[net.games.frp] Modules

pickle@nmtvax.UUCP (12/08/85)

re: Tomb of Horrors
>> he happened to notice the letters spelled out in the floor tile
> I am certain
> there were no miscellaneous clues written on the floor tiles. :-)
   I played this module many years ago, but as I recall, there were clues
written on a red path down the main corridor [it ran over a few traps, too].

***I'm about to flame--look out now!***

   But anyway, regarding modules: is there anyone else out there that feels
modules are worthless junk, and if the gaming community is going to get out
of the amateur rut it's in, people have got to stop using them?
   Right now, most of the gamers I see are hairy slimeballs who have never
had a creative thought in their lives.  They use modules because Gary Gygax
seems more intelligent and creative than they are.  I think this is a pretty
sad state of affairs, and if it doesn't change, the community deserves all
the persecution 60 Minutes and anyone else can deliver.
   What I'm calling for is an increase in creativity--I think most gamers
(including the hairy slimeballs) are capable of creating campaigns and
dungeons of their own.  If people start trying their own ideas, they will
find some that work and some that don't.  Those that work will remain,
and a new set ideas can be experimented with.  Eventually, a campaign will
consist of a bunch of good ideas and background.  The DM's skill will improve
as he learns to select interesting themes and present them well.  The players
will improve as they face new and unusual problems.  The whole community
will improve because the skill of the individuals increases.
   Why am I hitting on modules?  Joe Blow goes out and buys a module.  He
uses it, then files it away.  He buys another one, uses that.  Nothing he
learned about being a DM from the first one carries over to the second.
He never gets any better.
***Flame OFF***

   I've been thinking of starting up a 'zine that focuses on improving the
quality of play by providing articles on how to structure campaigns and give
meaning to the events that take place in them.  There might also be some
creative fiction, some interviews with writers and game developers, and stuff
like that.  Most of the gamers I respect play a Morrow Project/Aftermath cross,
so there would probably be something on that.  Perhaps there would be something
on strategies for Diplomacy and other games that use the grey stuff. No
monsters.  No modules.  No munchkins.
    Is there anyone out there who would be interested in something along those
lines (better yet, willing to write the above material)?  Are there any 'zines
around that fit the above description (I like much of the stuff in Abyss).
Well, I'd like to get some feedback on this, so while I wait for the gas
bill for the flame, I'll also wait for mail....  If I get a lot of responses,
I'll post a summary.

Patrick Madden, at a dusty terminal in a dusty town in a dusty state....
!cmcl2!lanl!unmc!nmtvax!pickle | "But Josey wasn't like the rest,
!ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!pickle   |  He don't like bulletholes in his vest"

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (12/10/85)

In article <896@nmtvax.UUCP>, pickle@nmtvax.UUCP writes:

> I've been thinking of starting up a 'zine that focuses on improving the
> quality of play by providing articles on how to structure campaigns and give
> meaning to the events that take place in them.  There might also be some
> creative fiction, some interviews with writers and game developers, and
> stuff like that.  Most of the gamers I respect play a Morrow
> Project/Aftermath cross, so there would probably be something on that.
> Perhaps there would be something on strategies for Diplomacy and other games
> that use the grey stuff. No monsters.  No modules.  No munchkins.

> Is there anyone out there who would be interested in something along those
> lines (better yet, willing to write the above material)?  Are there any
> 'zines around that fit the above description (I like much of the stuff in
> Abyss).

Most 'zines have a readership that's too open-minded for the "No monsters,
no modules, no munchkins" rule, so if you insist on straightjacketing
yourself that way, you'll have to start your own.  ABYSS is indeed the best
magazine if your main goal is to insult people whose gaming style you
disagree with.  ALARUMS & EXCURSIONS and THE WILD HUNT (edited by Lee Gold
lcc!barry and Mark Swanson panda!bromu!mas, respectively) are the best
role-playing APA's that I know of (APA = Amateur Press Association, usually
a collection of unedited submissions reproduced as received from the
authors.  Much like USENET in many ways).

--

		Robert Plamondon
		UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (12/10/85)

In his recent posting Mr. Madden came down very heavy on the use of modules.
To a large degree, I must agree with him. Modules tend to decrease the
creative indeavor of the GM. There is however, a great deal more to GM-ing
than creating interesting scenarios. And not all buyers/users of modules
use them lock stock and barrel. For many years, I ran a successful AD&D
campaign. The "world" was largely my own design from a macroscopic point of
view. I did upon occasion insert modules which seemed to fit very nicely into
the picture (time strictures can often limit the creative flow). Never did I
feel compelled to run the module as presented - mostly due to the fact that
some matters simply wouldn't jive with our universe.
Even so, I disdain the use of modules as a habit. Unfortunately, there are far
more players out there than can be accomodated by that rare breed of animal,
the Good GM. Many of the players I know are college students. How many college
students do you know that consistantly have the time to develop well rounded
worlds? The trick, of course, is to build slowly and be willing to wait.
There is however, another alternative, one which I have taken to with relish.
If you are the type of GM who prefers a world where power is not run rampant
(where magical swords are not a dime a dozen) and are interested in politics,
diplomacy and a world rich in detail of all sorts, I highly recommend the world
of Harn. The creators of this series of maps, indexes and documentaries upon the
island world of Harn have - in my opinion - done an excellent job! What they
provide you with is the backdrop against which a Gm can turn his or her creativetalents towards motivating characters. Granted, some GM's relish the developmentof maps the attention to minute detail which definately enriches any adventure.
To these people: you will probably not like Harn. But for those - like my self -
who prefer to bend our creative talents towards developing intricate plots and
sub-plots, who seek to maintain some sort of cohesive whole to the political
and social situation, the Harn Series is just the thing.
Harn is not another Fantasy Role Playing system. It is a fully developed back-
drop with in which a GM can use what ever frp system they prefer. I do, however,
recommend using RuneQuest or Role Master, as these two seem to fit in best.

				 the never present whisper spirit

scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) (12/10/85)

From: pickle@nmtvax.UUCP -->

>   But anyway, regarding modules: is there anyone else out there that feels
>modules are worthless junk, and if the gaming community is going to get out
>of the amateur rut it's in, people have got to stop using them?

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far.  There are some great ideas in modules,
although as a whole, they have loads of problems.  They are still very
good for fledgling DMs.

>   Why am I hitting on modules?  Joe Blow goes out and buys a module.  He
>uses it, then files it away.  He buys another one, uses that.  Nothing he
>learned about being a DM from the first one carries over to the second.
>He never gets any better.

Not true.  If Joe Blow has no creativity, then sure.  But if he has no
creativity, he won't come up with anything on his own anyway.  I've used
plenty of ideas from previous campaigns and modules in my current one.
The way I see it, there are two main problems with modules:

1.  They are often good time savers (populating dungeons, or at
    least rolling up mundane monsters and treasure, is tedious).
    However, this often leads to a laziness and lack of originality
    on the part of the DM.  This is, I think, your main objection.

2.  Modules are apallingly incomplete, especially on the above
    mentioned "mundane" details.  And the worst part is that often
    this incompleteness goes unnoticed on first reading of the thing.
    It isn't until later you run into trouble.  A typical description
    may read "Room contains a bed, and desk with a false back containing
    a ring of protection +1".  Of course, my players ask questions like
    "Which way does the door open?", or "Is there anything on the walls",
    or "What's in the drawers in the desk", etc.  I mean, how many rooms
    contain nothing but a bed and a desk?

Of course, it could be argued that (2.) promotes quick thinking and
creativity on the part of the DM, but it's mostly a pain in the butt.:-)

I'm admittedly not a very experienced referee, but I haven't found it
too difficult to be creative.  I've been taking the best parts of modules
(or sometimes whole ones) and integrating them together.  Add some overall
terrain, some towns, cities (changing module placenames to fit), a few
churches, a recurring villain perhaps, a quest or two, etc.  The in-between
adventuring can be "mini-dungeons" I create myself, and clues can be
planted in existing modules to entice the players from one locale to another.

Anyway, as you can see, I don't find modules wholly worthless on their own.
With a little work they can be used as frameworks for creating your own world.
Even Gygax has some good ideas once in a while. :-)

				"Your Wand of Wonder has created
				 a stream of butterflies to further
				 enrage the advancing beholder..."

				 Scott J. Berry
				 ihnp4!hou2g!scott

laura@l5.uucp (Laura Creighton) (12/16/85)

Now that I have a laserwriter attatched to my unix system, I would like to
automate dungeon drawing a bit.  What I really want is CAD tools for
dungeon design.  Does anybody have any, or do I have to write my own?
[Yes, yes, if I write my own I will post them...]
--
Laura Creighton
sun!l5!laura		(that is ell-five, not fifteen)

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (12/17/85)

In article <342@l5.uucp> laura@l5.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
>Now that I have a laserwriter attatched to my unix system, I would like to
>automate dungeon drawing a bit.  What I really want is CAD tools for
>dungeon design.  Does anybody have any, or do I have to write my own?
>[Yes, yes, if I write my own I will post them...]
>--
>Laura Creighton
>sun!l5!laura		(that is ell-five, not fifteen)
>l5!laura@lll-crg.arpa

A friend and I here at GIT are designing a Game Masters Aide which will be
general enough so that each group can define - to the program - their par-
ticular system of gaming. Once the GMA understands your system, it can then
serve as a character generator, creature generator, melee resolution aide and
a scenario creation/development tool.
Since we're on the subject, it has come to my atention that there are several
programs out on the market now which purport to be able to do some or all of
what we claim ours will do. Is anyone familiar with any of these? If so, can
you send me any comments you have about these programs? We are greatly con-
cerned with quality. If you have any suggestions as to features you would
like to see on such a program, please feel free to comment.

				  Thanks in advance.
				   the never present whisper spirit

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>