[net.games.frp] Gaseous Form

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (10/15/85)

Here're some interesting speculations for the net:

If a character/creature is in "gaseous form", does he/she/it
give off an odor?  If so, what happens to any portion of said
character that is inhaled?  It seems to me that in order to
smell a gas, it must be inhaled.

Or since someone in gaseous form has some control over the body
(the character must at least be able to "stay together"), could
he/she/it prevent being "inhaled" by another?

Gruesome as it is, the next question is what if a character, in
a supreme sacrifice, invades the lungs of a powerful enemy just
before the spell/potion/scroll wears off?  KABLOOEY?

Awaiting your thoughts...

			"That green-blooded son-of-a-bitch.  It's
			 his way of getting back at me for all
 			 those arguments he lost."

				Scott J. Berry
				ihnp4!hou2g!scott

mccolm@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/22/85)

In article <676@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) writes:

>If a character/creature is in "gaseous form", does he/she/it
>give off an odor?

Depends.  When's the last time they bathed?

>If so, what happens to any portion of said character that is inhaled?

I thought someone would get around to this.  Gaseous form is so nasty, and
if the rules are stretched, it can be a very unpleasant way to die.  And think
on this:  what if a vampire goes gaseous in the room with you?  What a
stink!  This guy's insides have been heavy-duty ickies for years!

>Or since someone in gaseous form has some control over the body
>(the character must at least be able to "stay together"), could
>he/she/it prevent being "inhaled" by another?

I see no reason to think this is necessary or justified; see below.

>Gruesome as it is, the next question is what if a character, in
>a supreme sacrifice, invades the lungs of a powerful enemy just
>before the spell/potion/scroll wears off?  KABLOOEY?

Two choices:  Teleport-style crocks or failsafes.

1)  Teleport-style crocks.  Can you "die" by being dissipated over too wide
    an area, or do you just find yourself unable to re-integrate?  What if
    you reform while blowing on a breeze through a tree?  Ingrown leaves and
    twigs, and maybe trunks?  If you're in a hurricane, can you come out
    rearranged, asymmetric, or left-handed?  If inhaled by someone just before
    reforming, is there a dull crump and a strangled sound(s)?  What if you're
    currently floating through a series of ===>tiny slots<=== somewhere?
    Would you live through it?  Would you want to?  This "deform-reform"
    scenario is fraught with at least the hazards of the transporters in the
    first "Star Trek" movie.  Wizards made this up for their own use?
    Remember, we're talking about people with high intelligence, here.

2)  Failsafes.  Nothing can go wrong.  Hahahahahaha.  Well, it's difficult
    for something to go wrong by accident.  Of course, if the user is stupid,
    they're on their own.  Things going wrong on purpose is frightening.
    And if the time expires, and there isn't room to reform, you can't.
    You stay there (or follow the air flow) or get ejected somewhere where
    there's room, or whatever.  So the way to trap the magician is to inhale
    the gaseous form and exhale into a bottle.  Instant Genie!  Well, sort of.

    I'd also add the rule that you can't be killed, or kill anyone, by being
    inhaled while in gaseous form.  Makes everything so much simpler.

What happens if you force a ghost, say, into gaseous form?  Do they notice?
--fini--

Eric McColm
UCLA (oo' - kluh) Funny Farm for the Criminally Harmless
UUCP:  ...!{ihnp4,trwspp,cepu,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!mccolm
ARPA:  mccolm@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
Quotes on the Nature of Existence:
   "To be, or not to be..."    -Hamlet  (Wm. Shakespeare)
   "I think, therefore I am."  -R. Descartes
   "<Gleep!>"                  -Gleep   (Robt. Asprin)