[net.games.frp] Adventure writeup mailing lists

mjc@cad.cs.cmu.edu (Monica Cellio) (11/11/85)

Carl Rigney (cdrigney@uokvax) said, a month or two ago:

>If people are going to distribute writeups or other lengthy
>campaign articles, I definitely suggest it be done by a mailing
>list, not net.games.frp.  Lots of sites are looking for ways to
>reduce their news burden, and if net.games.frp suddenly shoots to
>near the top of the 25 largest groups, it might be very hard to
>justify its existence.  [...]
>
>I'd like to see the writeups broken up by Genre - Fantasy,
>Superhero, Post-War, Modern, etc.
[so people see what they're interested in and don't have to wade through the
rest]

I enjoy reading write-ups.  People have occasionally posted some in the past,
but others have complained about the volume, and the moderator of frplist has
stated that frplist isn't really the place for them either.

I'm volunteering to moderate a mailing list for one of the genres,
fantasy/pseudo-historical/etc.  (The stuff that is often thought of as
"traditional" for frp.)  To put as small a burden on the net as possible
(since writeups do tend to be long), I'm going to do it in the following way:
	- if you want to be on the list, send me your name, mail path
	  (I have a path generation program but would appreciate suggested
	  routes anyway, in case my program hasn't heard of your machine),
	  and the names of any text compression programs you have available.
	- if you have a submission, send it to me.
	- I will periodically send out an index of what I've received; you
	  indicate what you want and I'll pass it on (compressed if possible).
	  You can just send me a message specifying defaults (like
	  "everything" or "everything from x") if you want.

I don't really have the time/disk space/cycles to do this for all genres, so
I've picked the one I'm personally most interested in.  I'd like to see lists
for the other genres start up too.

I don't know how well this is going to work, but I'm willing to give it a try.
Send me mail if you're interested.

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...seismo!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-cad!mjc  or if that doesn't work:
      ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon