[net.games.frp] 60 Minutes replies and my last open letter

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/11/85)

In article <9300062@uiucdcs> ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>Well, Jerry, maybe you've finally learned something about the national mass
>media circuit.  These people have great power, do their best to influence
>others, yet will not admit when they are wrong! ...
>               ... I tried to deal with them on a segment I thought poorly
>researched.  I, too, received the form letter, sent two more letters (one
>angry and one sympathetic yet forcefully) and received nothing in return.

Well, it's good to know that others have fought the good  fight.  I'm  glad
to  see  the  interest hasn't entirely died away yet, though I suspect some
'.frp readers wish it would go away and let them concentrate on more direct
frp  subjects.  They've probably hit 'n' by now anyway, so I'll ramble on a
bit more.

60 Minutes has occasionally had the integrity to correct themselves on  the
air  and  I  had  some  hopes  of prodding them into doing it this time.  I
suspect part of the reason they didn't is the letters I wrote came to  them
a  few  weeks  after  the original broadcast rather than immediately.  They
probably figured most of their audience had forgotten the segment  by  then
(and  were  probably  right).  Unfortunately,  the  D&D/suicide  connection
persists in many minds, even if they don't remember where they heard it.

Though my letter campaign has been viewed by many as tilting at  windmills,
I  like  to think it had a few worthwhile effects.  First of all, it turned
up some reasonably hard statistics we can all use in support of our  hobby.
Next  time  someone  demonstrates  their ignorance of the subject, tell 'em
what  I  told  you.   The  figures  have  since  been  confirmed,   to   an
approximation, by others.  Second, it helped spread those figures among the
frp'ers on the net and, I hope,  through  them  to  the  rest  of  the  frp
community.  Third  it  inspired  others to write to 60 Minutes, so my voice
wasn't crying out alone in the wilderness.  Finally, 60  Minutes  has  once
again  been  reminded they can't fool all the people all the time.  Some of
us, at least, can recognize snake oil and naked emperors when we  see  them
and aren't afraid to say so.  Also, thanks to the net, CBS and their ilk no
longer have a complete monopoly on world wide media.

Ho hum.  Enough pontificating.  Now, what was that about magical lasers? (-:

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe