[net.games.frp] Types of injuries

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (12/16/85)

In article <131@water.UUCP> abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) writes:
>I've often thought of devising a system for dealing
>with broken bones. Many games (notably D&D) ignore the matter. What system
>does this (or any other game) use?

Justice Inc. (from Hero Games) has a system for dealing with
serious wounds.  If an attack does more than half of your BODY
(somewhat analogous to D&D hit points), you roll for a hit location
and that part of your body is impaired.  The rules give descriptions
of what impairing means: an impairing hit to the head means blurred
vision (so reduced perception and combat values), an impairing hit
to a hand or arm means you can't hold a weapon or shield, an impairing
hit to the legs reduces running speed, and so on.

If an attack does more than your full BODY value, you roll for a hit
location at that part of your body is disabled.  Again, the rules tell
what kind of effects this might have (including broken bones).

When you receive an impairing or disabling injury, you must make a
CON roll.  If you blow it, the damage is permanent (barring GM-produced
miracles).

I believe this system is also used in Fantasy Hero.  Because Fantasy
Hero has magic, there is a spell that can repair permanently disabled
parts of your anatomy...but in most campaigns, it's unlikely that a
PC would have this spell available, since it's fairly expensive.
Odds are, you'd have to make a special pilgrimage to some appropriate
place of healing.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

mab@druak.UUCP (Alan Bland) (12/18/85)

Concerning injuries in Justice Inc., Jim Gardner writes:
> When you receive an impairing or disabling injury, you must make a
> CON roll.  If you blow it, the damage is permanent (barring GM-produced
> miracles).

Are CON rolls easy to make in this situation, or do you end up with lots
of permanent injuries?

I've been toying with the idea of adding permanent damage effects to my
RuneQuest game.  When a character takes a critical or maiming blow, they
would roll on the "Permanent Damage Effects" table (reproduced below) to
see what the effect is.  Most effects are scars, and none of them are
too serious since the skill reductions can be restored after training
and experience.

This table reflects my belief that magic should not always be perfect
and predictable, so a Healing spell won't always fix you up as good as
new.  Of course, a severed arm that goes unhealed is permanent (which
makes for a reeeal ugly scar).

Any comments on this table would be appreciated.  The percentages are
preliminary, and perhaps too lenient.

PERMANENT DAMAGE EFFECTS (preliminary)

LEG
01-75  Distinctive scar on leg
76-95  Walks with a limp
96-99  Severe limp, subtract 1 from Movement Rate
00     See note below*

ABDOMEN
01-95  Distinctive scar on abdomen
96-99  Permanent sexual disfunction
00     See note below*

CHEST
01-90  Distinctive scar on chest
91-99  Lung damaged, asphyxiation rolls start at CONx5 rather than CONx10
00     See note below*

ARM
01-95  Distinctive scar on arm
96-99  Subtract 10% from all weapon skills that use this arm
00     See note below*

HEAD
01-75  Distinctive scar on face
76-90  Ugly scar on face, lose 1 APP
91-95  Hearing impaired, subtract 10% from Listen
96-99  Vision impaired, subtract 10% from Scan and Search
00     See note below*

* NOTE:  If there is an enchantment rune tatooed on this hit location,
  then it has been broken.  If more than one enchantment rune exists,
  choose one randomly.
--
Alan Bland
AT&T Information Systems, Denver CO

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (12/20/85)

In article <15@druak.UUCP> mab@druak.UUCP (Alan Bland) writes:
>Concerning injuries in Justice Inc., Jim Gardner writes:
>> When you receive an impairing or disabling injury, you must make a
>> CON roll.  If you blow it, the damage is permanent (barring GM-produced
>> miracles).
>
>Are CON rolls easy to make in this situation, or do you end up with lots
>of permanent injuries?

The odds are about 60-40 that the average player character will succeed
in a straight CON roll.  For straight normals (who are less hardy than
the average PC), the odds are 50-50.

The reason that Justice Inc. characters don't retire in a pile of
bandages after a session or two is that it is very difficult to do
the amount of damage required to do an impairing or disabling injury
to a player character, since players usually construct their characters
with a high BODY stat (to avoid this very problem).  The result is
that PC's usually can take as much as a pistol shot to any part of
their body other than head or vitals and not be impaired.  You have
to get up into the elephant gun category before you have a reasonable
chance of doing enough damage to force someone into a CON roll.

			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo