[net.games.frp] Multiple Characters per Player

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (12/11/85)

>From: Gary Huckabay <ccs007@ucdavis.UUCP> (Cionex)
>	... allow me to confront a question upon which I thought all people
>	were in agreement - The concept that AD&D works best when played with
>	one, and only one, player character per person.

	Not all people agree with you on this point.  The choice of number and
	type of characters depends heavily on the type of campaign under
	consideration.  In general, continuing episode, small group (4-6
	players), closed world, games works best when played with one player
	character per person.

	Episodic or scenario based games are best played with multiple
	characters.  This helps blunt the "well, my character died, I'll go
	watch TV" syndrome.

	If there is a large group of PCs, it is perfectly reasonable to have
	more then one character; one might be a pirate on the White Coast, and
	another might be a Tenleader in the Effulgent Horde 3 months travel
	away.  (I use time rather then distance due to the vast differences in
	transport from campaign to campaign.  3 months travel might be anywhere
	from one to several thousand miles, ignoring those worlds where the
	characters go to town and buy passage through a gate or somesuch B-)
	Play tends to favor one area for a while, and then moves on to another
	when characters require a hiatus; spell research, special training,
	child rearing, governing an area, etc.

	Open worlds; *sigh* never mind  B-)

>	In an ongoing campaign, knowledge is often more valuable than riches,
>	magic, and can open a lot of doors for the players if used properly.
>	No matter what the intentions of the player, knowledge seems to 'seep'
>	from the brain of one character to the other, which can lead to nearly
>	inconquerable problems of who knew what when.

	I solved this one early.  Players were always pulling the "your
	character doesn't hear this" Bull!Shit! so I stared using the "your
	hear it, your character knows it" rule.  People became much more
	careful about who heard what, and I kept the misinformation level at
	about 50%.  Anything I said at any time could be construed as rumor,
	legend, or dusty old childhood memory.  Nothing was guarenteed
	accurate.  A lot of it turned out to be "true"; the players would say
	something I thought was interesting and I would work it into the game.
	It was great fun.

>	Favoritism always rears its ugly head.  I have yet to see a player who
>	is running two (or, in truly sick cases, more) pcs consider them both
>	equals.  Invariably, one character acts considerably more than the
>	other, and the neglected pc becomes a waste of time and energy.

	What's wrong with favoritism?  I assume that you are pointing out that
	every character in these situations don't get equal play in every
	session.  This again is a matter of playing style.  One of the games I
	play in has 2 (sometimes 3) PCs per player.  Rather then trying to get
	everybody's "stuff" in every session, the referee usually focuses on
	three or four of the characters triumphs/defeats/motifs.  Eventually,
	everybody gets a turn; Ralphson gets a visit from the minions of the
	otherworld sorcerer he annoyed, Alice gets to deal with her advanced
	age and being teleported (accidentially) to this part of the world,
	some event forces Simon the bard to deal with his current lust for
	violent combat, etc.  Not bad, just different.

>	As for my hatred of AD&D expansion, particularly the additions of
>	Arduin rules, and the squeezing of the loyal players by TSR (Could be a
>	long post), look forward to a post after Xmas.

	I'm looking forward to this.  You couldn't believe the shock and horror
	when I told someone at the local shop that I didn't plan on buying The
	Latest from TSR.
--
	Dr. Bob
ORG	Plus Five Computer Services

jacob@chalmers.UUCP (Jacob Hallen) (12/17/85)

There are many different styles of play in Fantasy Roleplaying,
from Munchkin Montyhaul to involved political scenarios.
Most of the postings on this subject are in favour of letting
players have multiple characters.
I would like to defend the view of 'one player per character/
one character per player'.
If you play multiple characters you are most often involved in
fast, free-wheeling, lots-of-fun campaign. This is ok, but to me it's
not the ultimate way of playing.
With one character per player and a really good DM you don't play a
character, you ARE that character. This turns the game from being
mainly fun to being mainly exiting. The character is no longer
'my cleric', it's me. I have to save my skin, I have to survive,
if I take a risk I won't do it with the calculation 'I can always
roll up an other one', because I can't.

If you have experienced being, instead of playing, a character you
will never want it any other way.

Jacob