[net.games.frp] New Newsgroup

mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) (12/10/85)

    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-

group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.  This could
easily be set up like the AD&D by mail seen in Dragon Magazine tm., etc, where
you are given a verbose description of your surrounding, objects, monsters, etc,and you respond with your actions.  The number of turns would be 5 or 6 per weekand it would be a lot cheaper than playing by mail.

     All in favor, flood the net with replies and suggestions...
     All against, keep quiet...

					     signed,
					            GM in search of a Campaign

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (12/12/85)

In article <128@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:

>    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>
>group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.  This could
>easily be set up like the AD&D by mail seen in Dragon Magazine tm., etc, where
>you are given a verbose description of your surrounding, objects, monsters, etc,and you respond with your actions.  The number of turns would be 5 or 6 per weekand it would be a lot cheaper than playing by mail.
>
>     All in favor, flood the net with replies and suggestions...
>     All against, keep quiet...
>
>					     signed,
>					            GM in search of a Campaign

There are currently two such games underway at this time. The games were
solicited for in net.games.frp and net.games.pbm. They are being conducted
both through E-mail and net.games.pbm.
As you have already posted to net.games.frp, you might simply ammend your post-
ing to mention that you definately want to start a campaign and outline the
information that you would like to recieve from each prospective player.

				the never-present whisper spirit

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/12/85)

In article <128@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:

>    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.  This could
>easily be set up like the AD&D by mail seen in Dragon Magazine tm., etc, where
>you are given a verbose description of your surrounding, objects, monsters, etc,and you respond with your actions.  The number of turns would be 5 or 6 per weekand it would be a lot cheaper than playing by mail.

I vote against.

There are already several pbm games going on over  the  net  using  e-mail.
This  seems  to  me to be the appropriate way to implement such a thing.  I
see no reason to further burden the net by sending game scenarios and moves
all  over  the  world  to  sites where no one's even reading the group, let
alone playing the game.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    The more I work with C, the more I
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             appreciate the simple elegance of
Santa Monica, CA  90405           FORTRAN.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

bem8435@ritcv.UUCP (William "Power-Chord" Trainor) (12/13/85)

In article <128@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:

>    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>
>group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.  This could
>easily be set up like the AD&D by mail seen in Dragon Magazine tm., etc, where
>you are given a verbose description of your surrounding, objects, monsters, etc,and you respond with your actions.  The number of turns would be 5 or 6 per weekand it would be a lot cheaper than playing by mail.
>
>     All in favor, flood the net with replies and suggestions...
>     All against, keep quiet...
>
>					     signed,
>					            GM in search of a Campaign

That would be real interesting, but my guess is that it would take forever, and
the game would lose its interactive excitement.  I'm willing to give it a try,
however.  I think teleconferencing would be REALLY great (but REALLY expensive
:^{)!!!!!!

****All opinions within these few bytes of tranmission mean absolutely nothing to
    the REAL owner of this account, seeing that he doesn't know about them anyway!

Bill Trainor       *Voted "World's Worst Guitarist" by the entire dorm.......
                   *Proclaimed "Most Likely to Die This Time" by the D+D gang...
                   *Last in charge in the Rochester Wargamers Association and
                    Guild....

"You can't possibly exist, so go away!"

rimbold@ulowell.UUCP (Rob Rimbold) (12/13/85)

I am MUCH in favor of starting interactive gaming across a new
net newsgroup! This type of play could be beneficial to people who
don't know much about FRP games, and would like to know more. It
would also (more importantly) be FUN. I would enjoy a nice diversion
to my day.

--
-> Rob Rimbold		"But running in parallel is more fun!"

	UUCP : 	decvax!wanginst!ulowell!rimbold
	ARPA :	rimbold@ulowell.CSNET
	AT&T :	(617) 452-5000 x2233

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (12/14/85)

>     Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>
> group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.  This could
> easily be set up like the AD&D by mail seen in Dragon Magazine tm., etc, where
> you are given a verbose description of your surrounding, objects, monsters, etc,and you respond with your actions.  The number of turns would be 5 or 6 per weekand it would be a lot cheaper than playing by mail.
>
>      All in favor, flood the net with replies and suggestions...
>      All against, keep quiet...
>
> 					     signed,
> 					            GM in search of a Campaign

Sorry, but I can't keep quiet.  There are already several games
going on using electronic mail rather than the net.  This way only
people actually involved in the game get the messages.  There's no
point to sending messages all over the net that only really concern 5
or 6 people.  This idea should be dropped.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/14/85)

In article <128@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:
>    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.

    As I pointed out a while ago on net.games.pbm, it is absurd to use a
newsgroup to communicate with the small number of people in a particular
game.  Not only is it far more expensive than email, it's slower and less
reliable.  Use the newsgroup to look for players, but once you have the
game organized, use email to distribute each turn's results.  No reason why
this has to shut out kibbitzers and onlookers; they can be on the game's
mailing list as well.

	BTW, I've added a "Followup-to: net.news.group", where this type of
discussion belongs.  If you care about this and don't already subscribe to
net.news.group, do so now so you don't miss out.

--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (12/14/85)

In article <56@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>In article <128@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:
>>
>>    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>>group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.  This could
>>easily be set up like the AD&D by mail seen in Dragon Magazine tm., etc, where
>>you are given a verbose description of your surrounding, objects, monsters, etc,and you respond with your actions.  The number of turns would be 5 or 6 per weekand it would be a lot cheaper than playing by mail.
>I vote against.
>The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)

a) I vote for, and b) I am interested in more information about this.  Please
write to me directly, as I cannot read either net.games or any of its subgroups.
--
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa
      ...allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_akaa