[net.games.frp] What ever happened to DragonQuest?

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/20/85)

In article <707@k.cs.cmu.edu> tim@k.cs.cmu.edu (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Glad Avalon Hill is finally living up to their contractual requirements to
>RQ, which were to produce four supplements a year.

What were the promices TSR made about DragonQuest? What ever happened to it?!
It WAS a decent game - kinda "poor man's" RuneQuest.....
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/20/85)

In article <707@k.cs.cmu.edu> tim@k.cs.cmu.edu (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Glad Avalon Hill is finally living up to their contractual requirements to
>RQ, which were to produce four supplements a year.

What were the promices TSR made about DragonQuest? What ever happened to it?!
It WAS a decent game - kinda "poor man's" RuneQuest.....
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
+-------------------------------+ Don't bother, I'll find the door!
| "VIOLATORS WILL BE TOAD!"	|                       Oleg Kiselev.
|		Dungeon Police	|...!{trwrb|scgvaxd}!felix!birtch!oleg
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg

lflgames@well.UUCP (Lucasfilm Games Division) (12/27/85)

	As far as I'm concerned, one of the worst aspects of SPI's
passing was the end that put to Dragonquest material, in particular
the modules on additional colleges of magic and other extensions that
never saw publication.  Dragonquest is a wonderful, consistent, adaptable
system.  Speaking as one disgusted with the kitchen sink approach of D+D,
I have found both playing in and running Dragonquest games to be a real
joy.  In particular, characters are handled very nicely.  You either get
a bunch of fairly good characteristics, or a couple exceptional ones and
a couple terrible ones - you decide how many points to allot to each
characteristic.  There's no "intelligence" characteristic, which is a
blessing if you've ever played a game with an idiot who couldn't figure
out what to do, and kept asking the DM to tell him the right approach
"because I have an 18 intelligence and can figure it out".  Instead, you
have characteristics like willpower and magical aptitude, which can figure
into a number of interesting game situations.  The magic system is alots
of fun, and encourages creativity rather than brute force.  You can customize
your character with whatever mix of skills you like, like ranger, healer,
assasin, courtesean, etc, instead of being limited to an unrealistic
"character class".  I could go on, but I'll spare you.  If anyone has
information on available Dragonquest info, let me know.  I've gleaned
up two Judge's Guild adventures and a handful of stuff from post-TSR
Ares and Dragon, but that's about it.

				Noah Falstein
				Lucasfilm Games Division
				(sorry for no more complete pathnames)
				well!lflgames
				(415) 485-5055

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/30/85)

A few rumours I have gathered :

        o       E. Gary Gygax is back at the helm of TSR, his former
                wife and her friends having gotten the boot from the
                capital lenders.

        o       TSR has published more in the last 3 months than in the
                whole last fiscal year. That includes "Unearthed Archana",
                Oriental AD&D, many modules, E.G.G.'s own fantasy novel,
                mass combat, high level setups and many other "wonders".

        o       At the time of sale, SPI had a compleat TYPESET volume
                of new colleges, new monsters, new skills and other
                new and exciting things ready for publication. TSR has
                "fulfilled" its obligations to DQ players by occasionally
                printing a short DQ article in the "Dragon" - whooppy doo!
I think it stinks, tho'. I hope AH does better with RQ ( they are pulling
the old "sell-apart" method of capitalization on an existant fandom).

Anybody wants to run DQ ( on the net or live if you are in Southern Cal)?

--
Disclamer: I don't work here anymore - so they are not responsible for me.