[net.games.frp] hirelings question

cc@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/16/86)

In article <318@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
>On that topic, just to introduce something new:  does *ANYONE* out there make
>use of hired followers?  Long ago, when I was starting to set up my campaign,
>I went to some effort to attempt to make it easy for people to hire followers,
>establishing Guilds of various professions, making sure that I had that
>section of the rules well in mind, et cetera.  To date, I think the players
>have hired exactly one hireling, if you want to be generous:  they rented a
>sage when they were badly in need of one.  (I had to drop a hint that they
>could do so)  In various campaigns I have been in as a player, I've never seen
>other players hire anyone.  Is this feature of [ The Generic Game* ] ever
>used, or is it just there in the manuals to round off a page?

In our on-going (>6 years old) D&D campaign we do this regularly. Players come
and go, some characters die. Quite often the party is in need of a cleric or a
competent thief to be able to undertake an adventure.

This being The Evil Group( all characters are different shades of Evil, the
best we come is a Chaotic Neutral ), there is very little trust between the
characters ( my two characters have a difficult time tolerating each other).
It seems that we as players trust the hired "experts" more than we trust our
comrades -- when you are paying to get healed you know the cleric will do just
THAT, and not the opposite ( the hired people in our campaign have professional
pride and belong to guilds that would flay them alive for mis-conduct).

So, to answer your question, It depends on the players confidence in the
hired help, their ability to pay for the services (50% of the fee ahead, 50%
later, additional charges for unforseen complications, if the job is to disarm
traps and pick locks on a treasure chest then maybe a share of the loot); AND
FORMOST it depends on the Game Master's ability to INFORM players of the
availability of hired help and GM's ability to preserve the game balance while
making life a bit easier for the players.