[net.games.frp] Adventure stories

pop@bunkerb.UUCP (Paul Pederson) (10/02/85)

* Is the line eater still around? *

"And now for something completely different....."

Every now and then someone comes onto net.games.FRP and suggests that people
share their adventure stories/experiences.  It usually doesn't last very
long, because other people on the net seem to start complaining about the
heavy burden such elaborate stories and messages put onto the net.

I personally like to see these stories/experiences.  Some in the past have
been very entertaining and informative (re: a few which came over the net
last spring, but I cannot remember the article names or the posters).

In order to stimulate the creation and sharing of these articles once again, I
have 2 proposals to make: 1) Write your story/experience and broadcast it over
net.games.FRP and send all flames from people complaining about loading the
net into /dev/null, or 2) start a seperate group which uses mail to send
the stories/experiences to anyone who is interested in belonging to such a
group.

Idea 2 would require an "administrator" of the group, who would maintain a
mailing list of all interested persons, collect submissions, and then send
them to each name on the list via e-mail.  Idea 1 is perhaps a bit
inconsiderate, but isn't any more silly than ideas and length of postings
which have come over net.flame lately.

How 'bout it?  If you are at all interested, PLEASE let your idea be heard
in this newsgroup.

-Paul Pederson

disclaimer: I don't think that Bunker Ramo holds all of the same above views
or opinions, but it would be nice, and if you think they do, have I got a
bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you!

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/03/85)

I don't play FRP games (gasp), but I do read this group, and I LOVE hearing
adventure stories, especially funny ones.

--

-  Sean Casey                           UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics                   {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (10/04/85)

[...]

I second the call for adventure stories, and would even volunteer
to be an Adventure Broker (if I can figure out all the intricacies
of mailing things out to people).  As a GM, I find that adventures
from other people spark ideas for my own campaigns...sometimes out
and out theft, sometimes just starting a train of thought that leads
to something entirely different.  A friend and I often toss around
ideas for campaigns we'll never run to get inspiration for adventures
that will actually be put together.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (10/04/85)

In article <561@bunkerb.UUCP> pop@bunkerb.UUCP (Paul Pederson) writes:
>* Is the line eater still around? *
>
>"And now for something completely different....."
>
>Every now and then someone comes onto net.games.FRP and suggests that people
>share their adventure stories/experiences.  It usually doesn't last very
>long, because other people on the net seem to start complaining about the
>heavy burden such elaborate stories and messages put onto the net.
>
>I personally like to see these stories/experiences.  ...
>
>In order to stimulate the creation and sharing of these articles once again, I
>have 2 proposals to make: 1) Write your story/experience and broadcast it over
>net.games.FRP and send all flames from people complaining about loading the
>net into /dev/null, or 2) start a seperate group which uses mail to send
>the stories/experiences to anyone who is interested in belonging to such a
>group.
>
>Idea 2 would require an "administrator" of the group ...

There IS an FRP mailing list.  It used to be moderated by Chuqui the Plaid
but due to the silly requirements at NSC that you work for a living, he
had to give it up.  The current moderator, and his address, were posted
in the latest "net.announce.newusers" postings about mailing lists.

I strongly suggest that y'all re-subscribe to that group and read the
stuff in it, at least once in a while.  It really is worthwhile even
though it is all "old hat".

Hutch

dave@gitpyr.UUCP (David Corbin) (10/07/85)

I say YES, for adventrue stories. They DO provide good ideas for campaigns,
and are certainly entertaining. I would, however, vote against posting to
this newsgroup. It would be easier to keep track of them, and save them, and
avoid missing them, etc., if they aren't scattered about.

--
David Corbin
Georgia Institute of Technology