[net.games.frp] FRP: Newsgroup vs. Mail

mccolm@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/20/85)

<My line-eater can beat up your line-eater...>

Firstly, I myself don't want to see FRP narratives in the newsgroup, mainly
on account of jealosy.  (I'm not running characters right now, due to a
dearth of referees other than myself, and it's sort of like being the only
one without an SO.)  But there's an explanation to the opposing position.

The E-mail system is simply not reliable enough to support a campaign.  You've
all seen all the messages from people, saying their messages aren't getting
through, and it can take up to 6 weeks for a message to bounce back.  And, for
example, the problem of "private criticism;" I sent a nasty scathing reply
to the jerk with the disgusting and degrading sexist comment in his signature,
<dig, dig>, and it bounced.  Sort of a letdown.

And you want to run a campaign on that mail net?  Better to do so in the news
group, where messages are numbered.
--fini--

Eric McColm
UCLA (oo' - kluh) Funny Farm for the Criminally Harmless
UUCP:  ...!{ihnp4,trwspp,cepu,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!mccolm
ARPA:  mccolm@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
Quotes on the Nature of Existence:
   "To be, or not to be..."    -Hamlet  (Wm. Shakespeare)
   "I think, therefore I am."  -R. Descartes
   "<Gleep!>"                  -Gleep   (Robt. Asprin)

dormitzer@h-sc1.UUCP (paul dormitzer) (12/23/85)

I for one support FRP campaigns on the net.  I like D&D and other FRP games,
but have no time at all to play them.  However, I do have time to read the
net, and would like to follow the progress of others' campaigns.  If the GM
posted the scenarios, moves, etc. it wouldn't be that big a burden on the
net, as long as the individual players mailed their responses to him.
(I'm sure there aren't many people who really want to see all the individual
moves.)

------
Disclaimer:  If Harvard want's responsability for anything I say, they can have it.  I'm pretty sure they don't want it.

    Paul Dormitzer   ...!harvard!h-sc1!dormitzer or dormitzer@h-sc4.{ARPA,UUCP}

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (12/29/85)

I have been playing in an E-mail pbmfrp for the past couple of months and
granted, there are some difficulties in getting information around but nothing
we can't handle so far with a little cooperation. Time helps to optimize paths.
Currently I have recieved mail from two players who have a long lag time in
getting their moves from the GM. Since my mail generally reaches them in 2-3
hours and the GM's mail reaches me in less than 24 hours (on the average), I
have agreed to forward the moves to them. If you have ever played traditional
pbm games, you will agree that one day (give or take a few hours) is certainly
a great advantage over the US postal service. As for bounced mail, yes it
happens. One thing that can help this problem is if the GM has dependable
routes to all the players. Mail can be sent to the GM who can in tern pass on
the mail to another. This of course would not work as well in our current
situation.
There are problems but it does work!

				     the never present whisper spirit

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

In article <850@h-sc1.UUCP> dormitzer@h-sc1.UUCP (paul dormitzer) writes:
>I for one support FRP campaigns on the net.  I like D&D and other FRP games,
>but have no time at all to play them.  However, I do have time to read the
>net, and would like to follow the progress of others' campaigns.  If the GM
>posted the scenarios, moves, etc. it wouldn't be that big a burden on the
>net, as long as the individual players mailed their responses to him.
>(I'm sure there aren't many people who really want to see all the individual
>moves.)
>
>------
>Disclaimer:  If Harvard want's responsability for anything I say, they can have it.  I'm pretty sure they don't want it.
>
>    Paul Dormitzer   ...!harvard!h-sc1!dormitzer or dormitzer@h-sc4.{ARPA,UUCP}

Paul... Merry Christmas/Happy Hanuka/Joyful Solstice (or what ever you prefer).
This is for you:

[Move #1.0] (from the GM - sure hope you don't mind Ryan)

While sleeping one morning, you are awaken by the loud voice of an angered
voice. Irritated, you jump out of bed, get dressed, and open the door to
your middle-classed home and walk outside where you see your friend Tannis
the Cleric, standing on the table from where you have eaten from so many
times.

A Nobel Ranger walks out, "Tannis, what the hell do you think your doing,
yelling your head off this early in the morning? Don't you have better
things to do?"

"My Dear Friend, have not you realized lately that nobody ever comes
to this end of the country anymore? Nobody to buy our goods, nobody to come
to my sermons. Dont you all know what is happening? Its that bloody monster
of a person Sarcerok who is doing this to us. He sends those Death Knights
to Stalk the Land and kill all in his path. Why does he constantly enrage
us?"

"The Codex... Sarcerok searches for the Codex!" booms a
voice.

"Who are you old man?" asks a Mage

"I am Charlign, the Sage. It is obvious what you must do now. You must stop
this tyranny by getting the Codex before Sarcerok, for once he gets possesses
it, there will be no peace and Evil will take over the land. Take everything
that you possibly can, for you may not come back alive. If you find the
Codex, go to the citidel of Huebarak the Monk, who will thereby instruct
you on what you must do then. If you succeed in this task, you will rid
the land of Sarcerok's Evil and once again establish trading between the
cities of the land. But, if you fail, your death bed will be sealed by evil.
Tannis, organize a party and set out as soon as possible."

"Old man!", yells a shifty individual, "Where are we supposed to go?"

"You must journey through the Forest of Baraff and find the Outpost where
Artho the Bard works. Ask him about Tzunkar, the son of Tzunk, and he will
then show you the way to his home. Tzunkar will then tell you where your
quest shall begin and what you must do to find the Codex. Head due north
and that path will lead you to the outpost. But, beware. The Forest does
many unexplained things, that even I do not know about. Never leave your
friends unattended, for you may see them one moment and in another they
may be gone or even dead.

The man then turns away and heads into the distance and then vanishes.

You all look at each other quite bewildered and after a while of discussing
the topic you decide to leave in the morning.

The Next morning you all meet in the town couryard, equipped and ready
that may stand in your path. Just as you are about to leave, a Ranger
stops you.

"Wait one moment people! I have found a map of the area, and as I look at
it, I see that there are two paths to the outpost. Which way shall we go?"
(If the map sucks then send flames to /dev/null)

Your adventure now Begins.

[Move 2.0] (from the GM)

Tannis, fed up with waiting, begins to walk northward, quickly followed by
the rest of the party members. Disention in your party is to a minimum
although some are a bit irritated by a few members who agreed with Tannis.

The group walks along the path until, suddenly....

   "Wait!", cries Nexis, "There are horse prints here, and they are fresh!
Could it be that the Death Knights are about us?"

The Party continues on.. until you are stopped once again by a horrible sight.
About 300 yards ahead of you lies a bridge, but preventing you from passing
are 5 of the Biggest Trolls you have ever seen in your lives. Quickly, you
scramble into the tall grass to the east. They obviously have not seen you yet
for in the distance, you can see 2 of them gnawing on the remains of a white
stallion and a Human clad in plate armor.

[Move 3.0] (from the GM)

	Quickly, you all drop to the ground in an attempt to be unseen, but
to no avail, for the trolls have seen you!

	Becoming battle ready, you soon see Gornell on the other side of
the bridge near 3 trolls, 2 of which are not moving. Within seconds, he
creeps up to the troll closest to him, with the superior advantage of
suprise, unsheaths 2 daggers and backstabs, the troll, each piercing
the neck, causing considerable damage. While still having a chance to
finish off the vile creature, he retreats from the creature, unsheathing
a short sword, and impaling the creature in the chest cavity. "It never
had a chance", he mutters to himself while ripping dead grass out of the
ground and then burning the lifeless corpse.

	Meanwhile, Maryah, noticing 2 trolls advancing, moves to dirt
section of the area, and casts as spell. The grass begins to wave furiously,
bringing a troll to its knees, but only slowing his counterpart.

	With bows ready for action, Aiken, Destine, Kerwin and Yuvaxx,
let their arrows fly, 3 of which hit the oncoming troll, while, Kerwin's
flies wildly, coming within inches of hitting, Maryah in the head.

	In the distance, the crackling of fire can be heard!

	D'nath, meanwhile, heads towards the bridge, where another troll
awaits, but is not ready for the the trolls anger and takes two blows from
the troll and is staggered back, falling into the lake and being swept away
by a current.

	Tannis, Galland with slings ready, await the outcome of Munch and
Nexis.

	Munch, still on horseback, swings a bastard sword in a barbarian-like
style, and connects with the stomach of a troll, while, Nexis finishes him
off with a crushing blow of only his fist upon his face.

	At this Point, the fire, burns uncontrollably, and all attempt to
make way for the bridge, but notice that one troll, the only one which has
not been fighting, is pinned against the wall with a device never seen by any
members of the party before. with one carfull stroke, calvar slits the throat
of the vile creature, and puts him to death once again buy setting fire to the
bridge, after taking the strange weapon.

	On the otherside of the bridge, you all now notice that Maryah, Aiken
D'nath, Tannis, Nexis, Gornell and Destine, have left your ranks and are
nowhere to be found, It looks like you are on your own now!

I took the liberty of posting the moves sent to my from my GM, Ryan Ramsey.
As the group was moving as a whole and - as far as I know - we all received
the same mail, this should not adversely affect the game. Any further postings
of this game should and will come from Ryan (if he sees fit to do so). Also,
I recommend that they be moved to net.games.pbm. So, if you want to read them
(assuming Ryan posts them), that's probably where they will be.

			   the never present whisper spirit
                           (aka: Maryah of the Whispering Grove)

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

#         All Praise be to Silvanus               #
#         Protector of the Forests                #
#         Lord of all Woodland Beings             #