[net.games.frp] unusual weapons and other silliness

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (10/21/85)

> a question in regards to the "unusual weapons" discussion:
> a friend and i have fairly chaotic characters; after a
> bloody battle with some kobolds, we felt like raping and

This is demented enough to bring back memories; kobolds
were a running joke in our campaigns.  For example, we cooked
up some Very Strange magic items.  One of these were the
Pointed Shoes of Groin Kicking.  The Pointed Shoes scored
an automatic hit (of some sort) regardless of armor protection
and did no damage in terms of points, but if any adult male
humanoid EXCEPT a kobold (there's what we thought of them)
is hit by them, he is Paralyzed (no saving throw) for the
equivalent of three minutes.  (This brought about an odd
situation where the Girdle of Sex Change actually could be
of some use in combat!)

In a similar vein was the Tin Horn of Valhalla which conjured
up anywhere from 5 to 25 berserk kobolds.  (It's supposed
to be a dozen, but they can't count that high....)

There was also the Holy Pike with an absurd set of bonuses to
hit &c., but was invariably located across the body diagonal
of a small room (the only way it could fit in) so that no
force could remove it without bringing down the ceiling.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (10/24/85)

In article <76@utastro.UUCP> jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) writes:

>There was also the Holy Pike with an absurd set of bonuses to
>hit &c., but was invariably located across the body diagonal
>of a small room (the only way it could fit in) so that no
>force could remove it without bringing down the ceiling.
>

>Jeff Brown the Scumbag
>		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
>		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
>Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin

A first level MU spell, the reverse of Enlarge, would suffice to extract
the fabled pike of which you speak. Of course, if the item were an artifact,
there would be a good chance the magic would not work on it. Even if the
magic did work, this type of tampering with the item might destroy the
dweomer which has magicked the pike!!!

Such a ploy was used by a wizard friend of mine in the not too distant
future (or was it the past ???). Having come across an enchanted long sword
of considerable worth and power (the sword's previous owner was no longer
in need of the weapon seeing as the poor bloke had just recently succumbed
to the ol' one-two / Stinking Cloud-Fireball combination), my good friend
was loath to forgo the benifits to his arsenal. In a flash of brilliance,
the wizard cast a reverse of the Enlarge spell upon the sword and then
cast a Perminancy spell on the Shrink spell. The result - after the DM had
determined that there was no ill side-effects to the sword - was the most
powerful dagger in the hands of any mage, wizard or sorcerer around :-).

			   skippin' o'er th' timelines ag'in,
			   Arch-Mage Whisper Spirit

"When the going gets tough, the mage hides behind the biggest, meanest
fighter he can find."  - from the Mages Handbook of Survival v. IV

christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) (10/29/85)

In article <910@gitpyr.UUCP> of Sat, 26-Oct-85 05:35:25 GMT
cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) writes:

>the wizard cast a reverse of the Enlarge spell upon the sword and then
>cast a Perminancy spell on the Shrink spell. The result - after the DM had
>determined that there was no ill side-effects to the sword - was the most
>powerful dagger in the hands of any mage, wizard or sorcerer around :-).

The "dagger" would probably have been very unbalanced, and have had a *very*
small hilt. The MU would probably have had to shrink his/her hand to use it!
--
SMail: Christer Johansson  EMail: {seismo,seismo!mcvax}!enea!kuling!christer OR
       Sernandersv. 9:136         christer@kuling.UUCP