[net.games.frp] Odd Weapons

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/14/85)

Speaking of odd weapons, there are quite a few that are actually
enshrined in the Player's Handbook.

Has anyone ever run a character who favors a fauchard, a glaive-guisarme,
a bec de corbin, or, my *very* favorite, a Bohemian ear-spoon?  (I
keep imagining the last as something you want to have around in case
you need to get rid of a nasty ear-seeker who has taken up residence
in a friend--although I realize it is not.)
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (10/16/85)

In article <253@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:

>Has anyone ever run a character who favors a fauchard, a glaive-guisarme,
>a bec de corbin, or, my *very* favorite, a Bohemian ear-spoon?  (I
>keep imagining the last as something you want to have around in case
>you need to get rid of a nasty ear-seeker who has taken up residence
>in a friend--although I realize it is not.)

   Can somebody give a description of all these bizarre weapons?  I too have
long wondered what some of these things are, both from a technical viewpoint
(after all, how would you handle a player with a proficiency in ear-spoon?)
and out of plain old curiosity.  The first image that came to mind was some
intensely addicting sex-toy that you use on your enemy, thereby rendering
said enemy ecstatically defenseless.

>I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
>   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

Oh, you must be talking about Keith Moon (:-).

 - joel "vo" plutchak
   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Can you say "opinion"?  I *knew* you could!

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/16/85)

I once had a character that received a mystical bec de corbin (sp?) from a
dying friend.  Unfortunately, the friend died before explaining what the
magic was, or even how to use the bec de corbin.  My character, who of course
had no idea how to use such a weapon, was walking down the street, carrying it
and examining it (hoping to figure out so way of using it).  A thief hiding in
an alley ran out and stole the weapon.  Just as he was making his getaway, the
magic in the weapon started.  See, the weapon can fight by itself, as long as
the owner is concentrating on it!  My character watched as the weapon killed
the thief and learned how to use it.  From then on, if the character encoun-
tered some tough monster, he'd just back off and let the weapon fight by
itself, without risk to life or limb.

Another character of mine (before he died) had an interesting weapon.  He was
a 5th level MU and received a talisman from a 13th level MU.  The talisman
could enlarge any object once a day.  My MU's favorite trick, if the party
was in a terrible bind, was to enlarge a section of the ceiling over the
creature that they were fighting, and watch it collapse under its weight.
However, this got to be too dangerous for the rest of the party, so he
devised a better method.  He purchased a tiger's tooth.  Now, when trouble
is eminent, he throws the tiger's tooth like a dart (which he is very good
at, by the way).  The tooth usually lodges in the hide of the creature.  Then
he uses the talisman and watches the creature die from internal wounds and
severe bleeding.

Robert A. Ekblaw:  "Durst the awkward adventurer."
	ihnp4!uiucdcs!ekblaw

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (10/16/85)

In article <1561@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@maccunix.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
>   Can somebody give a description of all these bizarre weapons?  I too have
>long wondered what some of these things are...

Vicious Oyster has now had these things demonstrated to him, and has
been reduced to chowder-sized bits which are gumming up his keyboard.

Remember:  When you carry a Vorpal PandyBat, you never walk alone.
--
Rick Keir -- right next to the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) (10/18/85)

> Speaking of odd weapons, there are quite a few that are actually
> enshrined in the Player's Handbook.
>
> Has anyone ever run a character who favors a fauchard, a glaive-guisarme,
> a bec de corbin, or, my *very* favorite, a Bohemian ear-spoon?  (I

Ah, yes! Glaive-guisarme! I had a gnome ( a hefty one) who could be seen astride
a wolf ( pony was TOO large for him) and brandishing a small glaive-guisarme.
He had STR of 18:8? (legal in that campaign) and did a LOT of damage.

He also had his life saved more than thrice by giant rats and other "burrowing
animals" ( remember? it's stated in the rules that gnomes speak " burrowing
animals" tongues! ALL of them!(;->)). His heroic battle-songs in Giant-Rat
tongue DID bother his bi-pedal companions (squeek-squeek-SCHREEETCH!).

--
-----------------------------------+ With deep indifference,
"I disbelieve an army of invisible |                       Oleg Kiselev.

Nothing I ever say reflects the views or opinions of my employers.
They knew who they hired though!

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) (10/28/85)

My friend Carlos Gordon had an interesting version of a Singing Sword in one of
his "dungeons":
	A Barber Shop Quartet of Singing Swords!
The swords would sing when excited or drawn and made sneaking up from behind
quite impossible, for both players and monsters. Nothing like a Singing Sword
with automatic "Detect Enemy", loud voice and a strange sense of humor.

--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.