <57@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>>The question is:  Can you read a scroll while invisible?
>>I would have said no--but figured it was worth a try.  I argued
>>that if you could not see your personal effects, it would make it
>>difficult to wield a weapon, climb, etc. and you should be at
>>minuses while invisible--which you are not.  Our DM bought that,
>>and ruled it ok.
>     Here we are back at defining what it is that actually happens
>when you go invisible.

I don't know it that is really necessary.  The spell description indicates
that any offensive act cancels the invisibility.  I have seen campaigns
where any spellcasting was considered the equivalent of an offensive act.

Also, the spell description avoids the issue of whether or not the invisoid
can see itself, but discussion in Sage Advice in Dragon tm Magazine has
indicated that the invisible creature CAN see itself, but cannot cast spells.

On the other hand, they've contradicted themselves any number of times by
indicating that clerics, at least, can do so.

Hutch