[net.games.frp] Unearthed Arcana

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (07/19/85)

As a new topic of conversation:

What is the feeling out there in Netland on "Unearthed Arcana"?
Is it worth the bucks?  What's good and bad in it?

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) (07/19/85)

	Basically, start studying AD&D all over again folks.  If you
include this book in your campaign it will greatly enhance the game.

	If you have subscribed to Dragon, then you pretty much have
all the material contained in this compilation.  However, you do NOT
get all the updated rolling charts etc.

	I recommend the book, even though I shelled out $15 for it.

 	The table of contents runs like this:

		P L A Y E R ' S   S E C T I O N
		Page(s)			Topic
		-------		-----------------------------------
		6 - 23		Character material:
					- Comeliness (new stat)
					- Races (new charts for levels,etc)
					- Classes with:
						Fighter (specialization etc.)
						Cavalier & Paladin
						Druid level 15 up
						Barbarian (one MEAN mother!)
						Ranger
						Thief & Thief Acrobat

		25 - 26		Equiping the Character
					- Money
					- Armor
					- Weapons

		28 - 66		Spell Charts (NEW!!!!!!)

		D U N G E O N   M A S T E R ' S   S E C T I O N
		Page(s)			Topic
		-------		-----------------------------------
		74		Character generation:
					- rolling method V
					- hit points
					- abilities (comeliness)

		74 - 75		Classes: followers & henchmen for cavaliers

		75 - 77		Armor, AC, weapons:
					- Types of armor & encumbrance
					- Description of New armor
					- Warhorse & barding
					- Description of new weapons

		79 - 80		Spells:
					- acquisition of Cantrips (Mages)
					- Mage spell books
					- Acquisition of Illusionist spells
						and cantrips
					- Ill. spell books
					- cost of spell casting

		81 - 82			- Underwater use of spells
					- combat (darkness effect)
				(HURRAY - no more arguements with DM's!)

		82 - 83		"The Campaign"
					- Social class and rank
					- Circumstances of birth
	(a great enhancement in my opinion, I'm a sheer pc snobbish mage!)

		84 - 100	TREASURE (back, back! you dwarves and thieves!)
					- random tables
					- ALL NEW:
						potions, scrolls, rings, rods,
						staves, wands, misc. magic,
						armor & shield, swords,
						misc. weapons.

		106 - 123	APPENDICES
					- Weaponless combat
					- Non lethal combat
					- Non Human deities
					- the Nomenclature of Pole Arms

		Help this helps you all,

		From the source of UltraChaos,
		Elric

		aka Ragdor the Incurable (F/thief)

		(aka Moshe Eliovson {allegra, ihnp4}!we53!busch!mte )

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Swamp Thing) (07/19/85)

I havn't spent much time looking at it yet, but the one thing that I really
like is the new level-dependant Ranger tracking abilities table.  The
level-independant shot in the P.H. has always struck me as silly.

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/25/85)

In article <3285@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:

>As a new topic of conversation:
>
>What is the feeling out there in Netland on "Unearthed Arcana"?
>Is it worth the bucks?  What's good and bad in it?

I think it is worth it. As an aside, these are 'official' changes, and thus
if you plan on playing tournament or 'real' AD&D you must have it. I would
have preferred to have seen them run new editions of both Players and DMG
since I would like to keep that information separated, but that is a nit
pick. Also, it should be kept in mind that Dragon magazine will require all
manuscripts received after (I believe) the end of August to allow for the
material of the Arcana, so around the first of the calendar year Dragon
will be using that material as well. As far as content goes, I think it
helps significantly, although there are still some glitches in the
system...

chuq
--
:From the carousel of the autumn carnival:        Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Your fifteen minutes are up. Please step aside!

kalpin@utecfc.UUCP (Jordan E Kalpin) (12/19/85)

Has anyone bought the book "The Unearthed Arcana" by Gigax.  This new tombe
for AD&D provides a supplement for players and DM's alike.  The big question
is this......

Suppose your group subscribes to the principle of "Only the DM knows what's
in the DM GUIDE".  This might sound a bit too prude for some of you...but
it makes for the best FRPing I've ever experienced.  Anywho, the question is
this.  Those of you who have glanced through this new book will quickly
discover that the first half of the book is labelled "Players Section", while
the second half is called "Dungeon Master's Section".  Does this mean that
the players can buy the book but rip out the DM's section (lord help me!).
Perhaps everyone should just promise not to look in the back section...or
better yet...maybe they should get the photocopier humming....

Do any of you know if there will be a new players handbook containing this
new information or can the players section be purchased separately?

Jordan Kalpin
Mechancial Engineering
University of Toronto

kalpin@utecfc.UUCP