[net.games.frp] Star Trek - The Role Playing Game

flynn@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC429) (10/04/85)

Does anybody out there in net.land have any scenarios for "Star Trek - the role playing game that they could publish for the benefit of lazy plebs like myself.
FRPG magazines have shown that this can be done practically on a side or two of
A4 and its about time that this newsgroup was more than just a talking-point.
	Incidentally , do any American net-users know whether fasa published
more than two editions of the magazine 'Stardate'..? Nobody in this country
seems to have had anything but issue two.
			Thanks

Anthony Flynn

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jonathan D.) (10/08/85)

	Well, I have the double issues of Stardate 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and
the single issue 7.  After issue 7, the magazine changed from being a
FASA owned-and-operated publication into a 'third-party' magazine.
I believe it is published by the same people who put out The Space
Gamer.  I have glanced at issue 8, and from what I've seen, it contains
more fiction than actual gaming material.  I guess the publishers don't
want their Space Gamer readers to shift over to Stardate.  I'll find
out the address of The Space Gamer publishers, if you like.
--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
				   arpa: trudel@blue.rutgers.edu.arpa

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (10/09/85)

> 	Well, I have the double issues of Stardate 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and
> the single issue 7.  After issue 7, the magazine changed from being a
> FASA owned-and-operated publication into a 'third-party' magazine.
> I believe it is published by the same people who put out The Space
> Gamer.  I have glanced at issue 8, and from what I've seen, it contains
> more fiction than actual gaming material.  I guess the publishers don't
> want their Space Gamer readers to shift over to Stardate.  I'll find
> out the address of The Space Gamer publishers, if you like.

The Space Gamer is no longer being published as a separate
entity as it has been taken over by Diverse Talents, Inc., a
southern California group who is also publishing Fire & Movement.
(I believe they may also have some connection with Origins '86
which is going to be held in the LA Hilton.)  The people that used
to put out The Space Gamer, Steve Jackson Games, will continue to
publish Autoduel Quarterly (Car Wars magazine) as well as a 6-8
page spread consisting of Space Gamer-like material to be
published in The VIP of Gaming, also put out by DTI.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!ccrrick)

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/10/85)

In article <615@west44.kcl-cs.UUCP> flynn@kcl-cs.UUCP writes:
>Does anybody out there in net.land have any scenarios for "Star Trek - the role playing game that they could publish for the benefit of lazy plebs like myself.
>FRPG magazines have shown that this can be done practically on a side or two of
>A4 and its about time that this newsgroup was more than just a talking-point.
>	Incidentally , do any American net-users know whether fasa published
>more than two editions of the magazine 'Stardate'..? Nobody in this country
>seems to have had anything but issue two.
>			Thanks
>Anthony Flynn

I too would like to see some ST-RPG activity in this group but I'm too much
of a beginner to help you with scenario creation.  'Stardate' magazine was
available here at regular intervals for about 4 issues, maybe 5, and has not
been seen again for about 6 months now, at least at my usual store.  Toronto
is well supplied with sf magazine and gaming outlets.  I visited the
Change of Hobbit store in Santa Monica, LA, on my August holiday and did not
see any issues of 'Stardate' there either.
sb

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/15/85)

How to write a STAR TREK-THE ROLE PLAYING GAME scenario:

	Do the same thing that they did to write many episodes. Go down to a
used book store and buy any reasonably obscure SF novel from the '50s or early
'60s. Read the book & take notes. Change the names. Give credit to the
author if you're going to publish.

	If you have a good library, go look up back issues of SF magazines from
the same period. If you don't mind a slightly more modern feel, go to your
bookshelf & pick through some of your older issues of Analog.

	Go easy on the sex scenes if the story was written after Stranger in a
Strange Land.

	This is also a good way to write RINGWORLD scenarios, except you can
leave the dirty bits in.

> ... buy any reasonably obscure SF novel from the '50s or early
> '60s. Read the book & take notes. Change the names. Give credit to the
> author if you're going to publish.

And if you're going to publish something in the Star Trek universe,
check out the legalities.  Perhaps the RPG side of things follows
different rules from the books, but here's the situation for writing
Star Trek books:  you can't.  You cannot use the trademarked characters
without approval from the trademark owners, and they won't even look
at your manuscript before they tell you "no".  The Star Trek books are
written by prearrangement only, and if you don't have an SF or movie/TV
track record, they won't talk to you.  These rules probably don't carry
over too literally to ST-TRPG, but check before you invest lots of time.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (10/24/85)

To would-be authors:
	Just to give you an idea of what you're looking at, a friend of
mine wrote a module for FASA (publishers of ST: The RPG), and got paid
about $700 for the rights.  This isn't bad for a module.
	Of course, first you need to write a module....
--
Rick Keir -- right next to the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick