[net.games.frp] unusual weapons

rcb@rti-sel.UUCP (Random) (10/11/85)

In article <7017@ucla-cs.ARPA> mccolm@ucla-cs.UUCP (Eric McColm) writes:

>On a related topic, I agree that the "guaranteed damage" based on strength
>and magic item bonuses is silly.  One character from the grisly past was so
>strong that he decided to fight with a two-handed canoe!  It was just the
>right size for his damage bonus, and was a nice, long weapon.  Bleah!

Probably everyone has one of those stories on bizzare weapons forms. In a
campaign I was in, the party was up against some shadows that could only be
hit by magic weapons. Another character who was the biggest, strongest
fighter in the party (the 'brick') didn't have a magic weapon and couldn't
do anything. He then had the brilliant idea of putting his magic gauntlet
on the end of a dragon bone, instant magic club (he had proficiency in club).

The DM, after much dodging and whining, agreed that this could hit the shadows
but with no magic pluses.

Any other unusual weapons stories out there???

--
					Random
					Research Triangle Institute

israel@qantel.UUCP ( Renegade@ex2564) (10/14/85)

   I have a chaotic neutral thief with a decanter of endless water. He
likes to attack vampires with it by turning on geyser mode and simply
washing them away (vampires lose 1/3 of their total hit points per round
when immersed in running water). On occasion, he also has the party mage
cast levitation spells on him, then uses the decanter as a 'water jet'
engine for some fast traveling.

  I've also heard of a chaotic evil assassin who likes to sneak up on
sleeping victims, jam a wand of wonder up their ass, and just watch
what happens. (I understand that one time it summoned a rhino - that would've
been something to see.)
--
Renegade of Berkeley
MDS Qantel			or	Renegade Systems

Disclaimer: "Who, me? I wasn't even there!"

jrrt@mtuxo.UUCP (r.mitchell) (10/14/85)

I once ran a Druid who, although quite impressive in the Wisdom and
Charisma department, had the Strength and Dexterity of an underfed
squirrel.  His weapon of choice was a scimitar, but he wasn't very
good at it.

Anyway, the party was deep in a dungeon fighting slithering lurkers
(or were they lurking slitherers?  I forget).  Laurel (the Druid)
has used up all his spells, and was in the front lines becuase some
of the cannon fodder Fighters had bitten the big ones.  Suddenly,
from behind a door in the back of the room, came the god-awful
powerful MU that we had been sent after.  Said MU starts mumbling.
Knowing that he was soon to die anyway, in a last great act of
defiance, Laurel *throws* his scimitar across the room at the MU,
30' away.  The DM generously gives me a 5% chance to hit the MU.
Wonder of wonders, Laurel rolls a 20, and even gets a critical hit
(under the local system)!  Result, one dead MU, the monsters fail
their morale check, and we carry the day.

A week or so later, in similar circumstances, Laurel again tosses
his scimitar at a target quite far away, and again rolls a 20, and
again gets a critical hit that kills the target.

The DM took it all in stride, and from that day on declared that I
had a proficiency in "Scimitar, Thrown."  Laurel kept looking for a
+3 Scimitar that would return to his hand when thrown, but never did
find one...

Rob Mitchell
{allegra,ihnp4}!mtuxo!jrrt

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/17/85)

I used to run a fighter who carried an unusual  dagger.  After  the  second
time  he lost levels to a vampire he got fed up and commissioned a "vampire
killer" of his own design.  It had an ironwood blade, holy symbol hilt, and
could be "envenomed" with holy water.  Funny, after he acquired it he never
ran into any more vampires.

Said fighter also had a small pet bird of a species native to our world  (a
bugga-wugga  bird).  The  species  is  notable  for  it's  longish, sharply
pointed beak which it uses to impale its  prey.  They  tend  to  attack  in
flocks  and  do 1d4 each.  Anyway, he had the local druids train it for him
so it would ride on his  shoulder  and  attack  on  command.  It  was  also
trained  to  avoid  armor when attacking so it would most likely go for the
nearest mage.  Theory was being hit by the bird would interrupt  any  spell
the  mage  was  trying  to  get off and give the party time to do something
nasty to him.  Somehow, the opportunity to try it out never  came  up.  Oh,
well.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

u558436743ea@ucdavis.UUCP (u558436743ea) (10/20/85)

a question in regards to the "unusual weapons" discussion:
a friend and i have fairly chaotic characters; after a
bloody battle with some kobolds, we felt like raping and
pillaging (doesn't everybody?)  so, we were going to rape
some female kobolds.  if it is possible for kobold women
to bear 1/2 kobolds, wouldn't this child be so large as to
kill the woman?  if yes, doesn't this mean our sperm are
weapons?  would we gain any experience points?  if the
child dies, would we gain points for this too?

sign this?  ha!

wlb@rruxo.UUCP (B Boutin) (10/23/85)

There once was a Cleric in a dungeon I was in which
had a decanter of endless holy water.  He would
fire-hose vampires and the such out of existence.
Very strange dungeon.
--
Bill Boutin, Bell Communications Research, Inc.,
444 Hoes Lane, Room 4D-336, Piscataway, NJ, 08854

gaynor@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Silver) (10/24/85)

> a friend and i have fairly chaotic characters; after a
> bloody battle with some kobolds, we felt like raping and
> pillaging (doesn't everybody?)  so, we were going to rape
> some female kobolds.  if it is possible for kobold women
> to bear 1/2 kobolds, wouldn't this child be so large as to
> kill the woman?  if yes, doesn't this mean our sperm are
> weapons?  would we gain any experience points?  if the
> child dies, would we gain points for this too?

Tasteless.  But it brings to mind the following observation:

Say the DM rules: female kobolds are impregnable by human
males; the birth of such a conception has a reasonably high
mortality rate; the death of a female kobold due to bearing
half-kobolds conceived through rape is directly attributable
to the father.

Then you certainly should get the experience points for thier
deaths.  More importantly, though, after several experiences as
described above, you should be recognized as having a 'proficiency'
with a certain 'weapon' ;-}.

If you are chaotic evil/good, then I would rule that you gain/lose
some kind of brownie points with your god(s), in direct proportion
to the number of hit points you gained from these attacks.  Not
without consequence, though.  I would rule that you sustain a
temporary drop in charisma of -1/attack for 4 months, cumulative,
when dealing with non-chaotic evil females of any humanoid species
(if the female knows of your actions, twice that for twice as long).
But, certainly a chaotic evil female would laugh it off as 'boys
will be boys!'.

Sign this?  Ha!
| ARPA: Gaynor@rutgers					        |
| UUCP: (ihnp4!ut-sally, siesmo, allegra!packard) !topaz!gaynor |