[net.games.frp] illusions - are we talking the same game?

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/05/85)

In article <1735@uwmacc.UUCP>, oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
>If you accept that an illusionist can cast a bridge over
>a chasm, and PCs and NPCs who believe it is there can actually walk across on
>the illusion of the bridge, what of the logical inverse of the idea?  That is,
>if an illusionist casts an illusion over a mountain range, making it appear not
>to be there, could I, the unsuspecting dumb fighter-type walk right through it?
>It would seem to be consistent, but that, to me, is stretching things a bit.

This is how things work in Toon ( a Steve Jackson Game). If you *think* you can
do something or ( more often ) too DUMB to realize you CAN'T do something -- you
DO IT just fine. Just like in cartoons : Duffy Duck runs off the edge of the
cliff and keeps on running for a while... then stops, looks down... it dawns on
him that he CAN'T stand still in the mid air -- so he plunges down !...

Then again, in Toon characters don't die, they just "fall down" and rejoin the
game 3 min. later. Great game to play whan you are on drugs.... Is that why I
never get to play it ;-(?

But seriously, folks! Creating an illusion of a bridge will NOT let you walk
accross as if it was REALLY there! Seeing a bridge does not make it BE there.
And stepping on it will surely lead to a fall. Just because your MIND beleives
there is a bridge, your BODY will know different when it hits the rocks under
the illusory bridge!

It is different with the illusion of a chasm -- there your mind tells you you
are falling, so you take psychosomatic (?) damage.

And then there is an old idea of an illusory bridge over an illusory pit...
How would YOU arbitrate such a thing?
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg