[net.games.frp] AC bonuses and monks...

somner@lasspvax.UUCP (David Somner) (10/02/85)

Usually a 2x dex bonus is used with my group for AC adjustments.  It seems
to work out pretty good.  Some other minor things are done up as well, such as
the use of many weapons and whatnot that are related to modern-day martial
arts.  The dex bonus we count heavilly for monks.  Unfortunately, I don't
have a table here with the computations we made up. (sorry)  I'll try to
get them and post them at some later time.  Remind me, someone!

-Dave S.

dunbar@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Neil Dunbar) (10/21/85)

The article always made me wonder exactly how a monks stun is defined.
I mean, is it like a power word stun or what? The PHB and DMG say precious
little about the whole matter ( unless of course I've missed a bit ).
Me, I tend to use the following:
 1) Stunned person is AC 4 factors worse than before
 2)    "      "    is at -2 to hit on all attacks
 3)    "      "    automatically loses initiative
 4) Spell casting (scroll or natural) is impossible while stunned.
If anyone uses a different method I'd like to hear about it, since a monk
of my acquaintance has just hit 6th level, i.e. where he is going to be
stunning quite a bit in the very near future.
					Yours,
					   Neil "Harassed DM" Dunbar

patrick@mcc-db2.UUCP (Patrick McGehearty) (10/23/85)

> Me, I tend to use the following:
>  1) Stunned person is AC 4 factors worse than before
>  2)    "      "    is at -2 to hit on all attacks
>  3)    "      "    automatically loses initiative
>  4) Spell casting (scroll or natural) is impossible while stunned.
Actually, -2 to hit is not much of a problem for experienced,
well equiped fighters.  I visualize being stunned as similar
to getting hit so hard you are groggy.  Thus, I go with
1,3,4 above, but allow no attacks while stunned and movement
is at half of normal.

dove@mit-bug.UUCP (Web Dove) (10/25/85)

In article <182@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP> dunbar@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Neil Dunbar) writes:
> 1) Stunned person is AC 4 factors worse than before
> 2)    "      "    is at -2 to hit on all attacks
> 3)    "      "    automatically loses initiative
> 4) Spell casting (scroll or natural) is impossible while stunned.

1 & 2 sound like they come from the stun description in Dragon #83
"unarmed combat simplified".

we also use rules 1 & 2
3 is new to me but sounds good
4 we use
5> no psionics either (btw, we play psionics as interruptable 1 seg spells)
6> as per Dragon #83, once stunned you can't be restunned until you
recover, so the effects can't add (this is especially important in
monk combat).

(btw, regarding battle, we have modified the rules to say a monk gets
stuck at a level until they win their battle, rather than losing the
level.  Before any repeat battle they must go on an adventure but
receive no exp till they win.)

7> a stunned opponenent can't choose to attack someone, they can only
respond to a MELEE attack (i.e. someone next to them).  Thus, once
your opponent is stunned, you can walk away and be safe and shoot/cast at
them safely, but you can't go up and beat on them.  This is the way we
play all stuns (holy word, power word, symbol, monk, grapple).

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (11/01/85)

> 6> as per Dragon #83, once stunned you can't be restunned until you
> recover, so the effects can't add (this is especially important in
> monk combat).

    Why not?  Is there any reason for this, other than game balance?
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j