[net.music] Kate Bush's "Lionheart"

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/09/85)

["What did you dream?  It's all right -- we told you what to dream."]

> From: tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor)

> And now I'm a full fledged Kate Bush Fanatic. (though there are still
> songs (most of Lionheart for example) that I don't care for.

Hmmm.  It's strange that you should like "The Kick Inside", but not
"Lionheart".  "Lionheart" is sort of "The Kick Inside Part Two", and
that's its biggest problem -- not that there is anything wrong with any
of the individual songs.

Kate was pressured into rushing out "Lionheart" by the record company
because of the phenominal success (in Europe) of "The Kick Inside".
This was probably not a wise move artistically, but it certainly was a
wise move commercially, because it made lots of money.  But Kate Bush is
dissatisfied with "Lionheart" for this reason.  She wants all her albums
to be very different.  She wants to be constantly expanding and growing.
This is evident in the fact that each of her albums (except "Lionheart")
is very very different from the album it follows.

Kate has this to say about "Lionheart":

	Looking back, I don't really think that "Lionheart" actually
	expressed the true phase I was in at the time, whereas all the
	others have.  While the first LP ["The Kick Inside"] consisted
	of material I'd written up to that point, I found the time
	pressures prevented me from writing more fresh material for the
	second one.

	In fact I only wrote three new songs -- "Symphoney In Blue",
	"Full House" and "Coffee Homeground" --- and if you know that
	then you can tell the difference in style.  Basically, this
	album could have been a lot better.

So, "Lionheart" consists mostly of rejects from the "Kick Inside", but
this is okay, because Kate doesn't know how to write a bad song.  In
fact several of the songs are among Kate's best.  "In Search Of Peter
Pan" and "Symphoney In Blue" are just wonderful, and "Oh England My
Lionheart" and "Fullhouse" are also quite good!

				"No wonder I blue it"

				 Doug